After update to 6.1.34 virtualbox hang and freeezing if WLS enabled

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
wesw

After update to 6.1.34 virtualbox hang and freeezing if WLS enabled

Post by wesw »

i'm seeing the same issue so i took the posted suggestion to install the 6.1.35-151573 test build. now when trying to start a vm i get the following. looks like virtualbox is crashing.

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine windows.

The VM session was aborted.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: SessionMachine
Interface: ISession {c0447716-ff5a-4795-b57a-ecd5fffa18a4}

---------------------------
VirtualBoxVM.exe - Application Error
The instruction at 0x00007FFC0F04A9E4 referenced memory at 0x0000000000000000. The memory could not be read.

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program
OK Cancel
wesw

Re: After update to 6.1.34 virtualbox hang and freeezing if WLS enabled

Post by wesw »

dropping back to 6.1.30 works nicely
wesw

Post by wesw »

i think i spoke too soon. using 6.1.30 i created a windows vm and installed windows 10. it seemed to be fine but then i ran windows update. the vm rebooted for windows to finish the update and it's been running to nearly 24hrs. it seems that the vm does not run at the correct speed. looks like the virtualization is really slow. my system is a windows 11 host with wsl (hyper-v services) enabled and a windows 10 guest with hyper-v paravirtualization enabled. is there something i need to do to fix the slowness??
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

First, try setting the VM to two processors.

If that doesn't help, try upgrading to the 6.1.35 test build. Save the test build installer until you update again later. You'll need it if your host's MSI installation database goes south (they do) and the installer will not be available for download after the next even-number version gets released.

If that doesn't help, check if Hyper-V is enabled. See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active)

If even that doesn't work, Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set. Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
wesw

Post by wesw »

the 6.1.35 test build does not even start the vm. it crashes immediately, so there's a bug in there somewhere. i'm already running with 2 processors.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

I think I've seen a similar crash when trying to start a VM with the combination of VirtualBox 6.1.35r151573 and the VirtualBox Extension Pack (EP) 6.1.34. Did you also upgrade the EP? ;)
wesw

Post by wesw »

ok this is looking this a complete non-starter. i can't make vbox work with wsl also enabled. the instructions at this page: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=99390, do in fact make vbox work but at the expense of wsl. the command on that page: "bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off" breaks wsl. for wsl to work you must have "bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto" set, but when you do that vbox goes right back to turtle mode -- slowness of death.

so here is my question: how can i get things setup such that wsl works and vbox works?

as to the previous question about upgrading the ep, you're right that i had the .34 version installed. i can try the test build again but with the .35 ep. but before i do can you tell me this will meet my requirements of wsl with vbox?
wesw

Post by wesw »

ok i just reinstalled the .35 test build with the matching ep. no more crash so thanks for that tip. however it is still in turtle mode.

is it possible to make this work?
wesw

Post by wesw »

i see this in the logs:

00:00:02.606385 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:02.659441 NEM: info: Found optional import WinHvPlatform.dll!WHvQueryGpaRangeDirtyBitmap.
00:00:02.663113 CPUM: No hardware-virtualization capability detected

so it seems that vbox is not using virtualization properly. why isn't vbox using the hype-v engine?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Those lines are the indication that Virtualbox is trying to run on top of Hyper-V.

Turtle mode is necessary for WSL, actually WSL2 (the original WSL didn't need Hyper-V). Some combination of host and VM OS's work OK, some don't. The devs are working on it, but it's not all there yet, especially since Microsoft keeps moving the goalposts. I seem to recall that Ubuntu was working well in a Virtualbox VM on Hyper-V. If your host and VM OS's can't pull it off, then you'll have to choose one or the other.
wesw

Post by wesw »

super disappointing. wsl2 was release a long time ago so this should be working by now. i guess i'll have fall back to using the crappy hyper-v.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

wesw wrote:this should be working by now.
scottgus1 wrote:Microsoft keeps moving the goalposts.
QED. :D
wesw

Post by wesw »

that's part of software development. goalposts always move. you deal with it. wsl runs on top of the same goal posts and continues to work. when the goal posts change there are notifications and time to react before the os is released. that is just a cop out.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

The devs are continuing to work on it. A lot of goalpost-moving and counter-dev-ing have happened since WSL2. The devs certainly have not given up.
wesw

Post by wesw »

amazing that vmware has no problem with the "moving goal posts". just installed vmware player and it works perfectly with hyper-v & wsl2 installed. guest os runs at full speed without ANY issues.