XP guest reports VGA driver error

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
BQuirky

XP guest reports VGA driver error

Post by BQuirky »

Folks, I've created an XP VM that seems to be working mostly well, but when I boot I get an error that it found a new device and needs to install the driver. Trying to run some XP games gives me an error that there's a display problem so I guess this is an important issue. I installed the Guest Additions CD in the virtual drive, and the Hardware Update Wizard finds it, but then reports that it can't find VBoxGuest.sys on that disk. Any tips, please?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: XP guest reports VGA driver error

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
BQuirky

Post by BQuirky »

Thank you for responding! Here is the log file you requested.
Attachments
Windows XP-2022-07-20-00-21-19.log.zip
(29.62 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Why so stingy with the RAM? I recommend giving XP 1024MB RAM.

Also, increase graphics RAM to 128MB.

Next, install the Guest Additions. There is no graphics acceleration for XP in VirtualBox 6.1, but even so the GAs graphics drivers should still work better than the default VESA emulation. You really shouldn't be attempting display sizes like 1920x1080 when all you have is virtual VESA and 16MB graphics RAM.

Like I said, there's no graphics acceleration, so don't count on graphically based games ever running well on XP.

And I just noticed the hard disk size you created: no way a 10GB hard drive is going to be enough. I'm surprised XP even installed, as I remember that around 17GB was the minimum space required. I normally go with 32GB for most lightly used VMs.
BQuirky

Post by BQuirky »

I'm happy to increase RAM and disk. As I said, I already did the Guest Additions. I can increase graphics RAM dramatically, but will that fix the VGA driver/new device situation?? UPDATE: No, I just tried it and it didn't. I really appreciate you trying to help...if you have other suggestions I'd appreciate it. It's not clear why the Guest Additions didn't give me the driver I needed!?!
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

BQuirky wrote:As I said, I already did the Guest Additions.
Not according to the log you provided. Yes, the GAs CD was inserted, no they were not installed.
BQuirky

Post by BQuirky »

Well, that"s embarrassing!! Thanks for not rubbing it in.