Win10 Guest on Win11 Host totally not working

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
HMul

Win10 Guest on Win11 Host totally not working

Post by HMul »

Running VirtualBox 6.1.23r1506 and recently upgraded my PC to Win11. Problem: My Win10 guest OS'es on VirtualBox do not work. They are extremely slow and very high on CPU if they boot at all. Even new installations do not work.

I know win11 is offically not yet supported but people cannot just stay on win10 because of only VirtualBox, right? So I really need a solutions for this or a timeline for Win11 support. Im already on the lastest VirtualBox. So probably there is not much that can be done about it right now?
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Win10 Guest on Win11 Host totally not working

Post by BillG »

Windows 10 as a vm on a Windows 11 host runs well. I would suspect that the upgrade has enabled something which has loaded the Windows hypervisor.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=99390

6.1.23 is not the latest build. 6.1.34 has been out for quite a while, and the current test build (test builds end on odd numbers, like yours) is 6.1.35 . It might work for you if you want to try it.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
Win10onWin11.png
Win10onWin11.png (99.15 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
Bill
HMul

Post by HMul »

I have Hyper-V active indeed. I'm very much in doubt about turning it off because it also means to turn off DeviceGuard and CredentialsGuard. It seems to me that I have to compromise security to run a program that has not been updated to work with latest technology (no offence!). Please comment on this!

After some reading, to me it seems Hyper-V is intended for virtualisation. There is this program called Hyper-V Manager in which VM's can be created and a feature called Windows Hyper Visor platform should enable virtualisation software to run.... So why isn't VirtualBox working with Hyper-V? All my Linux based VM's also work fine in VB with Hyper-V active....
Khun_Doug

Post by Khun_Doug »

I too tried Windows 10 and Windows 11 guests with VirtualBox, having Windows 11 as the host. The guest machines "appear" to work, but there are problems. I found that running a clock with a second hand, I could actually see the clock slowing down slightly. I also opened FireFox and was playing SiriusXM, all sound coming through the host speakers. Every time, eventually, the guest PC would slow down and the sound would get distorted. I could actually notice the pitch of the music change as the guest was trying to speed up to make up for time it lost. Things never get completely sorted and the guest PC is never back to where it should be. And it's worth mentioning the host PC has oodles of capacity. I'm using a Ryzen 5950X with 64GB RAM. There is plenty of CPU to handle this.

I was going to submit a bug form, until I realized Windows 11 is not supported as a host. I don't have Hyper-V enabled. And every trick to make sure Hyper-V is disabled proved futile - it really is not enabled, not that I can see. So VB will install and run on Windows 11 host. But there are bugs and some issues have no fix. The next version of VB is supposed to address this, from what I read.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

HMul wrote:It seems to me that I have to compromise security to run a program that has not been updated to work with latest technology (no offence!). Please comment on this!
Those new technologies are a bit heavy-handed with resources that used to be more freely usable. The devs are working on running Virtualbox with active host Hyper-V, but it's not all there yet. Apparently, things were going pretty well around 6.1.26, then Windows 11 came out, and the devs have been fixing bugs since then. They'll get it done, though. Test build 6.1.35 is reported to work better with Hyper-V, you might try that. Save the test build installer until you update again later. You'll need it if your host's MSI installation database goes south (they do) and the installer will not be available for download after the next even-number version gets released.
Khun_Doug wrote:Windows 11 is not supported as a host.
Not technically, but it is usable. 7.0 will support it. The development snapshots 6.1.97 on the test builds are what 7.0 will be.
Khun_Doug

Post by Khun_Doug »

Thanks for the news regarding build 6.1.97 @ScottGus1. Would you please post a link so I can grab a copy. I'd love to put it in the Ryzen machine and test it. But all the searches I do for 6.1.97 return links for 2020 and 2021, and those are obviously old. I do see a new build on the Test Builds page, and the latest is 6.1.x Rev 151866.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

@HMul

To add a little to Scottgus1's response, I suggest you also read Microsoft's own Guidance on disabling the Credential and Security Guard features when using third-party virtualisation software in which it is admitted that those products deliberately block VirtualBox; and other software, from accessing a PC's Hardware Virtualisation features by their own design. Interestingly they make no comment on the security impact of disabling those 'Guard' features in the guidance, so it's not for us mere users to comment.

See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/troubl ... th-hyper-v

@Khun_Doug

The link for 6.1.97 is the same as for the Test Build in BillH's initial response. It's under the heading 'Development Build' after the Test Build Section
HMul

Post by HMul »

Well, I was trying out the test build but it really killed it now. When starting my VM I get:

Failed to open/create the internal network 'HostInterfaceNetworking-Marvell FastLinQ Edge 10Gbit Network Adapter' (VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND).
Failed to attach the network LUN (VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND).
Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

I uninstalled and re-installed the normal released version but that didnt help.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

That error appears to be related to failure in tying Virtualbox's networking to the host PC's network system.

I know you did an uninstall and reinstall, but I'll ask you to try again, according to this procedure:

Uninstall Virtualbox and reboot.
Go to "C:\Windows\System32\drivers", look for any files called 'Vbox*.sys' (there could be up to 5) and delete them.
Reboot again.
If you have any 3rd-party security or anti-malware software, disable the living daylights out of it for a moment.
Reinstall Virtualbox using right-click-Run-As-Administrator.
HMul

Post by HMul »

scottgus1 wrote:That error appears to be related to failure in tying Virtualbox's networking to the host PC's network system.

I know you did an uninstall and reinstall, but I'll ask you to try again, according to this procedure:

Uninstall Virtualbox and reboot.
Go to "C:\Windows\System32\drivers", look for any files called 'Vbox*.sys' (there could be up to 5) and delete them.
Reboot again.
If you have any 3rd-party security or anti-malware software, disable the living daylights out of it for a moment.
Reinstall Virtualbox using right-click-Run-As-Administrator.
Yes, thats working again now.

Still struggling to disable hyper-v. I decided to give it a try, I can always re-enable it later. I also need the virtual win10 machines for testing. My win11 PC is brand new installation. Tried everything I could find about it (especially the linked articles above), but hyper-v remains active and win10 guests do not boot (or so slow that it looks like it is frozen).

Edit: tried again the 6.1.35-151866 test build and also the 6.1.92-150532 development snapshot. Both result in a similar error, requiring me to follow the scottgus1 method to get it working again. So I am back at 6.1.34-150636 and figuring out how to disable hyper-v.