Win Guest does not start

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Kimmo

Win Guest does not start

Post by Kimmo »

Hi,

I just updated the Oracle Virtual Machine Virtual Box to the latest version 6.30 and also updated the Extensions Pack to appropriate version.

But my Windows XP guest still does not start. It fails with the error VERR_SSM_LOADED_TOO_MUCH. I´ve had this problem for several months.

I have uninstalled the OVMVB and deleted ALL data from ALL possible folders (except the XP guest, of course) many times, and then reinstalled the OVNVB but with no success.

Can anybody help me, please?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Win Guest does not start

Post by scottgus1 »

Kimmo wrote:I have uninstalled the OVMVB and deleted ALL data from ALL possible folders (except the XP guest, of course) many times, and then reinstalled the OVNVB but with no success.
This won't help, because it isn't causing the problem.

VERR_SSM_LOADED_TOO_MUCH comes from the VM having a saved state, which does not survive a Virtualbox version change.

If the unsaved (not written to disk) data in the VM is not important, you can right-click the VM in the main window's VM list and choose Discard Saved State. Then the VM will start as if it had been powered off while running, not gracefully shut down.

If the unsaved data in the VM is important, you must revert Virtualbox to the version you had when the VM was last running. Then you can start the VM from its saved state, shut it down per normal methods (not save-state), then re-upgrade Virtualbox.

Note that since you deleted the existing Virtualbox folders, you may have bunged up the status quo so that even a Virtualbox downgrade to previous version may not work to get the saved-state VM running again. We call that thrashing: experimenting around to fix a problem before asking about how to fix it. Thrashing often breaks more than it fixes. Note that a web-search on "VERR_SSM_LOADED_TOO_MUCH site:forums.virtualbox.org" would have found you the solution to this, discussed as recently as yesterday.

But kudos for remembering to update the Extension Pack with the new Virtualbox version.
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Hi,

thank you very much for answering my question! Your reply solved my problem!

Br,

Kimmo
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Great! Glad you're up and running.