Anyone else seeing Windows 11 Guest abort on Guest Additions install?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
MoinDix

Re: Anyone else seeing Windows 11 Guest abort on Guest Additions install?

Post by MoinDix »

Just installed 7.04 ..

Same issue , VB guest addons kills my VB window containing the WIN 11 Guest.

KR
MoinDix
MoinDix

Post by MoinDix »

MoinDix wrote:Hi,

having the same issue, VB guest add. makes the Win 11 guest abort.

Besides that I can run the Win 11 guest for about 2 min and then it aborts

KR

MoinDix
OK .. so my provious WIN11 guest had a corrupt VB guest add-on, I was not able to uninstall it the normal way. I removed the win11 instance
I upgraded to 7.04 and installed a fresh Win11 with success.
But 1 issue strikes me, it seems that the hosting window of the Win11 guest is not acting on a reboot of the Win11, during the install I had a black screen were it should restart and after the VB guest add-on, it asks for the reboot, it starts the reboot but the screen freezes on the "Reboot" and the running circle.

MoinDix
DocBrown
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux Fedora11,Windows Vista,Windows Server 2008

Post by DocBrown »

Yes, I'm seeing this. If I don't install GA, then the VM is stable. After I install the GAs then the system aborts. The scenario is: Install goes well, I reboot the system as expected. I'm dong normal activity, nothing special, and all the sudden it appears to freeze. A few seconds later, the VM resets to the boot loader screen.
This is the first time I've fired up a Win 11 VM since I installed VB 7.0. Of course, I don't know if the issue is in GA or somewhere else and the GA's are just triggering the problem. I have also uninstalled VB and the GA from the Guest and reinstalled from scratch, the the problem is still present.

I was on VB 7.0.6, I down graded to 7.0.2, but the abort still happens. So now I'm back on 6.1.42 until I hear of a fix for this.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

For problems with 7.0 graphics or seize-ups:

7.0 is still in bug-hunt phase, and graphics had a code change.

Please upgrade to the latest 7.0 Virtualbox, Extension Pack if used, and Guest Additions.

If this does not get a stable VM, try switching the 3D acceleration setting (off > on or on > off). If that stabilizes the VM, please note that this happened.

Please create a ticket in the Bugtracker with the problem description, the manufacturer and model of the host PC's graphics card, the graphics driver version (on the host OS), and a (zipped) VBox.log file.

If your host OS is Linux, please provide a zip file with the output of the 'vulkaninfo' command in the Bugtracker ticket, too. (on Debian/Ubuntu/Mint hosts, you may have to install the vulkan-tools package).

Then you could downgrade Virtualbox, Extension Pack and Guest Additions to 6.1.something, or at least the Guest Additions. 3D acceleration won't be possible if you only downgrade the GAs. For full 3D acceleration using the old stable code, downgrade all three.