Update + Guest Additions 6.1.34=lost Logi M570 Mouse control in Windows 7 Guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Update + Guest Additions 6.1.34=lost Logi M570 Mouse control in Windows 7 Guest

Post by scottgus1 »

Oracle VM User wrote:"Where is "Guest Additions" .exe/installed item hiding?
Guest Additions is only installed in the VM, not on the host.

If you're trying to uninstall Guest Additions from the VM, they are uninstalled using Windows 7's usual uninstall methods. Web-search for how. Once the Guest Additions are uninstalled and the VM rebooted, the Guest Additions icon won't appear in the Windows 7 system tray next to the clock.
Oracle VM User wrote:unable to use that phrase "Archive.org" to locate anything in the User Manual or "USB Basics tutorial"
Did you try ctrl-F Find in USB Basics? I found it right off. See post 6 in USB Basics about Windows 7 USB 3 drivers.
Oracle VM User

Re: Update + Guest Additions 6.1.34=lost Logi M570 Mouse control in Windows 7 Guest

Post by Oracle VM User »

Two words: Failed again!

= = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Hi everyone!

I'm back....

Here is my attempts and modifications to scottgus1's initial listing of how to fix and "downgrade" back to 6.1.32 by complete removal of the Virtualbox and all of its elements...

I don't think I can follow instructions.................

(see earlier posting for the original appearance of these instructions without "numbers")

1A. While Oracle Virtualbox is shown on Desktop--closed, and not active.
1B. Click on Icon and right click to get "show in folder"
1C. Find the file "Guest Additions.iso" and attempt to delete it using "administrator" shield option. Reboot so its "gone" from all registry values.
1D. Then follow instructions below:

1E. Uninstall Virtualbox and reboot.
2. Go to "C:\Windows\System32\drivers", look for any files called 'Vbox*.sys' (there could be up to 5) and delete them.
(This is why I found out you MUST delete "Guest Additions" early..while you still can discover its hidden location using "show file location" as in 1B + 1C above!)

3. Reboot again.
4. If you have any 3rd-party security or anti-malware software, disable the living daylights out of it for a moment.
5A. Reinstall Virtualbox using right-click-Run-As-Administrator.

5B. Don't forget to re-install the "extensions" from the "Index of /Virtualbox/6.1.32 listing.
There are two!
I choose the top one with 1492990 at end.. was that correct one? No explanation of differences unless one is for x64 and one is for x32 bit computers, but I have complications! I have x64 bit Host and was instructed NEVER try to run two x64's at same time, so my Windows 7 guest (and all others) have to be x32 bit.. maybe that is cause of problem? My choosing wrong extension?
but again, I plead ignorance as the two files are presented without any explanation or reason to choose one over the other ---I took longer named one---you know I like longer wordy things ;)

5C. Re boot to make sure THIS time "Guest Additions.iso" does not magically reappear.

5D. Found out upon launching Virtualbox Windows 7 guest... that exactly same situation with using "Guest Additions.iso" .....larger screen size, static in audio when opening up and later on too, and zero trackball/mouse ability.
But.............I did it! There is no re-appearance of "Guest Additions.iso as happened twice before when I followed those instructions without the "first" deletion under 1C.

Result? Same problem--even though I totally destroyed any copy of "Guest Additions.iso" on computer.....I'm certain I'm missing something valuable...

Like... having a older "backup " of the working VM by itself?
(You may have to restore the VM to your backed-up copy too, for this test.)

Oracle VM User
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Oracle VM User wrote:1C. Find the file "Guest Additions.iso" and attempt to delete it using "administrator" shield option. Reboot so its "gone" from all registry values.
5C. Re boot to make sure THIS time "Guest Additions.iso" does not magically reappear.
You should not be trying to delete the Guest Additions ISO on the host. An ISO is only a CD image. It does nothing unless it is mounted in a virtual CD drive and then the installer program on it is run.

Guest Additions should only be installed on the VM, the guest, not on the host. Otherwise it would be called Host Additions.

You need not worry about the ISO on the host. Each new install of Virtualbox is bundled with the Guest Additions ISO that matches the Virtualbox version, and will replace the ISO back in the Virtualbox installation folder.

You should be worrying about uninstalling the Guest Additions from inside the VM OS, see my post above.
Oracle VM User wrote:re-install the "extensions" from the "Index of /Virtualbox/6.1.32 listing.
There are two!
They're both the same file, under two different naming styles; I don't know why.
Oracle VM User wrote:I have x64 bit Host and was instructed NEVER try to run two x64's at same time, so my Windows 7 guest (and all others) have to be x32 bit
This is only because your host PC is light on resources. A sufficiently-strong 64-bit host can run a 64-bit VM, even any number of 64-bit VMs. The extension pack is not bitted to 32 or 64, it goes on either host type and supports all VM OS's regardless of bitterness.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OVU, we need to drop back and punt. There has been so much thrashing around, and so many books written about the thrashing, that I personally hardly know which way is up. Please consider one of the following different paths:
  • Consider running this special software directly on the physical computer instead of in a VM. Your audio will likely perform seamlessly on bare metal.

-or-
  • Get 6.1.32 installed in the host. Start a brand-new VM. Give the VM 2 processors, 2048MB RAM, and 128MB video RAM. Change no other hardware settings. Reboot the host freshly before starting the VM, so enough free RAM is available to fully provision the VM RAM. Install 7 and the audio software in the new VM, nothing else, then pass the devices desired into the VM. If the audio and mouse work smoothly, activate Windows 7.
Oracle VM User

Post by Oracle VM User »

Hi scottgus1!

Oh My! (you're not going to like the length of this post, suffice it to say in shortest terms possible .. "been there done that"

BUT you are so knowledgeable and maybe someone out there has similar problems

And someone else might have been as "computer crash test dummy" stupid as me...

I will quote and respond to your suggestions....

I will write a "short" and "long reply" to each one so you can just read "red color" = my shortest reply ok?

That way these red words (I can pick another color if you prefer easy on the eyes) should be the longest you HAVE to read and ignoring my personal details!

i.e. you can safely ignore all the black words (links are up to you and quotes? They only have one color here)......

Late, Edited in, maybe this is only line you have to read?

According to the discussion below, I very easily "discovered" where a folder was inside my Windows 7:

Oracle Virtualbox Guest Additions

Right or left clicking on it---got me .....................uninstall!

Should I go ahead and just "do" that? What do I do next after it?

Do I do that "uninstall" process each time Windows 7 VM launches,
if you say having VIrtualbox "comes with its own Guest Additions each version on Windows 10 Host???

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Here I go!
You should not be trying to delete the Guest Additions ISO on the host. An ISO is only a CD image. It does nothing unless it is mounted in a virtual CD drive and then the installer program on it is run.
My oh MY! I am really behind reading the User Manual! I did not understand completely how it worked until...................just this moment! Now I know what was happening to me, makes sense.
Guest Additions should only be installed on the VM, the guest, not on the host. Otherwise it would be called Host Additions.
Makes perfect sense of course given first quoted information I just learned!
You need not worry about the ISO on the host. Each new install of Virtualbox is bundled with the Guest Additions ISO that matches the Virtualbox version, and will replace the ISO back in the Virtualbox installation folder.
So, explain "why" I was directed to "specifically install Guest Additions" earlier in this long multi-topic series if it always came bundled with even 6.1.32 as I don't think I EVER had it before! IT was not there!

You should be worrying about uninstalling the Guest Additions from inside the VM OS, see my post above.
Great, where are "they" hiding and how do I locate them since there is no "Virtualbox" icon....and I did not post how many ineffective attempts I did using "Search function of File Explorer" to not locate "Guest Additions.iso" in Windows 10, how do I find it in Windows 7????
Oracle VM User wrote:
I have x64 bit Host and was instructed NEVER try to run two x64's at same time, so my Windows 7 guest (and all others) have to be x32 bit
This is only because your host PC is light on resources. A sufficiently-strong 64-bit host can run a 64-bit VM, even any number of 64-bit VMs. The extension pack is not bitted to 32 or 64, it goes on either host type and supports all VM OS's regardless of bitterness.
SONY VAIO i5 Intel chip, 8GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, all upgraded everything I could from where it was back in 2018 so it should be running lean and mean... Laptop Model is VPCS 111FM

Geek Squad technician in Best Buy (a computer store here in US) taught me how to use Virtualbox--in 2010 in alternative to my original "Partition Commander/Partition OS" Software that created separate operating systems on 25 (not misprint) REAL partitions in my HDD at the time of older, Pentium D Dell computer I wrote earlier about.....

[TL DR: Partition 26 was always "Z"... for all the audio devices to "plug in" and become an active partition to download audio into the computer... only way to get it in!]

So that is how I got "into" Oracle Virtualbox, and Geek Squad technician is the one, not me that did all the heavy lifting of fixing what I broke over the years until 2020 when I wrote to you for first time as no longer can go there and he left the store.....
OVU, we need to drop back and punt. There has been so much thrashing around, and so many books written about the thrashing, that I personally hardly know which way is up. Please consider one of the following different paths:
Thank you!
Advice coming from someone who has demonstrated time and time again they know this inside and out is certainly welcomed!
Consider running this special software directly on the physical computer instead of in a VM. Your audio will likely perform seamlessly on bare metal.
I WOULD LOVE TO!

Unfortunately, when Windows 7 went off to become Windows 10, SONY corporation, in their saving money did NOT provide teams of experts to "fix" the SONY Digital Voice Editor ver 3.3 to run on the new Windows 10 OS. "Compatibility setting on Windows 10 says something....
you know the phrase...
"Sorry, compatibility mode failed, please contact the manufacturer of the software for an update"
Right.. sure.... I'd love to pay for them or someone to make it function on Windows 7, It is only "daily" program I use there now.. I found substitutes slowly over the years for other ones...

YES, there is a replacement!

SONY Sound Organizer! All up to date, works perfectly on Windows 10

One problem.... it ONLY uses .mp3 files generated by a 100% .mp3 device....

My SONY devices $400 +- each are all .msv files, SONY property, SONY made, SONY compatible with all other SONY Audio and Video equipment I have ......but NOT .mp3 audio files that are NOW the standard...

So 100% of all devices created that I own... also have additional problem!

None of them can connect to Windows 10 USB by any method known ! No one is upgrading them to use any drivers or any method to upload newer files to the SONY Sound Organizer. So I get "searching for drivers" and "searching web for drivers" all ending with "contact the manufacturer for drivers"!

And of course

Opposite is true, Windows 10 refuses to let my Sony Digital Voice Editor operate in the Windows 10--"bare metal" as you referred to it, at all....

The code execution cannot proceed because IcdCddaDve.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem
I just tested this again, one click ... three similar error messages until cleared by me.. Of course I've tried re-installing the program after uninstalling it, it won't work as those files Windows 10 calls for never existed for this program.....

Going "off" to running software on Windows 10 means that 100% of everything I did since 2000! is just about "destroyed".. even though I have copies and copies of copies!

They say.. "Sorry" you cannot run .msv on Windows 10.

So the devices I have are useless on the Windows 10 Host, and sorry, I did buy a few smaller ones that do .mp3, but then I have to buy hundreds of dollars of NEW HDD's as the .mp3 files are enormous
compared to tiny .mvc files

This article explains a lot

https://videoconvert.minitool.com/video ... -file.html
What Is an MSV File?
Developed by Sony, MSV is a memory stick voice file. It is a compressed audio file format used in recording messages on Sony’s Memory Stick IC recorders like the ICD-MS1 and ICD-MS515. This file is similar to the Sony Digital Voice file (the DVF file).

MSV is Sony’s exclusive audio file format and it’s not as common as the popular audio file formats like MP3. Many devices and media players do not support MSV files and can’t open them, either. If you have some MSV files, you’ll find it hard to find a program to open these files. How to open MSV files? This post offers 3 methods.

Found something "new" in this article that I might try... but really needs me to use Virtualbox and download and install something like "Windows98SE" or "Vista" (with all its crashes and bugs) something that I already have enough trouble using Windows 7 on, who wants to answer all my questions about installing here even older systems?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
[REALLY off topic but proof, [tried the download --today! 5 July 2022] and provides quick answer as to your suggestion of using my Host Windows 10!

ALL in photos!

scottgus1 suggested ! Yes!
Consider running this special software directly on the physical computer instead of in a VM. Your audio will likely perform seamlessly on bare metal.
Read me file---I usually don't even share this with most people I tell the story to....but maybe its helpful in getting a "new" Virtualbox set up that will work?
[Remember my "XP" version in Virtualbox is failing [Fatal error--boot media not found---] I don't know what I did and can't bring the computer back to my "Geek Squad Agent" who knows exactly how to do this, most "don't" have any idea when I ask them to help me!
Your computer and system software must meet the following minimum
requirements.

Operating Systems:
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 1 or higher
Windows Vista Business Service Pack 1 or higher
Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1 or higher
Windows Vista Home Basic Service Pack 1 or higher
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 Service Pack 3 or higher
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004 Service Pack 3 or higher
Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 3 or higher
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 or higher
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 or higher
Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4 or higher
Pre-Installed
* Windows XP 64bit Edition is not supported.

Hardware Environment:
- Computer: IBM PC/AT or compatible
- CPU: 266MHz Pentium II processor or higher
(For Windows Vista, 800MHz Pentium III processor or higher)
- RAM: 128MB or more
(For Windows Vista, 512MB or more)
- Hard disk space: 7MB or more depending on the size and number of
sound files you store.
- Sound board: Sound cards compatible with any of the supported
Microsoft Windows operating systems
- Display: High color (16bit) or more and 800x480 dots or more
- Windows Media Player: Ver. 6.4 or higher

* The following systems are not supported:
OS other than the ones indicated above
Personally constructed PCs or operating systems
Upgraded OS
Multi-boot environment
Multi-monitor environment
From prior posts: you know I have all of the above "not supported" in Windows 10 Host, and "barely" supported in Windows 7 running this program in compatibility mode which DOES ALWAYS work ---and you know it WORKS even in Update 6.1.34!!!!! I just don't have a mouse and have audio static making it harder to hear already low quality sounds I deal with every day for my notes.

= = = = = = == = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

SOUNDS great on paper/monitor screen..
Get 6.1.32 installed in the host. Start a brand-new VM. Give the VM 2 processors, 2048MB RAM, and 128MB video RAM. Change no other hardware settings. Reboot the host freshly before starting the VM, so enough free RAM is available to fully provision the VM RAM. Install 7 and the audio software in the new VM, nothing else, then pass the devices desired into the VM. If the audio and mouse work smoothly, activate Windows 7.

How to explain this without seeming like a fool?

I would love to do that! I think I can set up a new VM following that.. but one problem:

Install 7 (two horrible words for me!)

Back in 1990's or 2000's I didn't have funds for "anything" good on computers, so what I did "yeah shoot me in the foot now, don't let me finish this sentence"

is that to save money I 100% never purchased a "complete windows program" from Microsoft with their all important Product number key.....

You always can "get away with murder " by purchasing their "upgrade" version!

That is how I did everything .. Windows 10 is my single, and ONLY full Windows program.

So.... How did you ever load in the Windows 7 OS? to the Virtualbox?

EASY!!!

I used my FLOPPIES 5-10 of tiny 3.5's

with Windows 3.0 to create a Virtualbox .iso disk.... with Windows 3.0 in it

THEN --while running that Windows 3.0, I upgraded..... Windows 3.0 to 3.1

(NO NO NOT THAT difficult, the guy in the store took all my upgrades and created a single good ".iso" disk that I used at the store as he could not "give" me the disk to own as that is illegal!!! as Windows 7 is licensed by copy but my personal license number is an upgrade from Windows 3.0 or whatever...)

And so on through Windows 95, Windows 98 Windows 98SE, (WIndows Vista is sooo bad it has a workaround I never had it) Windows 2000, and then jumps up to Windows 7 and then Windows 7 professional when I actually purchased a professional x64 computer to run all my "math co processing" programs I really needed to use and larger word processing programs, graphics programs.... so
I know you know these things, but I purchased that laptop with over-purchasing it, to have also media high end capabilities, it can also HDMI (new idea that time) to any monitor the screen image or as a second monitor at same time showing different images to the public where I carried it around a lot before they invented the iPad/tablets that do that easily...

So I HAD the level of Windows 7 Professional x64 running inside this computer and because of Virtualbox, I was told when I upgraded to Windows 10 and created the Virtualbox for Windows 7 that I could not run two x64s at same time, no matter what I shut down or did, as the computer itself can't handle it, no computer can do two x64s...

I'm happy to hear from you its possible!
Next computer I'm knowledgeable and I'll make certain it can handle TWO x64 OS at same time!!!

But that is for a different day, for getting Windows 11 ,when all of my valuable programs in Windows 10 might not work in compatibility mode....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And ...thanks for explaining this too:
Oracle VM User wrote:
re-install the "extensions" from the "Index of /Virtualbox/6.1.32 listing.
There are two!
They're both the same file, under two different naming styles; I don't know why.
================================

I'll end with a question:

If from the above my best chance is to create a "new" Virtual Machine version of Windows 7, why can't I just use the Windows 7 I already have loaded into Virtualbox? What is keeping me from using JUST that one?

I have very little programs on it just AV Malwarebytes to protect what Internet use I needed for "loading" media and "updates" etc... Zero word processors (they were all on the "Mac" programs, much better .. Graphics all on the Mac programs I was using, so I left Windows 7 just a few things that would not work on Windows 10, so I don't want to erase everything there... its hard to find original installation disks which may need to contact someone over the web and there is no one there!

======
Oracle VM User
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, so I had a good rest last night and woke up a glutton for punishment, so I decided to parse through your next book. :lol:
Oracle VM User wrote:If from the above my best chance is to create a "new" Virtual Machine version of Windows 7, why can't I just use the Windows 7 I already have loaded into Virtualbox?
We have no idea what kind of damage has been done to the VM you have now:
scottgus1 wrote:There has been so much thrashing around, and so many books written about the thrashing, that I personally hardly know which way is up.
And since you don't have a clean backup copy, a fresh install could demonstrate that at least it can be made to work again.

Oracle VM User wrote:Guest Additions ... got me .....................uninstall!
Should I go ahead and just "do" that?
Is the intent of uninstalling Guest Additions to uninstall them? Then running Uninstall might just do that... But the best way is to use Windows 7's normal uninstall method:
scottgus1 wrote:If you're trying to uninstall Guest Additions from the VM, they are uninstalled using Windows 7's usual uninstall methods. Web-search for how.
This means to google how to uninstall a program, not thrash around more.
Oracle VM User wrote:Do I do that "uninstall" process each time Windows 7 VM launches,
If you uninstalled your Sony app from the OS, could you run it the next time the OS boots? No, it's uninstalled. So...

Oracle VM User wrote:if you say having VIrtualbox "comes with its own Guest Additions each version on Windows 10 Host???
The 'Guest Additions' that comes with Virtualbox is the ISO, which does nothing unless you load it into the VM and run the installer program on it.
scottgus1 wrote:You should not be trying to delete the Guest Additions ISO on the host. An ISO is only a CD image. It does nothing unless it is mounted in a virtual CD drive and then the installer program on it is run.
You need not worry about the ISO on the host.
Oracle VM User wrote:Install 7 (two horrible words for me!)
I suspect that you're going to have to find a local friend to replace the Best Buy guy to help you out with this. I web-searched how to convert .msv to .mp3, and there are apparently some available resources that don't require a virtual machine.
Oracle VM User

Post by Oracle VM User »

Hi scottgus1 and everyone!

scottgus1, do you want a distraction from all the excitement over there? Hope I can provide a brief and pleasant diversion for your thoughts here..

I'll be brief, (but I had additional Item I might add in or not--depends on how much I write about the main topic!)

I was away a looooonnnnnggg time.... want to know what I attempted and failed?

Simple phrase...

Remember my "first" new, recent posting for help here?

Update 6.1.34 crashing Windows 10 Host upon attempted start of Windows 7 Client
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=106171

Its back!

6.1.32 with 6.1.32 Extension CRASHES upon start up---every time with "Blue screen + : ( Unhappy MSFT face .....

I even followed your initial suggestion from the above prior posting to:
Virtualbox doesn't alter the Extension Pack that's installed. But the EP version should always match the installed Virtualbox version. You have to remember to tweak this as needed. Check what's installed in the main Virtualbox window, File menu, Preferences, Extensions tab.
It matches up now to 6.1.32 correctly for both Virtualbox & Extensions.

[Still crashes even if I correctly changed the values to what you said here:
Get 6.1.32 installed in the host. Start a brand-new VM. [not trying this yet! as I'm crashing again] Give the VM 2 processors, 2048MB RAM, and 128MB video RAM. Change no other hardware settings. Reboot the host freshly before starting the VM, so enough free RAM is available to fully provision the VM RAM. Install 7 and the audio software in the new VM, nothing else, then pass the devices desired into the VM. If the audio and mouse work smoothly, activate Windows 7.
I've attached two new, current, logs so you can read them since you know what you are looking for....

One final "visual" clue............

I CAN BRIEFLY USE BOTH!!! Windows 10 cursor, PLUS inside the new Windows 7 created screen cursor at same time, before the "starting virtual machine" (not yet up to windows) crashes it all down.

But I changed them back to last good numbers that were working to at least launch the Windows 7 Guest!

[More details?

Do you want them? Let me know]

I did and re-did the process of getting in a clean version of 6.1.32 [Yes I know OLD post was about new version of 6.1.34, so don't be confused! I know I need my older version , last version that worked correctly 6.1.32, using your index etc links I now know where everything is hiding out!)
I tried installing and uninstalling all these over and over again making certain everything was correctly followed in the Postings about "fixing" the crashing.....

Still does not start...

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I deleted something here, removing my other thoughts, to save them possibly for posting for later, as depending upon your advice I might have need to share them, otherwise why have you read two or three paragraphs and look at puzzling [hard for even me to describe accurately] last screenshot images from my Windows 7 Guest?

Ending a brief reply!!!

Good luck everyone over there! The government is still strong, so you'll all survive, the bump in the road....

Oracle VM User (Made so many errors: rank reduced to private, last class, I don't deserve a signature line here!)
Attachments
Windows7 32bit VM-2022-07-06-15-36-53 yesterdays log zip.zip
(18.75 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Windows7 32bit VM-2022-07-06-15-36-35 yesterdays hardened log zip.zip
(22.24 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Oracle VM User

Post by Oracle VM User »

Hi scottgus1 and everyone else reading my long posts:

Keeping it short....... {Edit: My goodness! Please stay hydrated and cool over there.. 100 °F in London..... don't over cook the essential flying famous Ravens!}

[Details below about latest update to Windows 10 and failure still on Virtualbox]

Don't worry! You've taught your student well scottgus1!

I fixed it all by myself!

[Rescued it from the "rubbish" bin described below]....

But.. we're back where we began...

Trackball and regular wired mouse, as well as wired Keyboard TOO does not work in Windows 10 Host NOR in Windows 7 Guest just using "one" program, no overloading of resources, just Microsoft's NotePad it does not TYPE on that native to Microsoft Windows OS's program at all!

Until I shut down Oracle Virtualbox...

Then instantly (without plugging/ unplugging any USB or doing any "CTL Right" etc buttons) .

Mouse

+

Keyboard all work right away perfectly in any Windows 10 program(s) I call forth.

I'm just very perplexed...

My long details

if they even matter anymore

are below..... (along with my dumping the whole thing just because I can't use my older stuff anymore).....

Thanks for reading over 50 words here...... yeah I know.. 145 words is a lot to read to this point.....

Oracle VM User

(Who is not able to "use" it anymore).......

[Interesting Data .........
I thought, why not turn on the Task Manager CPU reader

BEFORE I turn on Virtualbox, Windows 10 is using 9% to 15% of CPU...

All processes that I know "names" of are turned off but still 79 are working...but have CRAZY names I'd be worried about cancelling them and having huge registery problems for next 2 years!

Memory usage is high, just sitting there up to 38% or down to almost zero... it bounces around...

Windows Explorer/System Resource usage/monitor is using "MOST" of that I think... but no way to "see" how much I'm using without checking inside that monitor, correct? Uses 75 MB of Memory when working...... CPU = 1% to 8/9% bouncing around
I even took risk of turning off the larger of the two AV programs to see if it made a difference= no difference! CPU & Memory usage remain the same.....

THEN I turn on Virtualbox, and when I go into Windows 7 IT CRASHES as if Task Manager is taking up too much memory??? I can't see task manager readings when it crashes of course

end of interesting data]

[Details of my crashes after updating my Windows 10]

SHORT SHORT SHORT VERSION of story:

1. Install Windows 10 Update [details below] just like 30 million others this month did so

2. Restart/Shut Down/Start Up as many times to make certain ALL Windows 10 programs are 100% OK.

3. Attempt to "Start" Virtualbox Windows 7 Guest.

4. Crashed entire Host.

5. Followed the game plan from earlier postings----erased everything to do with Virtualbox 6.1.32 & its Extensions and turned off all AntiVirus programs

6. Put everything back in step by slow step.

7. FAILED AGAIN.

8. TOOK Everything out again.

9. Waited a few hours...

10. Slowly put everything back in again!

11. Still crashing......

12. Pick up laptop....walk over to "rubbish" container.

13. Open lid.

14. Drop Windows 10 laptop and all programs I paid for and many weeks/years loading in slowly I got free into "rubbish" container (yes the UK word for this we have different word in USA).

15. Close lid.

16. Wait until income improves so I can afford Windows 25 or 26 on a new laptop or Desktop.

17. Am I missing any steps? (sorry describing this humorous sequence did take longer than 50 words).

....................seriously........

Question: How about if I go wayyyyyyy back to Oracle Virtualbox ver. 5 or ver 4?

I know why not! ....... because they are definitely NOT going to function inside a modern Windows 10 Host with all of its dozens and dozens of latest updates...as they were never designed to do so, which is why I only do small risk to go back "one" step to Oracle Virtualbox ver. 6.1.32

[More Details---as if you want MORE words to read]

Windows Update 7-17-22

2022-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 21Hs for
x64 - based Systems (KB5015807)

I PUT IT IN TODAY after waiting to see if anyone reported anything seriously wrong with update first!

I did try these things before the Windows 10 update crashed everything...............

They did not work either...

I'm certain its JUST my one and only computer....with Windows 10 that is doing this...

as I already tried:

Attempts up through July 12th......

12 July 2022

FIRST CLEAN re-install AFTER USING COMPUTER FOR A DAY OR SO FOR GENERAL OPERATIONS WITHOUT ANY ORACLE IN IT

VirtualBox-6.1.32-149290-Win (9)

New download (ninth try! this month it is saying to me)

OPEN via "Run as Administrator"!

TOOK the "second" choice from the index

even though scottgus1 reported they are BOTH the same file

Look, when you have tried everything else.. I always say: "Look in the refrigerator" for the answer.. "Why?"

Because I've tried everything else!!!

ALL VIRUS checkers are disabled 100%

All programs on Windows 10--- other than the ONE windows Microsoft Edge window/browser with my stored tabs for all these Oracle Forum questions and index of "Get Virtualbox" items are closed and computer CPU is very very low usage....

Computer has nothing else (other than ---alphabet soup ) under "services" running that I'd be afraid to cancel for fear I'd remove a major operational .exe program from Windows/System32 etc...

Made certain..... Oracle extension 6.1.32 was installed using the Virtualbox program...

Now comes the test.. reboot....

and try to use Virtualbox...

AND when I first activate it try "run as Administrator!"

YES it is working again!!! WITHOUT CRASHING!

But....

(why do I always say... "but"?)

No mouse control no matter what Right Ctl etc I click or what USB slot I use or what Mouse I use

No wired Keyboard usage at all

[I even used older keyboard--not even light for Caps Lock will come on-------------

but it goes "beep beep" on the Windows 10 host when I pull in/out USBs]

I EVEN tried launching Windows 7 without ANYTHING (keyboard or mouse) hooked up and then try adding them into various ports... each time the Windows 10 (I assume) Beeps acceptance of new device keyboard and or mouse, but Windows 7 Guest DOES NOT USE THEM even though it reports it is "working properly" so there is no "troubleshooting" button I can hit anywhere as there is no "trouble" to shoot! LOL yes I can still laugh at my own stupidity!)

No can do even simple item as type or mouse movement on "NotePad" on Windows 10 Host while Windows 7 Guest is running.

Trying to open up a old file in Windows Explorer on "NotePad" should be like simplest thing to do... with zero other resources being used

Says "Path invalid" So I can't even get to my old files to use while I'm using Windows 7...

I even tried turning off the Virus items again to run it without it if that was possible

NO! Not the solution!

I'M DOING THIS METHOD described in the link below TO TRY TO GET AROUND LACK OF A MOUSE!

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/us ... ouse-dies/

So NOW the Keyboard is no longer "working" when I go into Windows 7...

No matter if I hit the keys that turn on or off mouse shortcuts on the laptop keyboard...

Nothing is bringing back the keyboard under Windows 7 Guest.....

It and the mouse all say they are "working properly" SO if working properly why are they NOT working???

Oracle VM User.....................................................................................................................