"Microsoft Store" app gets stuck at "Starting Download" while installing "MSI" apps!

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
25-8

"Microsoft Store" app gets stuck at "Starting Download" while installing "MSI" apps!

Post by 25-8 »

Hi,

Can anybody here confirm if "Microsoft Store" app gets stuck at "Starting Download" while installing "MSI" apps?

Example of "MSI" apps available in the Microsoft Store:

PdfClerk (msi), Keyboard and Mouse Locker, Avast, InstallAware, etc

The apps mentioned above should be silently installed with "MSI" installer from "Microsoft Store" app!

Note that, "Microsoft Store" app may need\must be updated in order to be able to find and install "MSI" apps!

Host: Windows 7 x64 with VirtualBox 6.0.24 installed
Guests:
Windows 10 Pro x64 21H2 March 2022
Windows 10 Home x64 21H2 Sep 2021
The problem is occurring in "Microsoft Store" app version: 22203.1401.21.0
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: "Microsoft Store" app gets stuck at "Starting Download" while installing "MSI" apps!

Post by mpack »

Laggy operation usually means either or both of two things (1) not using 2 CPU cores, (2) Hyper-v enabled on the host.

But, with no VM log there's no way to know.
25-8

Re: "Microsoft Store" app gets stuck at "Starting Download" while installing "MSI" apps!

Post by 25-8 »

mpack wrote:Laggy operation usually means either or both of two things (1) not using 2 CPU cores, (2) Hyper-v enabled on the host.

But, with no VM log there's no way to know.
Logs.rar
(103.71 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Hope it helps find the problem.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Thanks for the logs (btw, only one is needed). Well, a Win7 host is confirmed, so it isn't Hyper-v.

But, the speculation that you only gave one core to the guest OS is also confirmed. Win10 really wants 2 cores, and I suggest you make that change for the VM.

I note however that your PC has rather a modest spec for something that is being asked to run two 64-bit OS's at the same time, only 4GB total RAM (but at least you seem to have avoided over-committing RAM), and only 2 cores total, so you can't practically avoid sharing cores. Still, even shared it should be better than it is now. I also suggest enabling 2D and 3D graphics acceleration: it should further reduce the CPU load on the VM.
25-8

Post by 25-8 »

mpack wrote: But, the speculation that you only gave one core to the guest OS is also confirmed. Win10 really wants 2 cores, and I suggest you make that change for the VM.
Oh my Goodness, setting the number of CPUs from 1 to 4 fixed the problem! (2 CPUs may be enough as well!)

I'm not even sleeping well for almost 1 week trying to fix this problem, a "BIG THANK YOU" for helping me fix this issue!

One question though, why not setting CPUs to 2 or more numbers by default if users choose Windows 10 OS?
Change number of CPUs to be used .png
Change number of CPUs to be used .png (60.84 KiB) Viewed 2891 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Please put the CPUs cores back to 2 as suggested. You have 2 cores and 4 threads. It's only the cores you should be sharing.

These are user self help forums. We can't answer questions about dev design decisions, but I do think that 2 CPU cores should be the default for most VMs.
25-8

Post by 25-8 »

mpack wrote:

Ok!

What are the disadvantages for using the threads? (VirtualBox didn't return any alert after enabling 4 CPUs)
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

25-8

Post by 25-8 »

mpack wrote:
Thank you for sharing the link!

VirtualBox should return an alert message box if users set CPUs to a number not recommended.

Anyway, I'm really liking VirtualBox and I really appreciate the good and hard work from you guys, thank you!
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

25-8 wrote:VirtualBox should return an alert message box if users set CPUs to a number not recommended.
Well, it's only a recommendation, and the VirtualBox Manager does show that with the green/red bar under the slider and a warning in the bottom of the settings dialog page.