Virtual Box Guru Meditation Critical Error worked fine for years please help

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
MaxSheepdog

Virtual Box Guru Meditation Critical Error worked fine for years please help

Post by MaxSheepdog »

Please could you help - I am just a non technical home user customer using Oracle VM Virtual Box to run Windows XP on my WIndows 7 64 PC. I would be really grateful if you could help me to fix a new message which causes my Oracle Virtual Box to crash either when Windows XP starts up or even a a minute or two when I try to launch a programme such as Quicken, I receive the message Virtual Box Guru Meditation...critical error...and then I have to allow it to close or it just freezes. But I have used the Oracle Box for years without any problem. I am not a technician and not technical at all so please help as simply as you can. I have found the logs and tried to attach them but I receive a message on this forum stating The File is too big, maximum allowed size is 128 KiB and my log file is 139 KiB So I am stuck. My PC is not new but works fine for all office and older games and the Oracle Virtualbox has worked really well for years. Thanks so much for any advice. Below is the bottom section of the log in case it helps?
00:08:42.883 VMSetError: E:\tinderbox\win-rel\src\VBox\VMM\MM.cpp(684) MMR3AdjustFixedReservation; rc=VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR_3
00:08:42.883 VMSetError: Failed to reserve physical memory (0x8484 -> 0x8480; VMMDev Heap)
00:08:42.884 VMSetError: E:\tinderbox\win-rel\src\VBox\VMM\MM.cpp(684) MMR3AdjustFixedReservation; rc=VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR_3
00:08:42.884 VMSetError: Failed to reserve physical memory (0x8484 -> 0x8084; VMMDev)
00:08:42.891 VMSetError: E:\tinderbox\win-rel\src\VBox\VMM\MM.cpp(684) MMR3AdjustFixedReservation; rc=VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR_3
00:08:42.891 VMSetError: Failed to reserve physical memory (0x8484 -> 0x484; VRam)
00:08:42.942 NAT: zone(nm:mbuf, used:0)
00:08:42.942 NAT: zone(nm:mbuf_cluster, used:0)
00:08:42.942 NAT: zone(nm:mbuf_packet, used:0)
00:08:42.942 NAT: zone(nm:mbuf_jumbo_pagesize, used:0)
00:08:42.943 NAT: zone(nm:mbuf_jumbo_9k, used:0)
00:08:42.943 NAT: zone(nm:mbuf_jumbo_16k, used:0)
00:08:42.943 VMSetError: E:\tinderbox\win-rel\src\VBox\VMM\MM.cpp(684) MMR3AdjustFixedReservation; rc=VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR_3
00:08:42.943 VMSetError: Failed to reserve physical memory (0x8484 -> 0x8404; PCNetShMem)
00:08:42.950 VMMR3Term: R0 term failed, rc=VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR_3 (-227) - Internal error no. 3.. (warning)
00:08:42.950 Changing the VM state from 'DESTROYING' to 'TERMINATED'.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Virtual Box Guru Meditation Critical Error worked fine for years please help

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
MaxSheepdog

Re: Virtual Box Guru Meditation Critical Error worked fine for years please help

Post by MaxSheepdog »

Attached is today's log file zipped (just learned how to do that :)

I know it can be a pain helping someone who is not technical but I am lost without my home accounts on the VM Virtual Box.

Thanks for your help - really appreciate it.
Attachments
XP stuff-2022-04-09-11-16-04 - Copy.zip
Log file for Virtual Box
(24.75 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

If you're using Avast or AVG AntiVirus software, search for their Troubleshooting settings and turn off Enable hardware-assisted virtualization.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Hmm. You may have set a new record for "how obsolete is my installation?". VirtualBox 3.2.0 was retired so long ago that the records no longer exist on the current download server - but in fact it was released in May 2010 (12 years ago), and support ended in June 2015 (7 years ago).

One of the downsides of VirtualBox 3.x was that it was really hard to make backups, because VM files were scattered across several folders. So it's quite amazing your VM runs (for the most part).

That said, don't go jumping into a big upgrade now. Who knows what will happen with that big a time jump.
MaxSheepdog

Post by MaxSheepdog »

fth0 wrote:If you're using Avast or AVG AntiVirus software, search for their Troubleshooting settings and turn off Enable hardware-assisted virtualization.
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! You fixed it! I can't tell you how much stress you have just taken off me now I can access my accounts after all these weeks. I have launched Oracle VM Virtual Box three times now and so far so good.

So it was an Avast Virus Software issue - you are really kind to have helped me. It might help others to have your solution starred or highlighted on this site to help other people.

Really appreciate your help - very best wishes,
Max
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

You're welcome. :)

To be fair, it wasn't me who discovered the responsible AV software setting, but other VirtualBox users. I only contributed the minor finding that VirtualBox versions before 5.0.24 exhibit another behavior (VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR_3 + MMR3AdjustFixedReservation error) instead of the ubiquitous VERR_VMM_SET_JMP_ABORTED_RESUME Guru Meditation taking place.
MaxSheepdog

Post by MaxSheepdog »

Hi, Sorry to share after your kind advice solved my problem but after working fine for 2 months my Oracle Virtual Box has started to crash again with the message, "Oracle VM Virtual Box Virtual Box Guru Meditation...critical error"...and then I have to allow it to close or it just freezes.

Your advice was to change the settings on my Avast Virus software - go to Menu at top - Settings - Troubleshooting - TURN OFF HARDWARE ASSISTED VIRTUALISATION.

It was great - everything worked well and now for the last 2 days I have received the same messages and it crashes again.
I tried disabling Avast's Virus shields but that didn't help. I uninstalled Avast using their ASW CLEAR tool and then my keyboard wouldnt work so I had to restore my PC to a previous date. I ran Virus software and Malware checkers and all seems fine - I just cant get my accounts on Oracle Virtual box to work and its causing stress.

I have a Windows 7 (64) PC

Sorry to ask but please can you help with something else I can try? Weird how it worked for years and you solved it before - I was grateful for your help.
Attached a log file.
Thanks,
Max.
Attachments
Log File 18th June XP stuff-2022-06-18-08-43-33.zip
Log File 18th June 2022
(23.53 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Please do not cross post. Cross post of above posting has been deleted.

It looks like Avast added a new feature in their latest update which quietly enables their use of virtualization again. I think it's about time you approached Avast for support on this, or find some other AV.
MaxSheepdog

Post by MaxSheepdog »

Thanks - sorry about posting in 2 places - I thought as this thread was old then no-one would see it so I thought I should create a new post. Thanks for your advice so quickly - I will try contacting AVAST now and if anyone can help with anything else I can try then that would be really kind.

Best wishes.
Max
multiOS
Volunteer
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

See: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=319980.0

Acknowledges the introduced conflict with VirtualBox 6.1.32+ by the Avast update.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

I read a little bit in the Avast Beta forum. The discussion on version 22.6.6017 indicates that as a workaround you could disable the Anti-Rootkit Shield (and possibly the Anti-Exploit Shield) and reboot the host.
MaxSheepdog

Post by MaxSheepdog »

Thanks for your help and patience. I'm running AVAST Free so I dont think it has the rootkit shield. I have tried disabling all shields but it doesn't solve the problem. I tried using AVAST CLEAR to remove AVAST completely but it wrecks the part of the registry that allows me to use my keyboard so I have to restore to an earlier date to be able to use a keyboard and then AVAST just installs itself again.

I will keep trying the AVAST forums but please keep me in mind if you think of anything we can try.

Really appreciate your help,

Max