Windows 10 guest VM keeps crashing and rebooting after a few mins

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
xcom

Re: Windows 10 guest VM keeps crashing and rebooting after a few mins

Post by xcom »

I have disabled audio in the VM configuration completely, the system still freezes and / or reboots. After such a reboot I made a new Bugcheck analysis. This time it says something about unhandeld exception in process name mscorsvw.exe. See attached full log.

Just a general thought. Since when trying to install a brand new Win 10 VM it also crashes during install, doesn't there have to be some problem within the host machine (aka my Win 10 PC)?
Attachments
Bugcheck_Analysis_2.txt
(5.31 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

This new BugCheck is totally different indeed: The mscoresvw.exe (.Net precompiler) is trying to execute the monitorx CPU instruction that's not provided by the VirtualBox vCPUs. I still suspect a connection to audio ...
xcom wrote:Just a general thought. Since when trying to install a brand new Win 10 VM it also crashes during install, doesn't there have to be some problem within the host machine (aka my Win 10 PC)?
This indicates a problem in the combination of the host OS, its drivers and VirtualBox. Please try some of the other audio setup changes I suggested earlier (and leave audio enabled in the VM configuration). Additionally, reproduce the initial BugCheck a few times and check if you get the same or different BugChecks each time.
Shmu26

Post by Shmu26 »

I can confirm that there is an issue with Windows 10 guest on Ubuntu host, and on MX Linux host (Debian-based). It triggered by the default audio config of the guest, and causes crashing and restarting of the guest. Disabling audio in the guest defuses the issue.
This issue does not exist on my Arch-based host (Garuda), which uses a different audio driver.
Apparently, this issue is due to a recent Windows update, because I have not made any other relevant changes to my system.