open file from shared folder

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Andrew_VB
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win 10

open file from shared folder

Post by Andrew_VB »

Hi to all

I have this trouble using a Virtual machine Windows 10 with Virtual box installed on Windows 10 operating system.

I can't open some file .exe from a shared folder. The folder is resident on the same hard disk.
In my case, i use a program, TCP Manager portable, is . If i try to open it's executable file, is showed the error " Can't find the path file.

The file is on the hd of the operating system, in the virtual machine there is the shared folder where i open the file.

I use Virtual Box from some month, before with Virtual Machine, the same executable file could be open.

Thank's
scottgus1
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: open file from shared folder

Post by scottgus1 »

Andrew_VB wrote:I use Virtual Box from some month, before with Virtual Machine, the same executable file could be open.
This means something has changed somewhere. If you changed nothing in Virtualbox's settings, then something in the host OS or the VM's OS has changed. What has changed? Updates? Other programs added? Footling with permissions? Did you change anything in Virtualbox?

One thing to point out in making posts here:
Andrew_VB wrote:a shared folder. The folder is resident on the same hard disk.
The file is on the hd of the operating system,
Both the host PC and the VM have hard disks and operating systems. The above can apply to either the host, the VM, or any combination of the two.

In addition, there are two kinds of shared folders available to the VM: Virtualbox Shared Folders set up in Virtualbox and working through Guest Additions, and real shared folders shared from the host OS's sharing methods over the VM's network.

You'll want to be more clear which of these you mean.

I'll assume for now that the TCP Manager program is in a folder in the host's operating system on the host's hard disk. And you are sharing that folder through Virtualbox Shared Folders, and trying to open TCP in the VM inside the Virtualbox Shared Folder. And you're now getting a "Can't find the path file" error, probably from either TCP or the VM's OS.

If this is not correct, please clarify. Also clarify if the error is coming from TCP or the VM's OS.

Also, what file is not being found?
Andrew_VB
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win 10

Re: open file from shared folder

Post by Andrew_VB »

scottgus1 wrote:
Andrew_VB wrote:I use Virtual Box from some month, before with Virtual Machine, the same executable file could be open.
This means something has changed somewhere. If you changed nothing in Virtualbox's settings, then something in the host OS or the VM's OS has changed. What has changed? Updates? Other programs added? Footling with permissions? Did you change anything in Virtualbox?

This is the first time i use Virtual Box.
Before with VMware The same program was aviable.
The VM with virtual box is a new one but with the same operating system.
About the update, i have only update win 10, but it does't work from the beginning

One thing to point out in making posts here:
Andrew_VB wrote:a shared folder. The folder is resident on the same hard disk.
The file is on the hd of the operating system,
Both the host PC and the VM have hard disks and operating systems. The above can apply to either the host, the VM, or any combination of the two.

In addition, there are two kinds of shared folders available to the VM: Virtualbox Shared Folders set up in Virtualbox and working through Guest Additions, and real shared folders shared from the host OS's sharing methods over the VM's network.

You'll want to be more clear which of these you mean.

I know only one way to add a shared folder, in the machine option, ADD SHARED FOLDER, i insert the PATH, flag AUTO MOUNT.
So, i find the shared folder like a NETWORK FOLDER.
If you can explain the other way, with Guest Addition, i can try it.

I'll assume for now that the TCP Manager program is in a folder in the host's operating system on the host's hard disk. And you are sharing that folder through Virtualbox Shared Folders, and trying to open TCP in the VM inside the Virtualbox Shared Folder. And you're now getting a "Can't find the path file" error, probably from either TCP or the VM's OS.

If this is not correct, please clarify. Also clarify if the error is coming from TCP or the VM's OS.

Also, what file is not being found?
The file "NOT FOUND" is the executable of the program. TCPManager.exe

Thank you