Windows 10 restarting in virtual box. Silhost.exe. Some help pls?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
stanmih2

Windows 10 restarting in virtual box. Silhost.exe. Some help pls?

Post by stanmih2 »

Hello,

I have the following problem with windows 10 in virtual box:
I installed windows 10 as a virtual machine about 8 months ago. Right from the beginning, I had problems with Windows, for which I also had a license. The problem was that I could not install virtualbox guest additions until an update was made to virtualbox 6.1. After some time after the installation, Windows started restarting itself (especially when I was working in Microsoft Excel and, of course, the Microsoft Office that I still had with a license could not recover what was lost after the restart). At one point it gave 10-15 restarts a day. Now, for some time, I can barely start windows in virtualbox. In the sense that, after entering the login password, it takes a long time to open and I get an error: silhost.exe -> unknown hard error. More recently, an error appears, after which the screen is completely black and the windows are restarted and the recovery/repair windows option appears, but I can't quite manage to turn it on. I have some important documents that I would like to recover before I create another virtual machine. Has anyone encountered similar problems?
Thanks! A beautiful day!

P.S. I forgot to mention that the error and the black screen appeared after I updated ubuntu to 22 (yes, I use virtualbox in ubuntu).
Attachments
4.png
4.png (9.72 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
3.png
3.png (8.54 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 10 restarting in virtual box. Silhost.exe. Some help pls?

Post by scottgus1 »

The most recent Linux kernels require the most recent Virtualbox. Incompatibilities in this area have caused bad VM running on Linux hosts.

Upgrade to official 6.1.38 from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads, and handle the prerequisites first: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq
stanmih2 wrote:important documents that I would like to recover
If you're not using snapshots, The VM's disk can be attached to another working VM to access the data therein.