Windows XP or 7 Guest will not install Guest Additions (6.1.32)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
mba08mc

Windows XP or 7 Guest will not install Guest Additions (6.1.32)

Post by mba08mc »

I am running the latest version of VB on my Windows 8.1 Host and on my macOS 12 host. When trying to install GA on my Windows XP guest on my 8.1 host, or on my Win7 guest on my macOS host, I always get the same error:

Installation Aborted

Setup was not completed successfully.

Error executing "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxDrvInst.exe" driver i... (it cuts off at i)

Execution returned exit code: 2

Error executing "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxDrvInst.exe"
Error executing "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxDrvInst.exe"

And then when I quit the installation I get this:

An error occured during installation.
Please refer to the log file under "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\install_ui.log" for more information.

*the log file is non-existent. When you follow the path, no such file exists.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows XP or 7 Guest will not install Guest Additions (6.1.32)

Post by mpack »

The Guest Additions is a driver pack, hence you will need adequate permissions to install it. Trying navigating to the GAs CD and using "Run as administrator" to run the windows installer exe.
mba08mc

Post by mba08mc »

I solvedthe issue ages ago but i found this post in my account unsolved so why not.

Solution: Instead of downloading the Guest Additions from the internet, just open the VM, click on Devices and then Insert Guest Additions CD. It should now install without any problems.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

mba08mc wrote:Solution: Instead of downloading the Guest Additions from the internet...
Yes, good solution! The GAs always come bundled with official Virtualbox, and the version included always works with the host Virtualbox (barring unexpected bugs, of course). Glad you're up and running!