Activation of Windows XP for Virtual Box

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
vboxpuser

Activation of Windows XP for Virtual Box

Post by vboxpuser »

I recently installed a Windows XP system on my Win 10 Pro, using VirtualBox, but I can't activate it.

1. I tried the activation by phone, but I entered the required 54 digits for nothing: "Not possible by phone." said the voice, "Go on support.microsoft/cpk"
2. I tried this address for nothing again: "Microsoft doesn't offer support for Windows XP any more", said the site. Of course, I already knew that and I didn't ask for support, but it looks like activation is a part of the support.
3. (and 0 too, because I already tried that some time before). The whole Microsoft site. If you want to activate Win10, Win11 or any other Microsoft software and if you didn't succeed, it's really the place to go. But not for me.

So, I don't ask here how to activate WinXP, okay. But if someone knows how to use an old Windows OS in VirtualBox, they're welcome! :)

Yes, I can re-install it every fifteen days, but ... :roll:
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Activation of Windows XP for Virtual Box

Post by mpack »

Where did this XP installer disk come from? If the phone number is still active then the only reason I can think of for the refusal is that yours is not a retail copy of XP. Branded OEM copies of (say) Dell or HP installers were node locked to the BIOS on that PC, they could not be activated on anything else.

Another possibility is that you are using a illicitly distributed volume license key (VLK). If MS has it listed as a circulating VLK then activation will fail.

As I said in your other post (which I've now deleted since it was an off topic cross post), what you have here is a Microsoft support problem, not a VirtualBox problem - you would have precisely this same problem on any physical PC.