Is there a way to make virtualbox zoom in?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Arilando

Is there a way to make virtualbox zoom in?

Post by Arilando »

I'm currently installing a windows 95 virtual machine and the window is incredibly tiny and hard to see. Is there a way to make virtualbox zoom in?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Is there a way to make virtualbox zoom in?

Post by scottgus1 »

Arilando

Post by Arilando »

As far as i can tell the only relevant part there are the SciTech drivers which i've already installed. The max resolution is still quite small for a 4k display, which is why i'm wondering if there is any way to zoom in. If there is anything in that post about zooming in i would like to know (i don't see it).
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

This would have been good information for the first post:
Arilando wrote:As far as i can tell the only relevant part there are the SciTech drivers which i've already installed.
Arilando wrote:if there is any way to zoom in.
Try the VM window's View menu Virtual Screen # > Scale To, which have predefined scale sizes which maintain aspect ratio, and Scaled Mode, which stretches aspect ratio to the VM window size. Both methods stretch the pixels; they don't make more pixels. The VM OS's 'screen resolution/size' setting will remain the same: a 1024x768 OS will remain 1024x768 even when scaled, the pixels just get bigger.

If you want more pixels calculated by the VM OS, you'll have to play around with the SciTech app. I don't know how to do this, though. The tutorial has suggestions.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The SciTech driver is trialware with nag screens. I use the BearWindows driver instead.

Also, I would caution against trying to use Windows 95 with a 4K resolution. The performance will be terrible since there's no acceleration, the icons will be nearly invisible, and lots of apps may crash due to not expecting screen images to be so large. 800x600 was typical for the time, 1024x768 was pretty grand. I suggest you keep the display size moderate use one of the scaled modes Scott mentions to make it more visible on your screen. 200% scaling using works quite well - only slightly fuzzy but allowing a moderate pixel count to give a decent size on the monitor.