Windows 10 August 2022 update causes guest hang on boot (topic split)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
TomMainz

Windows 10 August 2022 update causes guest hang on boot (topic split)

Post by TomMainz »

(topic split by mod from original as this user scenario is sufficiently different (Ubuntu vs MacOS host) to warrant its own topic)
I am having the same problem.
My host system is Mac OS 12.5.1, guest system is Windows 10, 64bit. I never had any problem to update Windows 10 until the August 2022 updates.
The August 2022 update hangs(?) after reboot. I do see the moving dots, but no other graphics and no progress in the booting process for > 30 minutes. It seems it is stuck/frozen.

My Virtualbox version (initially) was 6.1.36 with Extension Pack.

Yesterday I updated VB to to 6.1.38, went back to a saved backup of Windows from July 2022 (the last one working fine) and tried to install the Windows August updates one more time. Again, no success.
For now I am running Windows 10 without the August updates

Thanks a lot for help,
Thomas
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 10 August 2022 update causes guest hang on boot (topic split)

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
TomMainz

Post by TomMainz »

mpack,
Thanks a lot for your fast reply, and sorry for not providing the log file with my initial post.

Here you go...

Thomas
Attachments
Win 10-2022.log.zip
(37.18 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Last edited by TomMainz on 8. Sep 2022, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

The Win 7 to 10-2022-09-05-12-56-42.log file indicates that VBoxService.exe and VBoxTray.exe were not started after the reboot. Several ideas to try:

1. To rule out any issues with the VirtualBox Guest Additions (GA), you could uninstall the GA, reboot the guest OS and try the Windows update again. Please report if that makes any difference. If it hung again:

2. Run the Windows update and do not reboot the guest OS, but shut it down instead, then start the VM again. The difference is that with this procedure, not only the guest OS is started anew, but also the VM is started afresh.

3. Analyse the issue as if it happened on a physical PC instead of in a VM.
TomMainz

Post by TomMainz »

fth0 wrote:The Win 7 to 10-2022-09-05-12-56-42.log file indicates that VBoxService.exe and VBoxTray.exe were not started after the reboot. Several ideas to try:

1. To rule out any issues with the VirtualBox Guest Additions (GA), you could uninstall the GA, reboot the guest OS and try the Windows update again. Please report if that makes any difference. If it hung again:

2. Run the Windows update and do not reboot the guest OS, but shut it down instead, then start the VM again. The difference is that with this procedure, not only the guest OS is started anew, but also the VM is started afresh.

3. Analyse the issue as if it happened on a physical PC instead of in a VM.
Re1: Deinstallation of the GA before the update did not help.

Re2: Shutting down instead of a reboot also did not help

Re3: So you mean, it is rather a Windows 10 problem than an issue of VB ?
Well, if "ScottB_NJ" (from the other thread) and myself are the only two VB users (with Windows 10 as their guest OS) facing problems with the August 2022 Windows updates, then it might be an individual Windows 10 issue on each of our guest OSs. - But I am not sure: I did not change/install/uninstall anything on my guest OS between the July updates and end of August, I was out of office...

Anyway, thanks "fth0" for your help.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Another recent poster said that there was insufficient disk space to allow the update. What's your free disk space inside the VM? See How to Resize a Drive.
TomMainz

Post by TomMainz »

scottgus1 wrote:Another recent poster said that there was insufficient disk space to allow the update. What's your free disk space inside the VM?
scottgus1,
Yes, good idea! I checked, but there is 30 GB left on a 50 GB drive.
There is not much on it. Just a few (old, but very useful) Windows tools, which I don't want to give up...

Thanks,
Thomas
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

TomMainz wrote:So you mean, it is rather a Windows 10 problem than an issue of VB ?
I don't know. Generally speaking, it's a problem of your setup as a whole (PC hardware, host OS installation, VirtualBox, guest OS installation). If you remove one of those 4 components, the problem will also vanish ;)).

For example, if you pretended that the problem occurred on a physical PC, you'd naturally google for known issues of the August 2022 Windows updates and discover potential audio issues. On a physical PC, you'd then perhaps disable the audio device before installing the Windows update. And now you're happy that in a VM, it's even easier to disable the audio device for a test. :)
TomMainz

Post by TomMainz »

fth0 wrote: ... you'd naturally google for known issues of the August 2022 Windows updates and discover potential audio issues. On a physical PC, you'd then perhaps disable the audio device before installing the Windows update. And now you're happy that in a VM, it's even easier to disable the audio device for a test. :)
Ok, I followed your advise and disabled "Audio" in my VB-Manager. Then I started my VM (from a July backup) and applied the Win10 August updates again.... and....

.... it still hangs after the reboot :-(

I have attached my VM log file here, I fear it contains no new information compared to my last log file (with audio enabled).

Thomas
Attachments
Win 10-2022-09-07.log.zip
(35.03 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Last edited by TomMainz on 8. Sep 2022, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I may be missing it, but nobody seems to have pointed out that you are over allocating RAM.
00:00:01.209063 Host RAM: 16384MB (16.0GB) total, 6872MB (6.7GB) available
00:00:01.321413 RamSize <integer> = 0x00000001ebe00000 (8 252 293 120, 7 870 MB, 7.6 GB)
00:00:01.321622 VRamSize <integer> = 0x0000000003200000 (52 428 800, 50 MB)
I think you should reduce the RAM allocation to 4096MB. OTOH the graphics RAM (VRAM) allocation looks a bit low. I would increase that to 128MB and I would enable 3D acceleration if your MacOS host supports it.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

TomMainz wrote:Ok, I followed your advise and disabled "Audio" in my VB-Manager.
Thanks for testing. :)

The Win 10-2022-09-07.log file didn't make me recognize new hints to understand the cause of your problem, but I could compare a few things to the log files of the other affected user. You can of course adapt other ideas I mentioned in the other thread, if you're so inclined.

mpack wrote:I may be missing it, but nobody seems to have pointed out that you are over allocating RAM.
You're right that it could have played a role here (the new log file shows plenty of RAM). Personally, I didn't mention it because the VM statistics showed me that for the Windows guest OS, which allocates the whole memory during it's startup, VirtualBox had no unexpected (*) problems reserving and allocating the whole memory from the host OS. This could create a memory shortage in the host OS, though.

(*) The two refused large page requests (/PGM/LargePage/Refused) are quite normal and often seen.
TomMainz

Post by TomMainz »

mpack wrote:I may be missing it, but nobody seems to have pointed out that you are over allocating RAM.

I think you should reduce the RAM allocation to 4096MB. OTOH the graphics RAM (VRAM) allocation looks a bit low. I would increase that to 128MB and I would enable 3D acceleration if your MacOS host supports it.
Thanks for this idea!
So I reduced my RAM to 4096MB, increased graphics RAM to 128MB and activated 3D acceleration.

Then I did my daily restore from the 2022 July Windows 10 VM and installed the August updates again (I get used to it :roll: ), then restarted Windows.

... well, no progress, it is still hanging,

But one little thing is different: right after the reboot I see the moving circulating dots (as before), but after a few seconds it switches to just a black screen, seems to be frozen...
Maybe my attached new log file provides any clue ?

Thanks,
Thomas
Attachments
Win 10-2022-09-08-16.zip
(40.31 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The new log still shows you dangerously close to exhausting RAM, and no improvement to graphics RAM. What is it that you think you changed?
TomMainz

Post by TomMainz »

Opps, I changed it in the VB Manager as mentioned above. But I guess my afterwards restored VM has written back the old settings... I did not double check...my mistake!

Now I repeated the installation with indeed your recommended memory settings... unfortunately it leads to the same outcome: it hangs after installation and restart.

Thomas
Attachments
Win10-2022.zip
(42 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I looked through the log. It shows working VM hardware and no problems that I see, no BSODs or heartbeat issues. This may actually not be a Virtualbox problem.

You may need to troubleshoot this inside the VM OS directly, same as if you were working on a real PC. Treat the VM as a real PC, and try getting some help from Microsoft about why the update makes the OS seize up. There could be Event Viewer logs or minidumps that a Microsoft forum expert could help with.