Windows 11 Host, can't install Windows 10 or 11 Guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Kalyori

Windows 11 Host, can't install Windows 10 or 11 Guest

Post by Kalyori »

Hi,

I have installed two instances of Ubuntu just fine. However, I am unable to install Windows 10 or 11.

My system:
5950X, 6600 XT, SSD, 64GB RAM, WSL2 + WSLg installed (but not running during setup), Windows Hypervisor Platform enabled, tried with Hyper-V disabled (default) but also tried with it enabled.
Just installed latest version of VBOX, 6.1.32

Windows 11
  • EFI enabled
    4GB RAM
    256MB graphics memory using VBoxSVGA
    3D accel enabled
    2 cores (out of 32)
    PAE/NX enabled
    "Live CD/DVD" ticked for the Win11 iso
I have tried 4 cores, 3D accel off, PAE/NX off, Live CD off, 128MB memory, 8GB RAM, etc.
The first thing happens is that I have a few seconds to hit a key to boot from the CD. If I don't do this, it goes to the UEFI interactive shell and I have to manually go into the CD rom and run the bootx64.efi file.
Then, I see the VirtualBox logo and nothing happens for any period of time. Sometimes the logo spins a bit, other times not.

Windows 10 has a similar experience with EFI enabled. If it's off, I did once get to the install screen but it froze.

Any thoughts on why this is so difficult?

Note: I did follow this guide tit for tat: https://blogs.oracle.com/virtualization ... virtualbox but unlike in the guide I never got to the blue screen.
EDIT: 6.1.97 is still not working for Windows 11 however, I have managed to get Windows 10 to the install screen. It's pretty laggy but currently installing (fingers crossed it finishes and boots).
EDIT: No luck. Froze again. Trying 6.1.33.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 11 Host, can't install Windows 10 or 11 Guest

Post by mpack »

Kalyori wrote: The first thing happens is that I have a few seconds to hit a key to boot from the CD. If I don't do this, it goes to the UEFI interactive shell and I have to manually go into the CD rom and run the bootx64.efi file.
I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly, but IIRC, the timeout is to prevent booting from a CD. A VirtualBox guest OS needs to be installed from an CD (ISO). You can't e.g. install from a USB stick.

Let's pick one issue to solve per topic please, in this topic let's deal with Win10. I'd like to see the VM log from that. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Kalyori

Post by Kalyori »

Sounds great, thanks for the help!
Also sorry for the delay!

I have started a new Windows 10 VirtualBox VM and tried to install Windows 10.
It took about an hour to actually start installing but got stuck at 66% for several hours until I finally force shutdown the VM. (Mouse cursor wouldn't even move.)

Please see the attached zip.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(62.24 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

You're experiencing a know regression of VirtualBox 6.1.32 (see Re: Discuss the 6.1.32 release for details). Please use VirtualBox 6.1.30 instead, or VirtualBox 6.1.26 if you've also activated HVCI (Memory Integrity).
Kalyori

Post by Kalyori »

Thanks a lot. I was able to install Windows 10 after reverting to the version you mentioned.

I have noticed the VM froze during use (mouse not responsive, nothing working).

I have attached the log, if anyone has the time to have a look.

Cheers
Attachments
VBox.zip
(40.17 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Very interesting. It looks like a similar issue as the one with VirtualBox 6.1.32, only that it surfaces after the first 45 minutes of runtime.

Do you have additional audio logging or debugging enabled? Does the issue also occur if audio is disabled?
Kalyori

Post by Kalyori »

fth0 wrote:Very interesting. It looks like a similar issue as the one with VirtualBox 6.1.32, only that it surfaces after the first 45 minutes of runtime.

Do you have additional audio logging or debugging enabled? Does the issue also occur if audio is disabled?
To my knowledge, I do not have any additional debugging modes enabled.

I tested with audio disabled. The VM didn't seem to crash just leaving it open, so I went X -> Send shutdown signal.
I came to check it later and Windows seems to have decided to update but got stuck at that screen updating screen -- I left it for 5+ hours before terminating.

I've attached another log.

Cheers
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Kalyori wrote:I've attached another log.
No, you haven't. ;)
Kalyori

Post by Kalyori »

No, you haven't.
Ahhhh :lol:
I clicked 'Choose file' but not 'add' :mrgreen:
Attachments
VBox (2).zip
(41.47 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

The behavior looks similar than in your previous VBox.log file. At the moment, I have no idea what to suggest other than to wait for a fix of the similar VirtualBox 6.1.32 regression.
Kalyori

Post by Kalyori »

fth0 wrote:The behavior looks similar than in your previous VBox.log file. At the moment, I have no idea what to suggest other than to wait for a fix of the similar VirtualBox 6.1.32 regression.
Ahh bummer! Is it worth trying to roll back to a previous version again, or is that likely futile?

Thanks again for the help!
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Kalyori wrote:Is it worth trying to roll back to a previous version again, or is that likely futile?
Please re-read my first post in this thread. ;)