downloading guest additions in windows xp stops

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
hello is me

downloading guest additions in windows xp stops

Post by hello is me »

so i was downloading guest additions in windows xp then when its executing driver install it just stops executing.

any fix?
'
'
image_2022-04-13_191823593.png (71.52 KiB) Viewed 3387 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: downloading guest additions in windows xp stops

Post by mpack »

Try disconnecting the virtual network cable in the Devices menu.
hello is me

Post by hello is me »

mpack wrote:Try disconnecting the virtual network cable in the Devices menu.
nvm

thanks! :D
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Just to let you know, 'hello', the slow Guest Additions install in XP is a new thing, and disconnecting the VM's cable has ben discovered to restore fast install speeds. Why it's happening isn't known yet, but the workaround is easy. Just something to remember in the future.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

scottgus1 wrote:Just to let you know, 'hello', the slow Guest Additions install in XP is a new thing
I'm not really convinced of that. Once the workaround was found it reminded me that, back when I was one of the last XP host holdouts, I used to suffer those same symptoms every time I updated VirtualBox on the host. Back then I had discovered that the solution was to temporarily disable my NIC in Device Manager, which of course is pretty much the same workaround as above. I'm guessing that XP was searching online for some kind of confirmation of the bona fides of this install, and doesn't make quick progress.

I would have encountered this last around 2014 - I remember Win10 had been announced but wasn't yet available, so in the meantime I upgraded to Win7: the install problems never happened again, and I forgot about it. So either it's XP looking for servers that no longer exist, or it's VirtualBox somehow prompting XP to look for servers that never existed.

A bit like Win7 now, XP was no longer a supported host at the time I had these problems, so I never regarded it as an issue for the devs.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

That's interesting, Mpack! So it's rather a long-term issue... It never hit me, but my XP sp3 doesn't ask for activation, so something unusual in it might have influenced the question more positively for me.
hello is me

Post by hello is me »

scottgus1 wrote:Just to let you know, 'hello', the slow Guest Additions install in XP is a new thing, and disconnecting the VM's cable has ben discovered to restore fast install speeds. Why it's happening isn't known yet, but the workaround is easy. Just something to remember in the future.
oh...
saulosaurus

Post by saulosaurus »

I just waited out the install-- eventually the system tells you it doesn't trust what's being installed (or something to that effect, I wasn't taking notes) for a couple files; I had to click through the dialog a couple times. Maybe the system is trying to communicate with a Microsoft server?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

saulosaurus wrote:Maybe the system is trying to communicate with a Microsoft server?
That was already discussed above. All we can do is speculate, since none of us (AFAIK) has access to XP source code.