Windows 10 guest VM keeps crashing and rebooting after a few mins

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
xcom

Windows 10 guest VM keeps crashing and rebooting after a few mins

Post by xcom »

Dear community,

I have a Win 10 VM on a Win 10 host that I used without any problems for over a year. I haven't changed anything in the configuration. My problem is, that the VM keeps crashing and rebooting after a few mins and I don't know why, since I haven't changed anything. My host system is also Win 10 and works fine and is stable, no problems there.

I have attached the log file, that I copied right after the crash. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Attachments
VBox.log
(111.02 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 10 guest VM keeps crashing and rebooting after a few mins

Post by mpack »

00:00:15.749531 GIM: HyperV: Guest indicates a fatal condition! P0=0x9f P1=0x3 P2=0xffffb18263887da0 P3=0xfffff8060aa6e850 P4=0xffffb182630c3350
00:00:15.749607 GIMHv: BugCheck 9f {3, ffffb18263887da0, fffff8060aa6e850, ffffb182630c3350}
00:00:15.749608 DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
00:00:19.747101 VMMDev: vmmDevHeartbeatFlatlinedTimer: Guest seems to be unresponsive. Last heartbeat received 4 seconds ago
00:00:26.837424 VMMDev: Guest Log: VBoxGuest: BugCheck! P0=0x9f P1=0x3 P2=0xffffb18263887da0 P3=0xfffff8060aa6e850 P4=0xffffb182630c3350
00:00:26.837653 GIM: HyperV: Reset initiated through MSR
Looks like a device driver problem of some kind. Have you installed any device drivers in the VM? Was this always a VirtualBox VM?

Btw to be clear: this problem is in the guest OS, basically the guest is BSOD-ing due to a driver crash. But it just so happens that you running this guest with the Hyper-v support API enabled, so VirtualBox is being notified of the guest error through that API. If you disabled the API then all that would happen is that you get a normal BSOD.

It might be worth trying the new VirtualBox 6.1.34 update that was released a couple of days ago.
xcom

Post by xcom »

Yes this was always a VirtualBox VM. Hm I haven't changed any device driver in the VM knowingly.

OK I will try the new update. Thanks you for the information.

Edit: So sadly updating to VirtualBox 6.1.34 did not fix the issue. I might have to re-install the VM.
Last edited by mpack on 24. Apr 2022, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove verbatim quote.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

xcom wrote:sadly updating to VirtualBox 6.1.34 did not fix the issue
Did you also update the Guest Additions? I would recommend booting the guest OS in safe mode, which hopefully prevents it from crashing while you are updating the GAs. From the Microsoft support FAQ: Start your PC in safe mode in Windows.
xcom wrote:I might have to re-install the VM.
I would not recommend doing that. Understanding the problem would serve far better in the future. Otherwise the chances are good that if you repeat what you did before, then after a lot of work you'll just end up right back where you are now.

You should look at the event monitor inside the guest OS and hopefully determine which driver has the problem. Verify that it is neither a native (Microsoft) driver nor a VirtualBox GAs driver. Then update or disable that driver.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

P.s. just on a general configuration note, I would reduce the CPU allocation to 2 cores, and enable 3D acceleration.
xcom

Post by xcom »

Sorry for the late reply.

The problem doesn't seem to be within the VM, since I have the same problem, when I try to set up and install a brand new Win 10 VM. After booting the new VM with a Win 10 ISO, I selected language etc. in the Windows setup and then it crashed with "Driver power state failure."

My PC however runs stable and never crashed. I have a Samsung 970 EVO and a Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD. Tried to install a new VM on each SSD but same result. So I think it can't be my harddisk, that causes the problem. Any guesses?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

There's no need for guesses IMO. Identify the guest driver that crashes and you'll know what the problem is. I already gave you the safe mode boot link above and I also suggested that you look at the event viewer in the guest. You don't mention doing either.

I don't understand why you were looking at the hosts disks... unless you misread my post? The word I used was DRIVER, not DRIVE.
xcom

Post by xcom »

Sorry I did not mention. I checked in the event viewer under administrative events and got this:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000009f (0x0000000000000003, 0xffffb60283f88c40, 0xfffff8043d06e850, 0xffffb602850e88a0). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: eca68679-8e45-4bbb-b6d1-0d3bf1b6adc5.

I see no driver failure or something of this sort. Please see attachment (sorry, it's in German language :o )

I also updated the Guest Additions but did not help.
Attachments
Event_Viewer.png
Event_Viewer.png (121.2 KiB) Viewed 15005 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Then the next obvious step would be to analyze the Windows Memory Dump (C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP). Google is full of advice on how to do that (in many languages).
xcom

Post by xcom »

I have analyzed my dump file and I just get DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. Not sure where to go from here. Could a corrupt driver on the host system be the fault of this?
Attachments
BSOD viewer.png
BSOD viewer.png (65.88 KiB) Viewed 14978 times
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

I'd suggest to use the (somewhat user friendly) WinDBG Preview from the Microsoft Store, which will automatically execute a !analyze -v when opening a Windows Memory Dump, and whose output hopefully will provide more information.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I suggest that you go into the power saving features of the guest OS and make sure everything is set to "always on", i.e. they make no attempt to power down virtual disks or virtual monitors regardless of how much time passes.
xcom

Post by xcom »

fth0 wrote:I'd suggest to use the (somewhat user friendly) WinDBG Preview from the Microsoft Store, which will automatically execute a !analyze -v when opening a Windows Memory Dump, and whose output hopefully will provide more information.
Ok did that and here's the result:
Attachments
Bugcheck_Analysis.txt
(3.22 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
xcom

Post by xcom »

mpack wrote:I suggest that you go into the power saving features of the guest OS and make sure everything is set to "always on", i.e. they make no attempt to power down virtual disks or virtual monitors regardless of how much time passes.
I have set it to "high performance" now in the guest, let's see if it makes a difference :)

Edit: Still keeps crashing :(
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

The Bugcheck analysis shows that the fault was detected in the HDAudBus.sys driver, and that a module named HdAudio was probably also involved. Overall, this means that something related to audio misbehaves when a power state is changed inside the guest OS. You could try different things:

In the VM configuration, disable audio completely by unchecking Audio > Enable Audio for a test. Does the BSOD still occur, and if so, in the same driver?

If you have optional USB audio device connected to the host, disconnect them, reboot the host, and test if the BSOD still occurs.

Since you now know that audio was involved, can you enforce and/or avoid the BSOD at will?

In the guest OS, update or uninstall anything audio related. Since this is a VM, you can experiment quite freely. ;)