Audio static on Windows 7 Guest using OS audio & USB Audio device

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Oracle VM User

Audio static on Windows 7 Guest using OS audio & USB Audio device

Post by Oracle VM User »

Hello everyone!

I had a problem solved by prior post thread here on 19 June 2022:

Re: Virtual Box still crashing "occasionally" no rhyme or reason---since fixed non-start due to new
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=106314

Thanking mpack for your suggestions! (I gave the link above in case anyone needs to research what values/settings I just fixed).

I now can begin my Windows 7 Guest session to use the Audio portion of the OS, including native speakers on the laptop & USB to audio speakers.

My audio devices using Windows 7, now have a significant (it varies during playback or recording as to severity) amount of static on my audio devices with the "new" settings.

I'm not taking any chances of doing anything wrong with Windows 7 until I hear my audio devices have clear sound quality again, as I have no possible way (old software, will not run on anything else) to confirm that the original audio is really clear and not full of static interference.

I am attaching below my most recent logs (hopefully I figured out how to turn off the VM before collecting the logs as that may have been done wrong earlier--I click on the Oracle VM Manager page left click on the name of the guest OS to obtain the logs).

One additional clue, maybe not important, but I mention it in that, I know, and can predict, when this static audio defect is going to happen as while the Guest Windows 7 machine starts up I can hear out of my speakers.... a buzzing or static on the "Windows 7" starting up as its playing the standard opening OS tones/notes.

That static is my indication that I know its NOT the audio devices, but this particular version of Windows 7 Guest as currently (newly) configured that is going to bring major difficulties in using the audio.

Thank you everyone who reads this!
Oracle VM User
Attachments
Windows7 32bit VM-2022-06-21-15-19-46 hardening log zipped.zip
Hardening version of log
(26.76 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Windows7 32bit VM-2022-06-21-15-19-42 zipped.zip
(30.85 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Audio static on Windows 7 Guest using OS audio & USB Audio device

Post by mpack »

Per the previous thread, I'm afraid you are still heavily over committing host RAM. You really need to start paying attention to this. Try launching your VM before other memory hungry apps on your host, or just shut those other apps down before you start the VM. You can monitor the VM log yourself to see how you are doing - the lines quoted below are very near the top. In the short term I suggest reducing the VM RAM allocation to 1024MB. Windows 7 (32bit) should be fine with that.
00:00:07.898699 Host RAM: 7862MB (7.6GB) total, 1470MB available
00:00:08.477306 RamSize <integer> = 0x0000000080000000 (2 147 483 648, 2 048 MB)
00:00:08.477756 VRamSize <integer> = 0x0000000008000000 (134 217 728, 128 MB)
While that will not be helping, I doubt that it is the cause of audio crackling... though it could be. The usual effect of low RAM is that the host starts to page, and the usual cause of digital audio crackle is a busy processor. So perhaps one leads to the other. But, it would be also be good to test a different audio device, ideally not a USB based one.

In a similar vein, install the Guest Additions as a matter of urgency. These will make graphics in particular run more efficiently, which will relieve the CPU of a large burden and may enable clear audio. Also, if you have a choice of stereo audio vs 5.1 then go for stereo - the processing requirements are much lower.

You have a two core host (4 threads, but threads are not relevant), and you assigned both cores to the VM, meaning that host or VM being busy can affect the other. This is another potential cause of high CPU load. I do not suggest that you do anything about this specificially (i.e. do not reduce cores in the VM) as the alternatives will be worse. The goal should be to reduce the workload, not the core allocation.

Another point I don't like is that you seem to have the host DVD drive mapped permanently to the VM. This leaves the VM subject to physical I/O problems in that drive, and indeed I see several I/O errors reported in the log, right before the VM boots from hard disk. IMO it would be better to leave this mapping empty until the DVD drive is needed.
Oracle VM User

Post by Oracle VM User »

Thank you mpack for your considerate reply with all those suggestions!

I'm one of "those" people that the more I try to fix things---- I can actually make things worse and get into a deep dive of computer changes that would ruin other functions.....

So with that caveat about myself: I chose to take this project step by step--to find out the cause and your easiest item to try out first:
mpack wrote:In the short term I suggest reducing the VM RAM allocation to 1024MB. Windows 7 (32bit) should be fine with that.
I launched the Windows 7 right after that, and NOT using my USB audio devices at all.... just using FILES already stored on the Host Machine Windows 10 the static was noticeably worse from my laptop speakers (which were working under prior version of Oracle VM before I did anything) .

Further, the cursor on the Guest Windows 7 was immediately erratic and jumpy, so I might roll right now, that suggestion back to 2048.
[Computer location (Do I have it correct?) I adjusted the item under Windows7 32 bit VM - Settings/ System / Motherboard/ Base Memory: 2048
reduced to 1024 MB.

Question: What might be a good inbetween setting? I have no idea!

----------------------------------------

I will await your further instructions, but that doesn't mean I didn't "look" at all your other very smart suggestions and solutions. While I'm in no way unhappy or complaining, I just wanted to add to your information about how the computer is used the following comments to your great suggestions (before I "touch" anything and make everything worse)....

I'm afraid you are still heavily over committing host RAM
I totally agree! :( But since I'm still needing and using this Windows 7 VM daily,
I know I am only able to close/shut down what items I can easily "restore" back... So all my word processors, and WordPad/NotePad/Jarte etc are all emptied and closed down (unless one is left open with something I needed to get from the Windows 7 Guest Audio device to use on that item)

Basically I learned to run a lean machine when I go into Oracle VM Virtual Box program---but slowly its become worse over time....
Might be older Host Laptop causing it? I've emptied this past weekend every possible "extra" item I could release from Desktop memory area or Main 1TB storage to give the Windows 10 more flexibility in its handling of files, I'm now back up to 251 GB free...looking for more items that are large and can be moved off to my new external HDD's

[offtopic] Yes I re-read all my words many times over before sending out/posting--so I posted this correction to my own wording:

I realize my saying "external HDD's" might give you wrong impression that I'm overusing the Host machine with the new 4TB HDDs---more than one to store items off the 1 TB Main "C:" drive..

Far from it!

I absolutely do NOT use HDD and back up or transfer/copying programs at same time as Oracle Virtual Box and I completely shut down computer to empty cache and anything else to cool it off before going back in to launch Oracle VM after I've completed my other tasks for the day, with the Host Computer... No no no... I don't make all the programs run at once... I try to run lean except for always having questions for "Google" and other search engines to answer for me. [/offtopic]

You can monitor the VM log yourself to see how you are doing
Wow! Mind expanding! I did not know or recognize in that log "what" was important for me to notice or keep my eye on and what is not!

My Question in return is, can I use a "CPU" monitor app or program on Windows 7 to monitor that (or if there is none there as its too old to get one) I have one for the CPU monitoring of the Windows 10 that I occasionally can turn on.

See? I know some things, but you are the expert as to what is really meaningful and helpful to fix problems! Thank you!

But, it would be also be good to test a different audio device, ideally not a USB based one.
Happy you brought that up! My writing is unfortunately extra wordy and dense, my apologies so maybe I did not make it clear...

I'm testing all changes using audio files already on the Windows 10 file system in a flash drive attached. They are created by older SONY equipment so they are not ".mp3" standard audio files but the ones created and proprietary to SONY called ".msv" sound/audio files. I also am using on Windows 7 OS the only Digital Voice Editor version that works still with Windows 7, SONY's version 3.3.

It is those files (which were working a few weeks ago perfectly sounding just right, with whatever settings and other things I was using) before I installed the latest version of Oracle VirtualBox --- that is 6.1.34

As often happens with my older systems, when I install something new, I find things do not work well, and it takes multiple back and forth queries and guidance to find out what "new" problem I have with the update.

Of course other than rolling back the Oracle Virtual Box to 6.1.32 or whatever it was before this (major updates --non beta---are even numbers! I remembered what scottgus1 wrote to me earlier!) I try to keep up with latest version.

[Why you ask? You didn't ask I know.....because when I delay (and I ALWAYS DELAY) and hesitate for weeks, from installing any "new" version of Oracle Virtual Box as that makes me work to find someone else on these forum pages, who had same problems as myself to try their fixes.....so I probably have a total confusion of different pieces of changes over the years to the Windows 7 VM to make it continue to work with the newer updates.

In a similar vein, install the Guest Additions as a matter of urgency. These will make graphics in particular run more efficiently, which will relieve the CPU of a large burden and may enable clear audio.
Jumping ahead a bit so you know my ignorance of such things... I didn't know about "Guest Additions" [Section 4 of User Manual] until you mentioned it... The User Manual is huge... 233 pages if I print it fully ...... (and I prefer printed reading to computer screen)...and I never did understand the difference between "Guest Additions" and the other item ..... the Oracle VM VirtualBox Extensions that I always update each time I get a new version of the main program (Running 6.1.34.150636 in case you didn't see that on the log or elsewhere).

I viewed the steps I will need to follow if I am to add them in.

I think I can find what they are asking for, but I have not yet attempted until I first inform you of the results of my first change of VM RAM memory, in case that now indicated some new problem, before I go adding in Guest Additions and do it wrong and create further issues!!!!

Another point I don't like is that you seem to have the host DVD drive mapped permanently to the VM. This leaves the VM subject to physical I/O problems in that drive, and indeed I see several I/O errors reported in the log, right before the VM boots from hard disk. IMO it would be better to leave this mapping empty until the DVD drive is needed

Great! Fantastic! No one ever pointed that out to me.... I'm starting my "Google" and A+ old physical books researching into where exactly I turned "on" ?

[So sorry! I don't recall specifically asking for mapping, therefore I never knew there was mapping going on or how to turn it on and off as YES I might (rarely) have to access AUDIO files and burn audio files to CD's which is why I certainly do NOT want to turn this feature off entirely and stifle one of the SONY Digital Voice Editor native functions that I really should be doing to get more files off Windows 7 and into the "real world" of .mp3's common extensions for saving them!]

if you have a choice of stereo audio vs 5.1 then go for stereo - the processing requirements are much lower.
I'm happy you brought that up! :D

I'm using this audio for personal voice messages and drafts of writing longer items that I transcribe from the SONY Digital Voice Editor later very very very slowly as no one else will do it for me.

Therefore, I am "using" a device that is very complete and fancy, but I do not use the Stereo function at all, everything (I just checked for curiosity) has been recorded in Mono for years and years..... so I'm already using the lower processing requirements and continue having all these difficulties....which means that I'm seriously close to crashing my Oracle VM program and/or the Host Computer again if that is true.....

---------------------------------------------

And again I know you'll say I brought up too many topics for one thread................. but I'm just giving my initial reactions to your suggestions....

I will try them in order one by one, so you can follow my suggestions..

I restored back the VM RAM allocation to 2048 so the cursor works properly as I try other things here after I see what reaction you have to my sloppy computer usage methods.. ....

Thanks for reading a lot of items, I try to number them, I know it doesn't help reduce the wordage but at least you can refer to the errors I'm making by "number".

Oracle VM User
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The suggestion to reduce RAM use or make more RAM available was not actually a suggestion - it is a requirement for stable performance. You can't still have your cake after you've eaten it, so I'm sorry if the rules of arithmetic are unwelcome, but they are the rules. You must either reduce your RAM requirements or add RAM to the PC. Or get a new PC.

A jumpy cursor is a consequence of not installing the Guest Additions.
Oracle VM User

Post by Oracle VM User »

Thank you once again mpack!

Your suggestions are wise indeed.

New PC has to wait for better economic times both in the outside world, and inside my bank account. I'm going to need one for Windows 11 anyway!

Until then I have daily use/need for using VirtualBox VM and most definitely afterwards, as Windows 7 is even older with Windows 11 OS software when that happens!

I'm certain Oracle VM will update their software to allow for improved Windows 11 operating system.

I reduced my Host activity by turning OFF ALL word processing tasks, including WordPad NotePad where I was drafting versions of these posts before I pasted them in for final editing here... I also reduced my Host activity by turning entirely off one browser and only kept alive the Microsoft Edge I don't use for much except things like posting in Oracle Virtualbox Forums.... I have to have that on at a minimum, to post and copy and paste items from the Host and Guest and User Manual. {You know the answer already, none of this reduction succeeded in reducing or changing the static and jumpy cursor----my Windows 10 is fully updated to latest updates}

I have done and attempted to do as instructed:

1. Restored the RAM down to 1024.

2. Installing right away the Guest Additions I've not used up till now. Will do so and report right away what happens!

Woah! Stopping.......

I quote the following from the User's Guide
4.2.1.1. Installing the Windows Guest Additions
In the Devices menu in the virtual machine's menu bar, Oracle VM VirtualBox has a menu item Insert Guest Additions CD Image, which mounts the Guest Additions ISO file inside your virtual machine. A Windows guest should then automatically start the Guest Additions installer, which installs the Guest Additions on your Windows guest.
Happy to follow instructions!

1. Left click on the Blue tab marked Windows 7 32 Bit VM [powered off] ---yes I remember you mentioned about the logs being saved during powered off session....this is how it looks...hopefully its powered off still

2. Had difficulty finding a "Devices" menu item. Checked search in User Manual and discovered it hiding under
User Interfaces:
Insert Guest Additions CD Image
Its Checked off! Always been checked off!

Reading the User Manual it says:
4.1 Introduction to Guest Additions
Each version of Oracle VM VirtualBox, even minor releases, ship with their own version of the Guest Additions. While the interfaces through which the Oracle VM VirtualBox core communicates with the Guest Additions are kept stable so that Guest Additions already installed in a VM should continue to work when Oracle VM VirtualBox is upgraded on the host, for best results, it is recommended to keep the Guest Additions at the same version.

The Windows and Linux Guest Additions therefore check automatically whether they have to be updated. If the host is running a newer Oracle VM VirtualBox version than the Guest Additions, a notification with further instructions is displayed in the guest.
I didn't have to show it to you a second time, but if I just typed my words below with my long posts, you might not understand where I read it from:

So I should have been automatically notified of any requirement to change or update to equal the latest host version, the "guest additions" since I always had this box checked off in each version and every one of my Guest OS's I use

While each installation of a new VirtualBox version comes as I am aware, its own updated extensions, they made it simple......for computer "dummies" like me. A pop up window appears ... with the requirement (not a suggestion) that I click here to install the newest, latest Extensions from the Oracle web site. Which I've done like dozens of times.

At no time have I ever noticed, or been notified in my memory of a "second" requirement called Guest Additions.. You're the first to open my eyes to its existence or need at this time.

User Manual Instructions confirm that what should have occurred each time is:
4.2.1.1 Installing the Windows Guest Additions
In the Devices menu in the virtual machine's menu bar, Oracle VM VirtualBox has a menu item Insert Guest Additions CD Image, which mounts the Guest Additions ISO file inside your virtual machine. A Windows guest should then automatically start the Guest Additions installer, which installs the Guest Additions on your Windows guest.
So reading ahead I have two choices:

1. Either figure out WHY the Guest Additions CD image ---despite the blue check mark [Yes I turned it off and on and tested reloaded Guest--nothing different] is NOT loading and fix that problem.....

OR

2. Follow the instructions for manually loading in the CD image as in 4.2.1.1 Installing the Windows Guest Additions

Question: Would you require a "new" log at this point to diagnose why the Guest Additions is not loading in automatically?

[offtopic]Just to confirm my speakers ARE working in the Host when I'm launching and closing the Guest OS, I hear the brief "Windows" sound effects perfectly without the slightest hint of static. Any saved items in .mp3 on the main Host are playing through the speakers perfectly as normal, so its only when Windows 7 OS is controlling the audio and laptop speakers. [/offtopic]

and Just to prove that I really am not sure what I'm doing..... I not only changed the "check' mark with the Guest Window 7 OS "powered off" state

BUT.....

I fiddled around with unchecking and re-checking the
User Interfaces:
Insert Guest Additions CD Image
while the Guest Windows 7 OS was in active, window open state.

I also---tested it using something that we BOTH could be certain has not been corrupted in any event--- I never used it before in the Windows 7, under libraries with "music" directory, there are three sample music items. I tested all three through those various stages of on/off checkmarks for the Guest Additions and the lowering of RAM down to even 900 MB (yes I should "not" fiddle with things I'm not comfortable with changing!)

Nothing to report.. static is erratic, has nothing to do with movement of the cursor which became erratic on its own with new Version of the Oracle VirtualBox 6.1.34

[offtopic]
or add RAM to the PC
I'm sure you noticed my RAM is 8GB, that is maximum PCI slots/RAM allowed for the laptop....wish there were a way to add "external" RAM to a laptop, but again that is why my "next" computer is definitely back to a desktop where I can stick my fingers in and use an empty PCI slot for expanded capabilities as the machine ages![/offtopic]

Keeping my posts shorter and to the point, just 2 items here.

Oracle VM User
Last edited by Oracle VM User on 22. Jun 2022, 17:57, edited 2 times in total.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Windows guests do not always run the contents of a CD when the CD is inserted - that depends on how the auto-run feature is configured. If the installer does not start by itself then no problem - just browse to the CD and double-click the VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe file yourself.
Oracle VM User

Post by Oracle VM User »

Sorry....

I make a bit of humor....

"Homer Simpson" voice saying "Duh...."
just browse to the CD and double-click the VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe file yourself

What CD? Should I have had a physically mounted CD? Is there a "virtual" CD hiding away somewhere inside the Oracle VirtualBox program that I don't know how to access?

Hmmmmmm

Thanks for replying! I'm not giving up!
Learning a lot too!

Oracle VM User
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

Put simply, an ISO image is a 'virtual CD' and when you browse to the VMs CD Drive you will see that the loaded ISO display files exactly like the contents of a CD.
Oracle VM User

Post by Oracle VM User »

Thank you multiOS!

Sometimes I need a physical presence to just point my fingers/cursor in the right direction!

Now I got Error message

Question: Should I retype and post this as an "Error message" elsewhere in the forum so not to put too many issues into this one thread?
Willing to move, just say the word and I'll re-format the post and place it into whatever category it needs to go to be organized better in the Forum for others with this same "Error" message to discover it and its resolution! I try to pass along my knowledge as I get it passed on to me from all the people working here!

Anyway, for the moment: I found the virtual CD by browsing the Virtual Computer for it....it was really ON the Host Computer....but I had to have the Guest Windows7 OS operating in order to get the "Devices" menu with the CD listed there.....

Hard to copy/paste this item, forgive spelling errors as hand typed Error message:
VirtualBox-Error
(X) Unable to insert the virtual optical disk C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso into the machine Windows7 32bit VM.

Details:

Could not mount the media/drive 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso
(VERR_PDM_DRIVER_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code: E_Fail (0x80004005)
Component : ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole
{872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Calee: IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}
Next step is?

(I can "guess" my task is to find the missing "driver" [not clear on its exact name yet] but.......... OLD OLD SONY VAIO LAPTOP [model number if you need it]..... I've been there before and store people always tell me "time for new machine as SONY VAIO drivers have not been updated for many years")

So its finally come down to that.... maybe... unless there is a "virtual" driver that is missing?

But I'm just poking at solutions in the dark here.... I leave this to brighter minds to tell me where to click next!

Oracle VM User
multiOS
Volunteer

Post by multiOS »

It's really not rocket science, but you do seem to be trying to make a straightforward procedure far more complex than is intended/required:

After you have logged in to the virtual machine:

1. Click on Devices in the Menu and select "Insert Guest Addition CD image..."
2. The installer probably won't automatically run a CD installer in Windows 7, but will provide prompts on screen for you to select the required actions, just as it would if installing any other software provided on CD
3. If the prompts don't appear, or you miss them, then
4. Navigate to the VM's CD Drive using Windows Explorer/File Manager and launch the installer, as mpack previously advised
5. When the installation completes 'eject' the CD image using Devices Menu > Optical Drives > Remove disk from virtual drive; and then reboot the Virtual Machine.

Done.

Guidance to the procedure is in the Virtual Box User Manual 4.2.2.1
Oracle VM User

Post by Oracle VM User »

Hi multiOS!

I'm back! (you're probably getting tired of me)....but I'm HOPEFUL! I will achieve success soon!)

I LOVE :heart: computer books/manuals step by step instructions! Its how I've done computers for decades, no memory needed!
After you have logged in to the virtual machine:

1. Click on Devices in the Menu and select "Insert Guest Addition CD image..."
2. The installer probably won't automatically run a CD installer in Windows 7, but will provide prompts on screen for you to select the required actions, just as it would if installing any other software provided on CD
3. If the prompts don't appear, or you miss them, then
4. Navigate to the VM's CD Drive using Windows Explorer/File Manager and launch the installer, as mpack previously advised
5. When the installation completes 'eject' the CD image using Devices Menu > Optical Drives > Remove disk from virtual drive; and then reboot the Virtual Machine.
Here is what I did:

1. Launched Windows 7 32bit Guest
2. Menu/ Devices / Insert Guest Addition CD image clicked on it
3. Now I know where it is from now on!
4. Same exact error message as above:
VirtualBox-Error
(X) Unable to insert the virtual optical disk C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso into the machine Windows7 32bit VM.

Details:

Could not mount the media/drive 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso
(VERR_PDM_DRIVER_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code: E_Fail (0x80004005)
Component : ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole
{872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Calee: IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}
5. So took your alternative manual operation, Step 4 quoted directly above....!

6. Windows 7 Windows Explorer/File Manager Does not report or reveal any CD Drive to click on to search for "File"

7. Maybe its under "Devices and Printers" in the Windows 7 Guest? checked......no its not

8. Went back out to Host Windows 7 (while still running Windows 7 in background in case that is the magic combination I didn't do)

9. Checked under Windows 10 "Devices and Printers" (also under File Explorer/Manager--same results).... Says "Drive is empty....insert a disk--help me find a disk" so no disk to "search" for files.

[Yes I click on everything for assistance/help.. help me "find" a disk went to Windows Knowledge Base on what types of Disks work with the drive, nothing useful that I didn't know how to do].

10. Extra information in case I need a "driver" for the DVD : Matshita DVD -RAM UJ892AS

Ready for next steps to fix the "new" problem!

Thanks for your patience with me and my old laptop! I certainly want a new one! But I use higher math co-proessor programs whatever those are called today, so I'll need to save up for a faster unit than others generally have---not a gamer but I usually end up with high end office systems or "gaming quality systems" over the decades....

Enough digressions for one posting.... thanks for reading all my garbage descriptions! I should really LEARN how to speak/write in shorthand like you all do here...then I'd be briefer!

Oracle VM User
multiOS
Volunteer

Post by multiOS »

Code: Select all

6. Windows 7 Windows Explorer/File Manager Does not report or reveal any CD Drive to click on to search for "File"
This suggests (to me) that the (Virtual) CD Rom Drive, which is created when a VM is originally set up, has been deleted from the Virtual Machine. Easy to check whether this is so: In The Virtual Box Manager - Check the Storage section for the VM for an entry showing similar to the one in the image below which shows "[Optical Drive] Empty". Does a similar entry exist for your Windows 7 VM? If yes, what does the entry for the device say?

Please forget entirely about the existence of a physical CD/DVDRom Drive on the Host PC/laptop.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-06-23 at 17.57.50.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-23 at 17.57.50.jpg (103.72 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
Oracle VM User

Post by Oracle VM User »

Thank you again multiOS for writing so clearly!

First opportunity to post a screenshot! Thank you!

Here is my listing:

Note red arrow pointing to what you wanted to know about Optical drive for the Windows 7, I turned it on---didn't know I could get back to that Manager page until you posted exactly how to do it .

I'm impressed by your list of OS's! I originally got this VirtualBox by the guy who "did all my heavy lifting if anything went wrong" at the computer store where I got my SONY VAIO computer. SO that is why I didn't have to write to the "Forum" for many years, as I had a person who knew this inside and out helping me.

I was supposed to have Red Hat Linux, and several Emulators running COBOL and other higher programming languages for me to "practice" on, but then again I'm impressed how many OS's you have accomplished on your VirtualBox, without problems!

Hope that "picture is worth a thousand words" as they say.

Next steps?

Thank you!

Oracle VM User

Hmmm I should be able to load up a screenshot let me check rules on how to do this
Until then does my "file" work? Oh too big
Does my zipped screenshot file work?
Attachments
Reply to Oracle VirtualBox Forum--multiOS member suggestion 6-23-22 zipped.zip
(119.36 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
multiOS
Volunteer

Post by multiOS »

Yes, that explains the problem. i.e. You are using 'passthrough' to give the VM direct access to the Hosts Physical CD Drive, but that has replaced the Virtual CD Drive and, as you can't possibly insert an ISO file into a physical drive, you get the error message you are experiencing.

You could, of course burn, ISOs to physical media using appropriate software to ensure the correct format. A very time consuming and wasteful process that is prone to error, but the better solution would be to create a new Virtual CD Drive so that you can again install VMs and software from downloaded ISO files rather than physical CDs/DVDs.

EDIT: Please read the following mini discussion between mPack and myself before following this suggestion.

1. With your Windows 7 VM completely shut down, bring up the Storage Stettings and select (click on) the Storage Controller that you want the new virtual CD/DVD Drive to be attached to.
2. Click on the '+' Add Icon to attach a new storage medium and select 'Optical Drive'
3. From the menu that appears, select VBoxGuestAdditions.iso and press the choose buttion. This will create the new virtual CD Drive, with the Guest Addittions installer preloaded
4. Close down the VirtualBox Settings Window and start Start your Windows 7 VM from the menu.
5. As the Guest Additions ISO is already loaded, use Windows Explorer to locate the new virtual CD Drive which should then show the installation files. In Windows VMs, double-clicking on the CD Drive should launch the installer, but if not then open the CD and run the VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe file
6. Pray for success :D
7. Follow the on-screen prompts to re-boot when the installation completes, but please remember to eject the Guest Additions ISO either before or after the re-boot. This should ensure that the New Virtual CD Drive remains in tact and is ready for reuse when needed.

See screenshots below which should help with the process:
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-06-24 at 15.21.49.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-24 at 15.21.49.jpg (46.03 KiB) Viewed 2650 times
Screenshot 2022-06-24 at 15.28.57.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-24 at 15.28.57.jpg (56.77 KiB) Viewed 2650 times
Last edited by multiOS on 24. Jun 2022, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I do not recommend adding multiple CD/DVD drives to one VM as that too can cause confusion, i.e. the possibility of mounting the same ISO in two drives simultaneously.

I also was not aware that mapping a virtual CD/DVD to a host drive means that you can't then map it to an ISO... and I'm actually pretty sure that is not the case. So in fact I just tried it, i.e. I configured my Win7 VM to have the host bluray drive mapped, started it, and chose Devices|Insert Guest Additions CD image... , which worked fine. AFAIK this always works with Windows guests.