Guest OS (Any OS) Screen Resolution Issue

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Justliving

Guest OS (Any OS) Screen Resolution Issue

Post by Justliving »

Hi,
My Host is windows 10 64 bit, drivers are Intel R UHD 620.
I tried to install many OS but everytime I'm getting this resolution issue, I'm using laptop with 1366x786 but my guest OS has only 1024x786 which make scale and I have to scroll down using scale/ruler to go to bottom of guest. I installed guest additions already but the issue remain in both full screen and small screen, I'm attaching the screenshot. Please help me fix this as I'm unable to use guest OS, I even tried vmware but having the same issue

On my previous laptop everything was working fine but this new laptop, lenovo 8th gen is having this issue and I'm unable to use vbox. Please help
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (112.59 KiB) Viewed 1111 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Guest OS (Any OS) Screen Resolution Issue

Post by mpack »

First, your actual monitor doesn't matter except to set limits - the VM is using a virtual monitor (i.e. a window). The Win10 guest thinks it has a 4:3 display, hence it will only offer 4:3 resolutions, the largest of those which will fit on the host monitor 1024x768.

Long story short, install the Guest Additions (see chapter 4) and select your preferred display size from the View|Virtual screen 1|Resize to www x hhh menu items, instead of that Windows dialog. Hopefully Windows will eventually get the message that you prefer widescreen ratios.

Further discussion will require a VM log. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.