Win98se Re-Install Failure

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
GoGo

Win98se Re-Install Failure

Post by GoGo »

VirtualBox 6.2.34 and I installed a working Win98se.vdi which I downloaded. After several attempts, I was able to succeed in running Win98 on my new Asus MB PC with 64gb ram, NVME's and all the trimmings. I was so happy. I decided to remove the Win98se VM because I wanted to relocate it and that was what I did. Since then, I have not been able to create a Win98se VM that works, being that it is stuck on the Splash screen. After the original install, I made these changes in settings to get the working Win98se (That info is at the bottom of this post). Needless to say, when the newer installation Started up Win98se to a Splash Screen and stuck, I had to close it. On the next run, the dos windows told me that Win98 did not close properly and to start it up in Safe Mode. .. Eventually, I decided to delete all the files, remove the program Virtual Box, restart the PC, and the run a disk cleaning utility. I inspected the HDD for remnants of VirtualBox and Win98se. There were none, I rebooted, I reinstalled. When I attempted starting the new machine, it Splashed, then told me that the last time Win98se shut down incorrectly and to start it in Safe Mode. I was surprised because I had cleaned up so much. So, I am using Windows 11, and I didn't think that Windows 11 uses the same "Windows Installer" that holds a persistent cache of Programs that launch or install persistently at boot up. So, I'm wondering if a persistent file, dll, driver, or whatever is preventing Win98 from starting-- especially I was running Win98se just fine for about 1 week before I decided to move it.
Before powering up the VM for the 1st time, change the following settings in order to run Win98se:
SYSTEM
- System/Motherboard, Base Memory = 1024
o System/Processor, Check in Enable PAE/NX
o System/Acceleration, NO check in Enable Nested Paging
DISPLAY
o Display/Screen, Video memory to 64mb
o Display/Screen, Check Enable 3D Acceleration
STORAGE
- Storage, click on Controller: Floppy, NO check “Use Host I/O Cache”
Now, click the green arrow “Start”
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Win98se Re-Install Failure

Post by mpack »

Provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.

Also of interest: Howto: Move a VM. There was never any reason to delete a working VM.
GoGo

Post by GoGo »

The Log file in zip is attached.

Today I created a clean Win98se VM. It actually loaded all the way to the log-in screen and I logged in. I experienced Win98se for about 2 or 3 minutes before the crash. Then I closed the machine and checked the settings. I had installed it on Drive C, but the location of the VM, was now on drive U: which is the prior location but U: no longer exists. Putting the VM on drive C: is kind of a no-brainer if that want it needs. So, I deleted the VM, and carefully created a new VM on C: Then I started up and got as far as the login, but a new dialog box below the login box gave the error "Error Starting Program" The SHELL32.DLL file is linked to the missing export SHLWAPI.DLL:tFileAttributesA" and the option to close it up. Additional VM starts show Win98se stuck on the splash screen but no error dialog box.

I've tweaked the setting a lot attempting to fix it, without gaining a positive result. And thank you for not telling me that I should have made a snapshot as I made a snapshot and also deleted it while changing some partitions.

Drive C is an NVME drive. But the VM worked for 1 week on C: before I removed the VM. I did not have to check inside of the box, ‘Storage, Controller:IDE, Win98.vdi, “solid-state drive.”’
Windows Error.jpg
Windows Error.jpg (46.66 KiB) Viewed 2024 times
Attachments
Win98se-2022-05-01-20-01-05.zip
(27.29 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Last edited by mpack on 2. May 2022, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove unwanted zip wrapper around jpeg
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

A VM doesn't care what host drive (or drive type) you locate it on. All that matters is that the drive is not corrupted, and is fast enough to keep up with the timing demands of the OS. Thumb drives for example will have unpredictable and unreliable write performance.

Incidentally, you can disable 3D acceleration in the VM settings. 3D acceleration is only possible with Guest Additions, and those do not exist for DOS based guests.

1024MB RAM is rather high for the Win98SE era. Even my first XP PC only had 64MB RAM. My own Win98SE VM has 256MB RAM, plus 20MB of graphics memory.

I am perturbed that this Win98SE image is something you downloaded. That raises licensing issues and it also means we have no idea of what's on the disk. Win98SE was only partially plug and play - it dates from an era where most people could not afford to store gigabytes of drivers for hardware they aren't using, therefore the drivers that are present will be intended for specific hardware, and the OS will regularly request the install CD if it detects new hardware. If you want to have minimal problems with a Win98SE install then you need to start from an official install CD, not a ready made disk image.
GoGo

Post by GoGo »

Mpack, I read your comments, and I took them to heart. I understand that my recent post has perturbed you. I hope you are not too perturbed that the WIN98se image is something I downloaded, if you are, please don't notify the authorities that I have an unlicensed copy and am ripping off Microsoft. In that case, I would be forced, as a point of honor and to save face, to commit honorable seppuku after dinner and it makes a mess to clean up. To prove that I am not hard or all money, I am willing to pay Microsoft the market rate for software that is now 24 years old. The NVME drive C: was something I mentioned because VBox has a checkmark for SSD drives, but you skilfully pointed out that "VM doesn't care what host drive (or drive type) you locate it on." I'm not entirely sure if I am dazzled or if I am more baffled by your post. On one hand, the OS I downloaded with instructions that provided the setting actually worked perfectly for one week until I intentionally uninstalled the VM. But, I think I am more baffled by someone as knowledgeable as yourself not taking the time to evaluate the two attachments using your experience and analytical ability and then inform me why this error occurs? Honestly, I didn't have this much problem installing Windows 2.0 in 1985 when configuring it on my Compact Deskpro, but it just goes to show how much the times have changed. Thanks for your help.
GoGo

Post by GoGo »

My last post. Tonight, I started VB, then started the Win98se VM. It started and it worked perfectly. I even browsed the internet. Wow. I didn't change even one of the settings. I'm not sure why the VM began to run without errors tonight or to be stuck on the splash screen. But, miracles never cease to amaze me. I'm good.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

GoGo wrote:I mentioned because VBox has a checkmark for SSD drives
The VM settings has options for lots of things, not all of which will be relevant to every OS you think to install. In the case of the "Solid-state drive" option for example, enabling that would cause the VM to emulate an SSD, e.g. by supporting "trim". But since Win98 has no knowledge of SSDs or "trim", that setting change would be useless. And the option has nothing whatever to do with the nature of the host drive.