How do I connect my USB Stick to XP?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
WaterPhesh

How do I connect my USB Stick to XP?

Post by WaterPhesh »

I have followed a few guides, but they all lead me to the same issue. I have the Extension Pack installed, but when I go to the USB tab on my Virtual Machine, I can't change what type of USB i'm using (1.0, 2.0, etc.)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: How do I connect my USB Stick to XP?

Post by mpack »

WaterPhesh wrote:I have the Extension Pack installed, but when I go to the USB tab on my Virtual Machine, I can't change what type of USB i'm using (1.0, 2.0, etc.)
Then you probably don't have the Extension Pack installed. The EP is a host plugin pack, not to be confused with the Guest Additions. Another possibility is that the VM is still running (you can't change the virtual PC design while the PC is running).

You should also bear in mind that XP has no native support for USB3, and that is what you'll have if you plug a USB3 stick into a USB3 host drive.

It is often far simpler to share that or any other host drive as a shared folder.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: How do I connect my USB Stick to XP?

Post by scottgus1 »

WaterPhesh wrote:when I go to the USB tab on my Virtual Machine, I can't change what type of USB i'm using (1.0, 2.0, etc.)
one other possibility causing this could be the VM being save-stated instead of fully powered off (look under the VM's name in the list). Saved state is like hibernation, and hardware can't be changed while the VM's OS is not fully shut down.

If you really need the USB stick in the VM and Mpack's idea of the shared folder doesn't cover the needs, carefully go through USB basics and troubleshooting. If you finish all the steps 1-7 and cannot get your USB device into the guest OS, carefully post the outputs of the commands in step 8 as text, not screenshots. Zip and post the logs step 8 call for, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.