VM Not Starting Up

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
quintenbuijs

VM Not Starting Up

Post by quintenbuijs »

Hi i recently moved all the files on my P Diskto desktop and removed the disk than remade it to enlargen the size of the disk than moved all the files back. Now i see that the vm's are not starting anymore. See the logs attachted down below.
Attachments
Guacamole-2022-09-12-10-59-30.log
Guacamole VM
(87.06 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
HomeAssistant-2022-09-12-11-11-11.log
HomeAssistant VM
(99.12 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VM Not Starting Up

Post by scottgus1 »

quintenbuijs wrote:the vm's are not starting anymore.
Actually, both logs show VM 'hardware' starting and running just fine. The OS's inside the VMs might not be running, though.
quintenbuijs wrote:moved all the files on my P Diskto desktop ... than moved all the files back
Did you do a file-compare to confirm that the files copied correctly?

The VMs are only data files to Virtualbox, like .doc's are to Word or PNGs are to Paint. The VMs need to stay in the places Virtualbox has been programmed to look for them, but it appears that you put them back correctly, since Virtualbox started the VMs, as the logs show.

So maybe you'd need to explain this a bit more, as in exactly what you moved and how you moved it:
quintenbuijs wrote:i recently moved all the files on my P Diskto desktop ... than moved all the files back
or this:
quintenbuijs wrote:remade it to enlargen the size of the disk
what "it" did you resize? the VM's disk file? Or the P drive?

Curiously, Virtualbox is also installed on the P drive:
00:00:05.965926 Executable: P:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VirtualBoxVM.exe
and the path to the VM's vdi's have a full Windows Users path:
00:00:06.198738 File system of 'P:\Users\Administrator\VirtualBox VMs\Guacamole\Guacamole.vdi' is ntfs
00:00:06.481862 File system of 'P:\Users\Administrator\VirtualBox VMs\HomeAssistant\HomeAssistant-disk001.vdi' is ntfs
So was this P drive a complete Windows install? And are you booting to the P drive? If you're booting from the C drive, are you running the P drive Virtualbox install without installing it on the C drive?
quintenbuijs

Post by quintenbuijs »

I have an Dedicated Server at home in a server rack. The server is an HP Proliant DL380P G8. I have 1 hard disk installed, I made an partition that i call P:\ Drive. I moved all the things from the partition drive to desktop and removed the drive did not check if things are moved right but i thought it was moved right. The C:\ drive is where windows is installed. The P Drive couldn't enlarge the size so i had to delete it and remake it so i did and copyed all the files back to the P:\ Drive

Images Down Below in Attachment
Attachments
Images.txt
(118 Bytes) Downloaded 3 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Please post your images using the Upload Attachment tab.

However, the logs show the VM 'hardware' running, so the problem looks to be inside the VMs' OS's. Copying the VM folder is a perfect way to back up a VM, provided that the copy works.

Try using the VM OS's help channels to find out how to troubleshoot the OS's directly, as if they were installed on a real PC. Or restore the VMs from your backups.

One thing else I can think of:
quintenbuijs wrote:i recently moved all the files on my P Diskto desktop
scottgus1 wrote:Virtualbox is also installed on the P drive:
00:00:05.965926 Executable: P:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VirtualBoxVM.exe
You might have to reinstall Virtualbox, something in the copy of the executables & dlls could've broken Virtualbox.
quintenbuijs

Post by quintenbuijs »

I reinstalled VirtualBox But it didn't fix it i will try using the VM OS's help channels
quintenbuijs

Post by quintenbuijs »

Where can i find the OS's help channels
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Use a web-search. "Ubuntu stuck booting" "Can't get to Windows desktop" etc, tuned to the OS's in the VM.