How to connect guest VM to rest of local network?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
SomervilleTom

How to connect guest VM to rest of local network?

Post by SomervilleTom »

I have a guest VM running Windows 10 Pro on a RockyLinux host. All is working fine. I'm using `Bridged` networking, and that seems to be fine.

I have another machine in the network, at 192.168.0.145, that offers a samba share. I'm trying to connect to it from my Windows guest VM.

I've already got an entry in the `hosts` file on the guest VM that binds the name ('tms-office') to the above IP address ('192.168.0.145'). I have full connectivity between the underlying Linux VM and the desired target machine -- I'm able to SSH to it with no problems. I'm able to run VisualStudio Code (VSC) in the Windows Guest VM and connect from VSC to the target machine using the "Remote SSH" extension in VSC. So the network connectivity is good.

I can't find documentation that says what I need to do so that I see 'tms-office' or 192.168.0.145 from the Windows guest VM. When open a "Run" dialog (Windows-R), enter '\\182.168.0.145', and then click "OK", the dialog just goes away. I expect it to instead open a network browser showing the shared samba folder. Instead, it does nothing.

What am I missing?
SomervilleTom

Re: How to connect guest VM to rest of local network?

Post by SomervilleTom »

Never mind.

I had forgotten to open the samba port in the target system's firewall.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: How to connect guest VM to rest of local network?

Post by scottgus1 »

Glad you're up and running! You might find this helpful for understanding Virtualbox networking: Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures