Mouse bug in windows 10 guests

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
suamee

Mouse bug in windows 10 guests

Post by suamee »

The same question:
forums.virtualbox。org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=106300
forums.virtualbox。org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=102798

The same ticket:
virtualbox。org/ticket/14743
virtualbox。org/ticket/20386

The problem it presents is that when I start VirtualBox 6.1.36 r152435 (Qt5.11.3 GUI) with windows 10(guest) in debian gnome 10 core version:4.19-x86_64 (host) ,when working on windows 10 after some time the mouse pointer stops working in windows,I have to save the machine state restart virtualbox Win10 guest to get it working again.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Mouse bug in windows 10 guests

Post by fth0 »

suamee wrote:I have to save the machine state restart virtualbox Win10 guest to get it working again.
Did the workaround of killing the VirtualBox DnD process (as discussed in #14743) not work for you?
suamee

Post by suamee »

I have to save the machine state restart virtualbox Win10 guest to get it working again.
Did the workaround of killing the VirtualBox DnD process (as discussed in virtualbox。org/ticket/14743]#14743) not work for you?
Debian(host)no see VirtualBox DnD process
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Since you were referring to multiple tickets and threads, I thought you knew their contents, and so I was wondering if you tried the approach with the lightest workaround.

The VirtualBox DnD processes (VBoxClient --dragandrop) are running inside the guest OS. Most people with comparable mouse problems didn't have keyboard problems at the same time, so they could simply kill the processes. Of course, that requires the ancient art and wisdom of using a computer with a keyboard alone. ;)

Seriously, you might try one of the following commands (inside the guest OS):

Code: Select all

sudo pkill -fx "/usr/bin/VBoxClient --draganddrop"
sudo pkill -fx "/usr/bin/VBoxClient --draganddrop" && /usr/bin/VBoxClient --draganddrop
suamee

Post by suamee »

fth0 wrote:Since you were referring to multiple tickets and threads, I thought you knew their contents, and so I was wondering if you tried the approach with the lightest workaround.

The VirtualBox DnD processes (VBoxClient --dragandrop) are running inside the guest OS. Most people with comparable mouse problems didn't have keyboard problems at the same time, so they could simply kill the processes. Of course, that requires the ancient art and wisdom of using a computer with a keyboard alone. ;)

Seriously, you might try one of the following commands (inside the guest OS):

Code: Select all

sudo pkill -fx "/usr/bin/VBoxClient --draganddrop"
sudo pkill -fx "/usr/bin/VBoxClient --draganddrop" && /usr/bin/VBoxClient --draganddrop
ticket:https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/20386#comment:4
SomervilleTom

Post by SomervilleTom »

I'm seeing this problem as well on VirtualBox Version 6.1.40 r154048 (Qt5.15.2).

The host is running the current Rocky Linux v8.6 (CentOS 8 ) on a robust physical system. The guest is running Windows 10 Pro.

This affects some but not all programs running on the guest. VisualStudio Code seems to be running fine. The vertical scrollbar in the Thunderbird client (v102.3.3, 32-bit build) can't be moved with the mouse.

I see issues with drag-and-drop (mouse down, mouse move, mouse up) and unrecognized mouse clicks. Some Chrome browser apps are affected.

Earlier this year, @suamee posted (posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=106684#pr521849) guidance that says "Seriously, you might try one of the following commands inside the guest OS)" with a code block that appears to be Linux shell commands.

I'm specifically referring to mouse issues in the Windows guestVM. So far as I know, mouse handling in the host is working fine.

I didn't notice this behavior prior to the most recent VirtualBox update. If there's an easy way to revert to the prior VirtualBox version, I'm ready for that -- I'm not sure how to do that, though. I'm a developer and comfortable with command-line operations on the host.