Windows 10 sporadically freezes

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
PeterUK

Re: Windows 10 sporadically freezes

Post by PeterUK »

scottgus1 wrote:
Gelvin wrote:set Guest settings > System > Acceleration = Hyper-V
If it was "Default" before, then it would have been "Hyper-V" under the hood.
Gelvin wrote:set Guest settings > Display > Graphics controller = VBoxVGA
This probably did it, by disabling the ability of the VM to use 3D acceleration. Turning off 3D acceleration probably would do the same thing while using the default VboxSVGA.
Nope changing Acceleration to Hyper-V was it for me too I'm going to try minimal...nope just seems stable with Hyper-V but Hyper-V Hypervisor not installed only services for making VLANs

Nope still locks up only thing to do is uninstall GA
Gelvin

Post by Gelvin »

Gelvin wrote:Had the same problem with windows 10 guest in VirtualBox 7.0.6.
  • set Guest settings > Display > Graphics controller = VBoxVGA
  • set Guest settings > System > Acceleration = Hyper-V ("Hyper-V features" are disabled on my host windows machine)
  • set Guest settings > System > Processor > Execution Cap > decrease to 90% (Processor Intel Core i5-11400H)
  • set Guest settings > Storage > Storage Device > uncheck "Solid-state Drive"
One week passed. I almost believed that issue is fixed but new hard freezes appeared today.

I've managed to reproduce the issue by starting IntelliJ Idea and waiting for "Scanning files to index" to be finished:
  1. set Guest settings > Display > Graphics controller = VBoxSVGA - the highest probability to get freezes; VBoxVGA - probability is lower; VMSVGA - was not able to catch any freeze but can't dynamically resize guest OS window.
  2. start IntelliJ Idea with some mid range project preloaded (mine has ~500 files). Windows gest will stuck while IntelliJ Idea is loading or during files indexation.
Seems the issue is somehow connected with VM graphics.

Currently I work with "Graphics controller = VMSVGA". Had to use vboxmanage setextradata "[VM NAME]" CustomVideoMode1 1600x900x32 (-> reboot guest -> select new resolution under "Display Settings") to get confortable resolution.

In case new freezes appear, I will remove guest additions and try to work through RDP. If this doesn't help then the only way is the migration (File -> Export Appliance -> *.ova)

UPD:
Nothing helped. I've given up. Downgrading to VirtualBox 6.1. Had to amend VM configs to make them run in VBox 6.1
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

For problems with 7.0 graphics or seize-ups:

7.0 is still in bug-hunt phase, and graphics had a code change.

Please upgrade to the latest 7.0 Virtualbox, Extension Pack if used, and Guest Additions.

If this does not get a stable VM, try switching the 3D acceleration setting (off > on or on > off). If that stabilizes the VM, please note that this happened.

Please create a ticket in the Bugtracker with the problem description, the manufacturer and model of the host PC's graphics card, the graphics driver version (on the host OS), and a (zipped) VBox.log file.

If your host OS is Linux, please provide a zip file with the output of the 'vulkaninfo' command in the Bugtracker ticket, too. (on Debian/Ubuntu/Mint hosts, you may have to install the vulkan-tools package).

Then you could downgrade Virtualbox, Extension Pack and Guest Additions to 6.1.something, or at least the Guest Additions. 3D acceleration won't be possible if you only downgrade the GAs. For full 3D acceleration using the old stable code, downgrade all three.