Cannot install VirtualBox Guest Additions 6.1.28+

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
KirkH420
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Windows 10

Cannot install VirtualBox Guest Additions 6.1.28+

Post by KirkH420 »

I dunno, I tried to install it twice to a 7ultimate guestOS and it didn't seem to work. It's been a while since I've used Vbox, but I remember things going a lot smoother. I mean, like it looks like it installed, but the tray icon for guest additions doesn't do anything. So much for drag-n-drop. The OS can't even detect a Sandisk USB flash. I figured I'd just put some files onto it and slip them into the guest OS that way... but nope. Are we not supporting older operating systems as much these days? At least I was able to transfer files through a network connection though. So I'm not totally out of luck.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Cannot install VirtualBox Guest Additions 6.1.28+

Post by scottgus1 »

Split from viewtopic.php?f=2&t=104928

Do not hijack other threads, create your own. Choose your title carefully.

All guest OS's listed in https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch03. ... tossupport should still be supported. Recently an upgrade of security hashing requirements by OS providers has thrown some monkeywrenches into the works, which the devs are working on. Some older OS's like 7 and Vista have been made able to install the newer SHA256 security requirement by getting updates from Microsoft (Vista can apparently use Server 2008 r1's update).
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

KirkH420 wrote:The OS can't even detect a Sandisk USB flash.
Then you have other problems because USB support has nothing to do with the GAs.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Couple other thoughts:
KirkH420 wrote:the tray icon for guest additions doesn't do anything.
It never did much. Its presence indicates the main Guest Additions service is running. Hovering over it makes a tooltip showing the installed version. It throws a popup if the version of the Guest Additions is older than the host Virtualbox version. That's all.
KirkH420 wrote:So much for drag-n-drop.
Guest Additions can run and there might still be problems with drag-n-drop.
KirkH420 wrote:The OS can't even detect a Sandisk USB flash.
USB basics and troubleshooting

On this topic we will deal with installing the GAs. Please start new topics regarding drag-n-drop (after we are sure that GAs are installed and running) and about the USB stick.

Start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.