Windows from an usb-stick

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
BartSr

Windows from an usb-stick

Post by BartSr »

I just installed VB in Linux Cinnamon, but I'm afraid I won't get any further unless someone here helps me out.
I want to install Windows 10 on it, but I don't have a DVD of it, but a USB stick with an iOS version and VB still doesn't offer a possibility for that. Or is it?
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: Windows from an usb-stick

Post by multiOS »

You can download a Windows 10 ISO file direct from the Microsoft Downloads site. A USB installer will only work if the EFI setting is enabled under the Storage section when you set up the Windows 10 VM template, but the installation process will take much longer via USB than using an ISO stored on the Host computer.
BartSr

Post by BartSr »

I don't quite understand what you are saying here. I already have Windows 10 on a stick, my problem is how to get this in VB
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

To clarify, you can't install an OS from host USB in VirtualBox. Put simply, it's because those USB drives belong to the host OS, they are not part of the VM.

You need to download the ISO version and boot the VM from that as MultiOS said. ISOs can be mounted in virtual CD/DVD drives which are part of the VM.

And btw, this topic is about a Windows guest and so definitely does not belong in "Linux Guests". Topic moved to "Windows Guests".
BartSr

Post by BartSr »

And btw, this topic is about a Windows guest and so definitely does not belong in "Linux Guests". Topic moved to "Windows Guests".
Daffy

Post by Daffy »

mpack wrote:To clarify, you can't install an OS from host USB in VirtualBox. Put simply, it's because those USB drives belong to the host OS, they are not part of the VM.

You need to download the ISO version and boot the VM from that as MultiOS said. ISOs can be mounted in virtual CD/DVD drives which are part of the VM.
This is something I can't figure out. What do I download the ISO to, if not the machine with the host OS? And how do I put the ISO on a virtual CD/DVD drive if the VM does not yet have an operating system? Sorry if these questions seem dumb, but I could really use some step-by-step instructions here if you or anyone else has the patience.

Thanks!
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

You download the ISO file to your host OS. You then attach that ISO file to the optical drive of the vm from the Settings option of the vm.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how- ... virtualbox

When you start the vm it will boot from the ISO and install the OS.
Bill
Daffy

Post by Daffy »

Never mind: I found a YouTube video that explains it all really well. The system won't let me post a web address, so look for "Installing Windows 10 on Virtualbox 6.1.12 (FULL PROCESS, 2020)" from MikeTheTech.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Daffy, it is suggested to read the responses to your posts before posting again. BillG explained how to do what you wanted, and your "Never mind" response was disrespectful of Bill's volunteer efforts to help you.

Bugs
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Daffy wrote:Never mind: I found a YouTube video that explains it all really well..
Perhaps he needs the pictures.
Bill