Error popup message appears on startup

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Majorian-TheOneYouNeed

Error popup message appears on startup

Post by Majorian-TheOneYouNeed »

When I reach the last step of the Windows 98 installation ("setting up hardware and finalizing settings"), it gives me a popup error, and when I click close it also closes the installer window and a message with a yellow triangle pops up and says something about a shell32 file that is missing. When I click ok nothing happens and the estimated time remaining does not change. If I restart the machine it just says "while initializing device NDIS: windows protection error. You need to restart your computer". I have win 10 and a Ryzen processor, if that helps. Can you help me?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Error popup message appears on startup

Post by scottgus1 »

Please check if this helps: Tutorial: Windows 95/98 guest OSes
Majorian-TheOneYouNeed

Post by Majorian-TheOneYouNeed »

Thanks, but the fix for the error message doesn't work because it presupposes that windows 98 is already installed, as far as I can see. I tried to do it but it didn't work. It said Windows 98 was missing when I inserted the iso file with the patch.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I've not tried installing 98 where the 'protection error' came up. But since the link to the patch in the tutorial was apparently broken, it may be unlikely that you actually attempted it. Please try again, there is a new link available.