Checkered Windows 10 64bit VM Error

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Syrogiannis

Checkered Windows 10 64bit VM Error

Post by Syrogiannis »

Hello Everyone,

Whenever i try opening my Windows 10 VM i run into the Checkered.png error, i've tried checking for this error online but nothing seems to apply to my case.
The Windows 10 VM version is correct, meanwhile i've put at least 2 cores with 4 tried as well with 2 to 4 GB's of Ram but nothing changes.
The VM settings are as seen on Setting.png and the logs that are created when running the VM are also attached as VBox.txt and VBoxHardening.txt which are creating on runtime.
I am using a brand new .iso Windows installation from Windows Image Creation Tool which i have also re-installed as well as the VM Box app itself but nothing changed per usual.

The photo's and the files are attached on this google drive link drive google com drive folders 1PT-wS8nwMgrnpzb1p8BeC_LEAlf-rg1q?usp=sharing

I'd be glad if someone could help me out on this one as i'll need a VM on the following days to perform some tasks!

Best Regards,
Syrogiannis
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Checkered Windows 10 64bit VM Error

Post by mpack »

Please attach images locally, and also provide a zipped VM log. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Syrogiannis

Post by Syrogiannis »

Hello mpack,

I uploaded the images locally, thank you for the quick response!
Attachments
Settings.PNG
Settings.PNG (35.15 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
VBox.rar
(25.39 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Checkered.PNG
Checkered.PNG (32.18 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I don't think this is display corruption at all. What I'd guess you are looking at there is a graphics buffer being displayed on a text mode screen. It seems to be just a symptom of very slow boot and/or failure to boot.

So the next question is, where did the boot ISO come from, and have you done a checksum test on it?

Also, what is drive E:? If this is a USB thumb drive or network share then it could be incredibly slow.

Final question, why did you choose VHD format for the VM primary disk? VHD is not the default and nor is it recommended. You only use VHD to support old Windows Virtual PC VMs (and even then it's better to convert to VDI first).

Also, are you trying to frig the CPU ID? Previous threads with similar images have involved CPUs that VirtualBox does not recognize (e.g. here), but your CPU is not amazingly new, it is in fact a 4th generation i5.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, a well-known cause for this green checkered screen is running Intel Power Gadget on the host.
Syrogiannis

Post by Syrogiannis »

Hello mpack,

The issue seemed to be with the VHD VM format instead of the suggested VDI, i just saw the first youtube tutorial and followed it step by step but i guess that setting was wrong.
After creating a new VM image with VDI i was able to boot it normally and i installed Windows 10 Pro without it crashing in the process.
I didn't do a checksum, nor do i think it is required at this point.
My E: drive is my HDD meanwhile my C: is an SSD, my SSD doesn't have a lot of space that can be allocated for a VM and thats why i went with the HDD.
And lastly i am not frigging my CPU ID.

I posted the above information to clarify the solution of the issue, thank you for everything!

Best Regards,
Theodoros
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

To me, I'd suspect something else than VHD vs VDI. VMs can run on VHD just fine. VHD has a design flaw that can totally kill the VM if the VHD is set to be dynamic-sized and a host glitch happens while the disk is expanding. But it's an all-or-nothing death, not the partial trouble this VM has.

In all likelihood your restarting the VM allowed something else to be set correctly that was set wrong in the first VM.