Guru Meditation - Windows 98SE guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
MagikGimp

Guru Meditation - Windows 98SE guest

Post by MagikGimp »

I was asked to post this (presumably) here. I hope it's useful to somebody. Windows XP and 95 are a lot more stable. I forget why but I've had (and have read about previously but also forget what and where) stability problems in the past with 98 as well I'm pretty sure.
What did I do when this occurred? I clicked that Quit button. It's a DemoShield Run-Time Player 6 (Macromedia?) menu.
Attachments
VBox.jpg
VBox.jpg (110.92 KiB) Viewed 2191 times
Last edited by mpack on 30. Apr 2022, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replace offsite image with local copy.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Guru Meditation - Windows 98SE guest

Post by mpack »

Topic moved to "Windows Guests" since the host OS is not relevant to the question asked.

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.

Attach images locally using the "Upload attachment" tab. Trim them to fit. Assuming they are needed at all.
MagikGimp

Post by MagikGimp »

VBox.zip
(74.51 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The audio is behaving weirdly. What happens if you disable it in the VM settings?

Main RAM could stand to be a little higher, my own Win98SE VM uses 256MB.

Also, graphics RAM looks a bit low at only 18MB. I would increase to 32MB.
MagikGimp

Post by MagikGimp »

I'm not concerned about diagnosing and fixing this; I only posted because the software asked me to for you guys. You can see the software I was attempting to use but unfortunately I cannot provide you with a disk! As far as I can tell it's a standard Win 98SE setup and I've barely used it because I find XP and 95 far more stable, as I say. I wanted to try installing a wallpaper app that comes on the disk and not affect my other VMs. That worked fine; quitting the interface you see caused the problem and it makes sound frequently when you move the pointer over buttons. Simply disabling sound for the VM doesn't sound like a suitable solution if someone wants to use it for multimedia and the resources are more than sufficient for this app. Not to mention a quarter of a gig of RAM world have been a luxury in 99, when the game came out; the same for the graphics. And I wasn't even running the game. I'll leave this log with you to do with as you need but I'll be avoiding 98 as support still needs work it seems.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

MagikGimp wrote:Simply disabling sound for the VM doesn't sound like a suitable solution
I didn't say it was a solution, I simply asked a question. If disabling audio makes it reliable then we might look at, e.g., trying AC'97 audio emulation instead of the SoundBlaster emulation you currently use. But if disabling audio makes no difference then we don't need to consider audio alternatives.
MagikGimp

Post by MagikGimp »

The reason for SoundBlaster is that most 98 install guides for VB say to use it over AC'97 because 98 has native support. You said so yourself in fact here. I can't imagine changing to something more complicated is going to improve stability. Besides, 98 on VB can't do 3D for games etc. yet anyway so it's not worth perusing so don't worry about it. If the log is of no use for improving the software then that's too bad as posting it was only to aid with that.