Windows Server stuck in boot loop

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Raffy

Windows Server stuck in boot loop

Post by Raffy »

Once upon a time I use to be able to run VM's with no issue, then one day it just would no longer load. I decided to upgrade the ISO from server 19 to 22 and now it is just stuck in a boot loop.

Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700 @ 2.50GHz 2.50 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.6 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Attachments
server.png
server.png (25.45 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
boot  loop
boot loop
bootloop.png (7.73 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows Server stuck in boot loop

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.

Note however that Win2022 is not a supported guest, so that would not have been my first choice if my goal was to improve stability. Your wording makes it seem like you installed Win2k22 on top of the existing Win2k19. Is that what you did or are you talking about two different VMs? It would have been better to come here before you made major changes to the VM - hopefully you at least backed up the VM folder first.
Raffy

Post by Raffy »

Here is the log file. It was two different VM's. They're just sandbox environments I want to use so its nothing I couldn't afford to lose.
Attachments
logs.zip
(28.93 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You are supposed to tune the VM "recipe" to the needs of the guest OS, the first step is choosing an appropriate template. Try again, and this time use a recent Windows Server template (e.g. Windows 2019).

I would also choose 2048MB RAM, 2 CPU cores, and 128MB graphics RAM.