XP and 95 USB Serial port

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
sdecorme

XP and 95 USB Serial port

Post by sdecorme »

Hi,
On my windows 10 host I've installed a VM's one with WinXP and the other with Win95.
I need to run a software that use the serial port on each machine.
I've found the solution to transfer the driver via the CDROM and an ISO of the files.
How can pass the USB of my host to my guest to make it detecting the USB converter.
Thanks for your help.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: XP and 95 USB Serial port

Post by mpack »

Why do you need to transfer drivers? The VM settings include a virtual serial port which can be mapped to any host serial port. No messing with USB is required in the guest. See section 3.10 of the user manual.

And the two OS you have chosen are not at all comparable. XP is NT based, Win95 is a very early DOS based OS. Support for USB in the latter was always limited (after all, Win95 came out before USB even existed) - and you certainly won't get any drivers for that OS now.
sdecorme

Post by sdecorme »

Hi,
My first step is to make my software running on XP.
Thanks for the tips, the converter is now enabled in the peripheral/USB.
I've installed the driver of my converter I can open Hyperterminal but nothing is send from the guest.
Is there something to do ?
Thanks
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Please answer my questions.
sdecorme

Post by sdecorme »

I've tranfered the driver to install them in windows guest .
My software is working on XP 32 bits so i don't need to go lower in windows version.
On WinXP a driver is needed.
Actually Like I said the COM is detected on the guest, I can open the serial port but nothing goes out from my converter.
I don't know is there is a debug tips to see if the serial data are send from the Serial Guest to the serial host.
My converter is a USB/Serial from moxa with XP driver.
Thanks
sdecorme

Post by sdecorme »

It works now. :) :) :)
I've forgotten to activate the converter in the USB menu on the bottom of the guest windows.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Well done, though I still think you are making life difficult by messing with USB and drivers when the VM settings have a way to capture host serial ports very simply. I also doubt that the USB drivers method will work in Win95.
Daveyk021

Post by Daveyk021 »

mpack

Using a shared RS232 Port is ideal, the problem is, VM7.x does not allow communications across the serial port. It shows up in Windows 7 VM as COM1, but is a dead port.

I've reported this a few months ago, but nothing was fixed in the latest update concerning the serial ports.