Mac Host, Win XP Guest no audio from headphones

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
saramos64

Mac Host, Win XP Guest no audio from headphones

Post by saramos64 »

I have a Mac Host 10.14.6, and I'm running Windows XP Guest. Everything is perfectly fine, audio works and all, just that when I plug in my headphones no audio comes from the VM. I play audio from my mac and I can hear it with headphones, but not from the VM. I even used a multi track output with soundflower and set headphone and soundflower 2ch to output, the VM did output for soundflower 2ch but there was no audio from headphones.

How can I get the VM to play audio to my headphones?
saramos64

Re: Mac Host, Win XP Guest no audio from headphones

Post by saramos64 »

Well this is a temporary solution that kinda fixes the problem, but it fixes it with a couple steps and not the direct way I was hoping for.
So because I have a multitrack created, I just use a recording software, in this case OBS, to just receive input from soundflower 2ch and monitor out to headphones, witch lets me hear the VM on my headphones.
This is a very roundabout way to solving this since it requires another app to fix the audio issue instead of fixing directly through VirtualBox.

I would still prefer to know if there was a way to fix this directly on VirtualBox without having to go through these hoops to resolve this fairly simple issue.

(Also I have discovered that soundflower is not needed at all, because the VM has a bypass output to the host device default. So as long as the recording software is set to receive audio input from device, it is recording it, and I can monitor it out to standard headphones. Even when the host Mac is set to only output all sound to headphones, VM bypasses that and outputs to the standard default)