Browsers in Windows 10 Guest start crashing since August 2022

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
dyle71

Browsers in Windows 10 Guest start crashing since August 2022

Post by dyle71 »

#!/bin/hi *

I've been using a Windows 10 Guest on a Linux host for years now. But since August 2022 the browsers in the Windows 10 Guest started crashing. I did not install any new software in Windows or changed anything. Current VirtualBox is 6.1.32.

Code: Select all

$ dpkg --list | grep -i virtualbox
ii  virtualbox                                    6.1.34-dfsg-3~ubuntu1.22.04.1               amd64        x86 virtualization solution - base binaries
ii  virtualbox-dkms                               6.1.34-dfsg-3~ubuntu1.22.04.1               amd64        x86 virtualization solution - kernel module sources for dkms
ii  virtualbox-ext-pack                           6.1.34-1~ubuntu1.22.04.1                    all          extra capabilities for VirtualBox, downloader.
ii  virtualbox-qt                                 6.1.34-dfsg-3~ubuntu1.22.04.1               amd64        x86 virtualization solution - Qt based user interface
This started happening with Chrome *and* Firefox in the guest. Both browsers simply disappear within the Guest.

Then I started creating new fresh Windows 10 Guests with vanilla Windows 10 ISO images.

Even without anything added, already the standard Windows 10 Edge Browser starts crashing without any VirtualBox Guest Additions installed. The attached log is a VM showing me a "STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION" in Chrome after I succeeded in installing at least Chrome in a plain new WIndows 10 Guest (no VBox Additions installed).

I played around a little with VBox graphic drivers and Chipset settings to no avail.

BTW: the same setup works on a physical different machine but the very same Linux host system installed.

VirtualBox before 6.1.32 was working flawlessly. What can I do?

Thx!
Attachments
Wndows 10 Test-2022-09-06-13-12-50.zip
(34.68 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Browsers in Windows 10 Guest start crashing since August 2022

Post by mpack »

I see no mention of STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION in the log provided.

Since the problems seems to apply to multiple applications of a similar type I'm going to guess that it's your host graphics drivers crashing out. Perhaps check for updates.

I note that although you have enabled 3D acceleration, requiring the Guest Additions, I see no sign that the GAs are installed.

Why did you force the graphics RAM to 256MB? The largest display size I see being used is 1024x768, so it doesn't seem like 128MB was a problem.

Oh - and you aren't actually using VirtualBox, you are using a third party build (Ubuntu's) that we don't support here. You get support for Ubuntu packages on the Ubuntu forums.
dyle71

Post by dyle71 »

mpack wrote:I see no mention of STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION in the log provided.
Sure, it's been in Chrome (as I wrote). That's a message Chrome showed me, not VBox.
mpack wrote:Since the problems seem to apply to multiple applications of a similar type I'm going to guess that it's your host graphics drivers crashing out. Perhaps check for updates.
My host system is up-to-date to the latest avail. I even run Steam games on the system. Also, the host system logs were quiet and silent when the Windows 10 Guest browser crashes. I highly doubt this a matter of the host system.
I note that although you have enabled 3D acceleration, requiring the Guest Additions, I see no sign that the GAs are installed.

Why did you force the graphics RAM to 256MB? The largest display size I see being used is 1024x768, so it doesn't seem like 128MB was a problem.
Yes. As I wrote, I played around with the settings. Give more/fewer graphics RAM, check/uncheck 3D Acceleration, use different Chipsets, more/fewer CPU cores, etc. These are just remnants of my latest tries. Sadly, to no avail. Nothing so far I tried had any impact. Ok, this is not precisely true: Enabling EFI caused Windows 10 to refrain to launch and I did not dare to disable I/O APIC.
Oh - and you aren't actually using VirtualBox, you are using a third-party build (Ubuntu's) that we don't support here. You get support for Ubuntu packages on the Ubuntu forums.
Ah, ok. I'll install these then.
dyle71

Post by dyle71 »

Ok, kicked the Ubuntu 6.1.34 from the host system, and downloaded the upstream 6.1.38 from (www virtualBox org . wik . Linux_Downloads)- and ... **it works!**

I even added GA, 3D Acceleration, 256MB graphics RAM and am watching some random youtube video in the Windows 10 Guest Chrome installation now.

Ok, seems Ubuntu 6.1.34 for the Ubuntu 22.04 LTS is broken (at least on some of my systems).

Solved. Is there any forum annotations to mark this thread as solved?

edit: Though, there are now some graphic artefacts. Maybe I turn off 3D...

edit2: yes, 3D Acceleration does not work. However, the browser remains running.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

VirtualBox 6.1.36 or later is needed to be compatible with newer Linux kernels. I don't remember if your host kernel (5.15) is one of those.

Graphics artifacts in Windows 10 are a well known problem. You need to turn off "transparency effects" in the guest.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

dyle71 wrote:Ok, seems Ubuntu 6.1.34 for the Ubuntu 22.04 LTS is broken (at least on some of my systems).
Yes, this combination is broken for everyone ATM. The "Ubuntu people" are currently working on building VirtualBox 6.1.38_Ubuntu. Should become ready in the coming days.