[solved] USB scanner in printer not appearing (HP Laser MFP 135a)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
korda

[solved] USB scanner in printer not appearing (HP Laser MFP 135a)

Post by korda »

mpack wrote:
00:00:00.983520 VirtualBox VM 6.1.34_Ubuntu r150636 linux.amd64 (May 13 2022 07:34:48) release log
That is the Ubuntu third party build of VirtualBox, you can get support for that on the Ubuntu forums.

If you want support here then please install the official version (see the "Get VirtualBox" icon below). This is all the more important since you need 6.1.36 or later to support current Linux host kernels. I see you were already told this back in July.
I have installed VirtualBox 6.38 from Oracle's PPA. The guest machine seems to work fine except for the USB printer (HP MFP 135a).

On the guest machine I have installed the latest updated vendor full driver package, I have filtered the USB connection for the printer. Printing works well, but scanner seems to be not recognised.

The extension pack for virtualbox is already installed.
Last edited by korda on 11. Sep 2022, 09:27, edited 3 times in total.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: BSOD during installation

Post by Martin »

Maybe the has aseerate USB ID. Can you check if another HP USB device is available?
korda

Post by korda »

Martin wrote:Maybe the has aseerate USB ID. Can you check if another HP USB device is available?
I have no availability for another HP USB device.

How can I check the USB ID?

It sounds very strange to me that, on the guest machine, in the multifunction device the printer correctly works while the scanner is not recognized. Conversely, on the host machine they both work.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

korda wrote: It sounds very strange to me that, on the guest machine, in the multifunction device the printer correctly works while the scanner is not recognized.
I don't know why you would consider that strange, since it's perfectly normal. The printer is a composite device: effectively a USB hub behind which are a number of devices, each of which can be separately captured by the VM.

What's strange to me is why you are doing it this awkward way. The normal way to share a printer between PCs is not to move the USB cable around, it's to share the printer on a network. That applies even when one of the PCs is virtual.
korda

Post by korda »

mpack wrote:
korda wrote: It sounds very strange to me that, on the guest machine, in the multifunction device the printer correctly works while the scanner is not recognized.
I don't know why you would consider that strange, since it's perfectly normal. The printer is a composite device: effectively a USB hub behind which are a number of devices, each of which can be separately captured by the VM.

What's strange to me is why you are doing it this awkward way. The normal way to share a printer between PCs is not to move the USB cable around, it's to share the printer on a network. That applies even when one of the PCs is virtual.
I cannot understand your personal "awkward ways", I simply want to use my USB device either on guest and host. I wont share anything else creating unnecessary network workarounds for a virtual machine I use locally.

Anyway here (the attachment) there is a snapshot: actually, as well, I found only an individual device for my MFP device. Where could I distinguish the scanner and the printer?
Attachments
snap.png
snap.png (65.79 KiB) Viewed 3636 times
korda

Post by korda »

korda wrote:
mpack wrote:

I cannot understand your personal "awkward ways", I simply want to use my USB device either on guest and host. I wont share anything else creating unnecessary network workarounds for a virtual machine I use locally.

Anyway here (the attachment) there is a snapshot: actually, as well, I found only an individual device for my MFP device. Where could I distinguish the scanner and the printer?
Here there is what I see from host machine, where both printer and scanner work together fine
Attachments
host.png
host.png (46.73 KiB) Viewed 3630 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: USB scanner in printer not appearing

Post by scottgus1 »

Since this is a USB question, please carefully go through USB basics and troubleshooting. If you finish all the steps 1-7 and cannot get your USB device into the guest OS, carefully post the outputs of the commands in step 8 as text, not screenshots. Zip and post the logs step 8 call for, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
korda

Post by korda »

scottgus1 wrote:Since this is a USB question, please carefully go through USB basics and troubleshooting. If you finish all the steps 1-7 and cannot get your USB device into the guest OS, carefully post the outputs of the commands in step 8 as text, not screenshots. Zip and post the logs step 8 call for, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
I have followed the steps from 1 to 7 without success.

I attach the log requested from step 8, (info from the shell commands are listed in the file INFO.log)

Edit: I cannot Connect your device directly to the computer and not through a hub since the USB connections for printer and scanner respectively are internally bundled (I suppose) into the multifunction MFP device. Externally it has only a single USB connection

Edit 2: the device has only USB outptut, no ethernet nor WiFi. Nevertheless, the printer is already shared over the network through CUPS, as strongly suggested by the Linux communities. On the guest machine I still use the direct USB with the HP's drivers and I would avoid setting up a dedicated SAMBA server just for the scanner.
Attachments
Scanner.zip
(35.78 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

korda wrote:I cannot understand your personal "awkward ways", I simply want to use my USB device either on guest and host.
I'm not mpack, but most users simply want to print from the host and from the guest without having to explicitly make a selection. When you let VirtualBox capture the printer as an USB device, it's not available to the host while the guest is running, so you can only print from the host or from the guest at any time.

Regarding your main issue: There is currently a known issue between VirtualBox 6.1.36|38 and USB3 mass storage devices. Just in case, I'd suggest to try the USB 1.1 (OHCI) Controller and the USB 2.0 (OHCI + EHCI) Controller in the VM settings.
korda

Post by korda »

fth0 wrote:
korda wrote:I cannot understand your personal "awkward ways", I simply want to use my USB device either on guest and host.
I'm not mpack, but most users simply want to print from the host and from the guest without having to explicitly make a selection. When you let VirtualBox capture the printer as an USB device, it's not available to the host while the guest is running, so you can only print from the host or from the guest at any time.

Regarding your main issue: There is currently a known issue between VirtualBox 6.1.36|38 and USB3 mass storage devices. Just in case, I'd suggest to try the USB 1.1 (OHCI) Controller and the USB 2.0 (OHCI + EHCI) Controller in the VM settings.
Yep, I am aware about the capture of the device. Indeed, I don't use printer on guest and host simultaneously.
Whenever I am working on guest I print from guest, otherwise I print from host (after the guest is switched off).

According to boolean speaking it is more correct to adopt an xor instead of a generic or (inclusive or esclusive? X-D )

For what concern my issue the device is not a mass storage. Anyway I have also tried USB 2.0 without success.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

korda wrote:According to boolean speaking it is more correct to adopt an xor instead of a generic or (inclusive or esclusive? X-D )
Agreed, but then many of the readers of the VirtualBox forums would have to google the meaning of "xor". And even "and" and "or" can have the opposite meaning in natural language, so it's difficult to get it right at all. ;)
korda wrote:For what concern my issue the device is not a mass storage. Anyway I have also tried USB 2.0 without success.
I'm aware that your printer/scanner is no mass storage device, but that known issue is (probably) not understood or fixed so far, so there could be other related issues. The three different virtual USB controllers have quite different implementations, so it's worth trying them for a test, even if you don't want to work with them later on.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks Korda for the diagnostic data. It looks like we're missing something, though:

VBoxManage list usbhost

This command should show what USB devices are showing on the host, especially if the printer and scanner show up as separate devices. You have posted some things above that seem to show the host USB devices, but I'd like to see the 'usbhost' output, just to be sure.
korda

Post by korda »

scottgus1 wrote:Thanks Korda for the diagnostic data. It looks like we're missing something, though:

VBoxManage list usbhost

This command should show what USB devices are showing on the host, especially if the printer and scanner show up as separate devices. You have posted some things above that seem to show the host USB devices, but I'd like to see the 'usbhost' output, just to be sure.
Apologize for the missing list, here there is attached.

Printer and scanner seem to be referred to a single device, likewise it happens if I launch lsusb from the host side (as you also mentioned the screenshot at the previous post)
fth0 wrote: I'm aware that your printer/scanner is no mass storage device, but that known issue is (probably) not understood or fixed so far, so there could be other related issues. The three different virtual USB controllers have quite different implementations, so it's worth trying them for a test, even if you don't want to work with them later on.
I have tried also the USB 1.1 controller right now.... nope....
Attachments
usbhost.log
(3.41 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the 'usbhost' output file.
korda wrote:Printer and scanner seem to be referred to a single device
I concur, it looks like there is only one device showing as the printer. And the log shows the printer going into the VM. In fact it seems that the 'lsusb' screenshot above also shows only the printer as a whole, not the scanner as a separate device. It does not appear that the scanner can be separately filtered.

Since you're able to print with the printer forwarded into the VM, it appears that Virtualbox's part of the equation is working. I doubt there is anything else that can be done to specially enable the scanner. You may have to take this up with HP to see why their software doesn't see the scanner. Or you may have to (wince) drop back to the previous suggestion of letting the host handle the printer & scanner, and sharing the printer into the VM. It would be up to the HP software to see if there was a way to share the scanner too.
korda wrote:I wont share anything else creating unnecessary network workarounds for a virtual machine I use locally.
FWIW the Virtualbox Host-Only network allows connection between the VM and host only, without internet or other host LAN getting into the VM. A shared printer should be able to go over Host-Only.
korda

Post by korda »

scottgus1 wrote:Thanks for the 'usbhost' output file.
korda wrote:Printer and scanner seem to be referred to a single device
I concur, it looks like there is only one device showing as the printer. And the log shows the printer going into the VM. In fact it seems that the 'lsusb' screenshot above also shows only the printer as a whole, not the scanner as a separate device. It does not appear that the scanner can be separately filtered.

Since you're able to print with the printer forwarded into the VM, it appears that Virtualbox's part of the equation is working. I doubt there is anything else that can be done to specially enable the scanner. You may have to take this up with HP to see why their software doesn't see the scanner. Or you may have to (wince) drop back to the previous suggestion of letting the host handle the printer & scanner, and sharing the printer into the VM. It would be up to the HP software to see if there was a way to share the scanner too.
korda wrote:I wont share anything else creating unnecessary network workarounds for a virtual machine I use locally.
FWIW the Virtualbox Host-Only network allows connection between the VM and host only, without internet or other host LAN getting into the VM. A shared printer should be able to go over Host-Only.
Maybe the issue could be related to the Windows driver. I noticed that HP released them recently (but I haven't still found the oldest ones).

One way is to test the MFP on a brand new bare metal Windows machine, another way should be to configure an host SAMBA server for the scanner and use it from the guest such as a shared device. Mmmmh... don't like in both cases, but I can try

Otherwise, how could I create a VirtualBox Host-Only network connection?

In order to highlight a specific device issue could you replace the title of this thread mentioning the specific model (HP Laser MFP 135a)?