WINNT guest can't redirect LPT1 to WIN10 host, ANY HELP?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
SHIHYUAN

WINNT guest can't redirect LPT1 to WIN10 host, ANY HELP?

Post by SHIHYUAN »

Because I have old WINNT application activate by parallel port (LPT)dongle key.
i already test LPT1 function on winxp guest can redirect to win10 host, that is great.
But it seems no way to activate WINNT LPT1 function redirect to win10 host, have any suggestion or comment ,please?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: WINNT guest can't redirect LPT1 to WIN10 host, ANY HELP?

Post by mpack »

Hopefully you have read Howto: Enabling and Configuring Parallel (LPTx) Ports.

The ability to link guest parallel ports to the host LPT comes from a feature of VirtualBox on the host, it is not a feature of the guest OS, so I'd be surprised if your choice of guest OS makes any difference or adds any new hurdles. Probably you just have to configure each guest OS appropriately: it has been a long time, but last time I looked LPT was not a "plug and play" device, you have to add the hardware manually.

You say that you already successfully tested with an XP guest. Was the host hardware identical? I.e. not two different PCs, one with LPT on the motherboard and the other using a USB/LPT adapter.
SHIHYUAN

Post by SHIHYUAN »

Thanks for mpack reply my question.
Your guess with right points.
I setup more VMs each has different OS guest . one for winxp guest and one the other as WINNT guest on the identical hardware (Win10 host).
Before post question, I follow the guide as your post link reference and make experience on winXP LPT1 function and parallel dongle key on Win10 real printer port.
The above experience satify my expect , within winxp guest software license can be activated.
But, the mostly problem is target guest OS - WINNT , I try to experience same modify VM lptmode steps, the result was fail to activate software license.
I think that Virtual Box still not support WINNT LPT function redirect to real Win10 host printer port.
Have any solution or techinal support can resolve this hurdle?
Thanks for any reply.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Please post the .vbox files for both XP and NT VMs:

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. Zip the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file), and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions if the folder that opens does not show a .vbox file.)

Please provide both VMs so we can compare settings.

Also please note that the LPT port is not shareable. If one VM is using it, another VM cannot.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

SHIHYUAN wrote: I think that Virtual Box still not support WINNT LPT function redirect to real Win10 host printer port.
As I already mentioned, LPT is a feature of the virtual hardware, it is not a feature of the OS you choose to install, so it is definitely not the case that VirtualBox is (or needs to be) compatible with NT4 (*).

(*) p.s. I assume that by "NT" you mean NT4. Technically speaking every version of Windows not based on DOS is a version of NT, including Win10 and Win11.