Anyone else seeing Windows 11 Guest abort on Guest Additions install?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
jphands

Anyone else seeing Windows 11 Guest abort on Guest Additions install?

Post by jphands »

Hi,

Just installed VBox 7 and the extension pack. I have a Windows 11 guest, which comes up and runs, seemingly normally. However, when I insert the Guest Addition virtual CD and run it, it gets part way through the installation process and then the guest suddenly aborts.

The situation is repeatable - 3 times so far. The W11 guest is current on all updates, as is the Ubuntu 22.04 host. The only change I made to the guest for VBox 7 was to add a TPM 2.0 so I can avoid those nasty registry hacks for TPM and Secure Boot.

Probably not worth noting is that a Linux guest didn't abort on GA install.

Is anyone else seeing this, or is it time to submit a new bug report?
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Anyone else seeing Windows 11 Guest abort on Guest Additions install?

Post by BillG »

Try uninstalling the old GAs first. Things seem to work differently for a GA update in Version 7 for Windows 8.1/10/11 guests.
Bill
jphands

Post by jphands »

Thanks for the suggestion, Bill.

When I tried to uninstall the old GAs, Windows showed that the version 7 GAs were installed, even after the repeated session aborts. I removed them anyway, and rebooted and reinstalled. The installer runs part way and the guest aborts as before. Windows now shows that the GAs are not installed....another GA install, crash and reboot shows that the V7 GAs are installed according to Windows, but I'm not sure if the install is complete or correct...there are some graphics problems - no window controls (maximize, minimize, close) showing on a running program and odd behavior on resizing the Guest window.

I'm not sure what I can do next to debug further.
i12bretro

Post by i12bretro »

I'm having the same issue. I ended up installing the 6.1.40 guest additions for the time being to correct the issues with menus/transparency.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

That is odd. I have not seen any problems updating from 6.1.40 to 7.0.0 GAs. I have seen problems updating from 6.1.38 or earlier (because GA updates work differently in version 7).
Bill
i12bretro

Post by i12bretro »

It's very odd. I've done some more tinkering and can say the guest additions 7 video driver is what causes the VM to crash and also the transparency issues. As soon as I remove the driver or change to an older version the transparency issue is fixed. I also tried installing GA in safe mode and it still caused the VM to go into an aborted state.
jphands

Post by jphands »

There's ticket https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/21161, opened the other day, and to which I've added my input.

It's very repeatable. It also occurs on Windows 10. Even after WIndows says it believed the GAs are installed, there are many graphics issues, and further attempts to install it also lead to a guest abort.
i12bretro

Post by i12bretro »

Yes, I am seeing the same behavior. The Windows 11 VM I've been testing on is fully up to date, so the suggestion from the ticket didn't resolve it for me.
i12bretro

Post by i12bretro »

I was testing with the new 7.0.2 guest additions and found that if I uncheck the "Enable 3D Acceleration" option in the VM Display settings the guest additions installation completed without crashing the VM and the transparency issues within the guest OS were corrected.

Re-enabling the "Enable 3D Acceleration" option after installing GA caused the transparency/display issues to return.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

i12bretro wrote:the transparency issues within the guest OS were corrected.
I doubt that "corrected" is the appropriate description. That would imply that you have transparency working, which I suspect is not the case, as the underlying hardware would not support it once 3D is disabled. If you mean that Windows can't mess up a feature that isn't available then - true! But disabling all acceleration benefits is a high price to pay for that.
i12bretro wrote:Re-enabling the "Enable 3D Acceleration" option after installing GA caused the transparency/display issues to return.
Transparency Effects need to be disabled within Windows Settings.

Thanks for your observation that it seems to be an issue with updating the GAs when 3D acceleration is enabled.
i12bretro

Post by i12bretro »

mpack wrote:I doubt that "corrected" is the appropriate description.
Fair. Transparency is not working. There definitely appears to be an issue with the 3D acceleration in Windows 11 guests.
Andy66

Post by Andy66 »

I'm also experiencing the same issues.

- With 3D Acceleration enabled in Windows 11 guest:
Transparency issues and unable to take screenshots (they come out black, no matter the software used).
Overall good performance and stability.

- With 3D acceleration disabled:
All graphics are ok but the system freezes after a few clicks and needs a (horrible) power off.

This is with Windows 11 host, 32 GB RAM (12 assigned to the VM) Intel i7 11th generation.
VBox 7.0.2 r154219, Extension pack installed.
ipena

Post by ipena »

Andy66 wrote:I'm also experiencing the same issues.

Transparency issues and unable to take screenshots (they come out black, no matter the software used).

All graphics are ok but the system freezes after a few clicks and needs a (horrible) power off.

This is with Windows 11 host, 32 GB RAM (12 assigned to the VM) Intel i7 11th generation.

I have the same behavior,

Host Operating System: Pop Os!
Guest: Windows 11

I can't install Office 365 I require to enable 3D Acceleration and it doesn't show the Setup interface just a blank box.

Laptop:

Kernel: 6.0.3-76060003-generic
Resolution: 1920x1080
CPU: 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H (20) @ 4.600GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Mobile
GPU: Intel Alder Lake-P
Memory: 30705MiB / 31947MiB
MoinDix

Post by MoinDix »

Hi,

having the same issue, VB guest add. makes the Win 11 guest abort.

Besides that I can run the Win 11 guest for about 2 min and then it aborts

KR

MoinDix
Wowsoppel

Post by Wowsoppel »

Andy66 wrote:I'm also experiencing the same issues.

I am experiencing the exact same thing! So annoying! Are they addressing this? I haven't heard anything at all.