Please add TPM Emulation (not pass through)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
DavidXanatos

Please add TPM Emulation (not pass through)

Post by DavidXanatos »

TPM pass through is a solution that helps only in some edge cases:
1. people must have a system with a TPM to begin with
2. people must care sufficiently little for their anonymity to actually allow a VM access immutable personal (or rather hardware) identification information (the EK)

So a TPM pass through is not a viable option for many.

Adding a TPM emulation is the solution here, it provides a fully virtual TPM that has no relation to the real hardware it is on, as it should be for a VM that you can take on a extern HDD from one system to an other or boot on different systems from a network share, and it works on any saystem even those without or with disabled TPMs.

Cheers
David X.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Please add TPM Emulation (not pass through)

Post by scottgus1 »

As I understand from an earlier test install of the 6.1.97 test builds (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds), the goal of TPM implementation is for either passthrough or simulation as desired. 6.1.97 is what 7.0 will be when release time comes. 7.0 will be the version to officially support TPM when it is released. The exact features of that release will be solidified at that release date. We don't know when that release date will be.
DavidXanatos

Post by DavidXanatos »

Ok but it will be able to entierly simulate a TPM on a system that does nto have or want use a tpm, ok thats good, eagerly awaiting it then :D
DavidXanatos

Post by DavidXanatos »

Well long time passed by and no new info or am i missing something?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If you are keeping up with announcements then you can't be missing something. When a new feature is available I have no doubt it will be announced.