[solved] USB scanner in printer not appearing (HP Laser MFP 135a)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: USB scanner in printer not appearing (HP Laser MFP 135a)

Post by scottgus1 »

The printer model is added to the topic title.
korda wrote:how could I create a VirtualBox Host-Only network connection?
I'm going to assume you had no network in the VM yet. It could be possible the VM was set to NAT, as that is the default.

If you had no network, then under the VM's Network settings, set one of the VM's network adapters to Enabled. Set "Attached To" dropdown to Host-Only Adapter. The "Name" dropdown should switch to Virtualbox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter.

If you had the first adapter enabled and set to NAT, then your VM had internet. If you didn't want that, you could change the "Attached To" dropdown from NAT to Host-Only Adapter. If you wanted internet in the VM, then enable the second adapter and set its "Attached To" dropdown to Host-Only Adapter.

Provided the defaults are all unchanged, the VM OS should see a new 192.168.56.# network, with the host at 192.168.56.1. You'd find the printer on \\192.168.56.1
korda

Re: [solved] USB scanner in printer not appearing (HP Laser MFP 135a)

Post by korda »

I solved the issue after a system update.

Installing the latest* full driver and software package released from the HP website is not enough.

Further HP update, stored on Microsoft Windows Update repo, is also needed.

Embarassing...

*: released on May 30, 2022
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: [solved] USB scanner in printer not appearing (HP Laser MFP 135a)

Post by scottgus1 »

korda wrote:Embarassing...
Been there done that. :D Not a problem at all! HP really should have an all-comprehensive installer that doesn't rely on a Microsoft-distributed update, anyway.

Glad you're up and running!