Problems with audio on Windows 10 guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Reiner

Problems with audio on Windows 10 guest

Post by Reiner »

Almost the same problem over here. I created an image of a notebook using Macrium Reflect and from this I created the VBox “image”. The sound on the hardware is working fine but not when starting the image.

I found that on the hardware the audio services “Intel Audio Services” as both of the Windows audio services are running while the image cannot start the Intel audio service.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Problems with audio on Windows 10 guest

Post by scottgus1 »

Your problem is not exactly the same as the Op's problem (in fact it could be very different) so this should go I. its own separate topic.

Please note that you moved an installed OS from a physical PC to a VM, so all the hardware the OS was using is now different, it's now all Virtualbox 'hardware'. The OS probably still has the drivers for the original hardware installed, which can interfere with the new 'hardware'. Uninstall all original drivers for the old hardware, see what happens.

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Reiner

Intel Audio Service with Windows 10 x64 guest

Post by Reiner »

Hi,

A few days ago, I converted a Macrium Reflect notebook image to use it with VirtualBox 6.1.30 on my Windows 10 x64 host system. But, alas, the sound didn't work. Therefore, I started searching the internet for solutions but the only one that worked was when I rolled back to VirtualBox version 6.1.16 (the one before the new implementation of the audio components).

The problem in 6.1.30 was that the Intel Audio Service wouldn't start. But I got lags or noises with the sound of, e. g. a YouTube music video. Additionally, there were video interruptions.

Just a view minutes ago I reinstalled version 6.1.30 without changing any settings and, again, there was no sound. The Intel Audio Service was not started and when I tried to start it manually I got the following result.

Screenshot of error in system protocol

The underlined sentence of this “error” translates in “The process was finished successfully”. The return value was “0”.

My audio settings for the guest are:
  • Enable audio - checked
  • Host audio driver - Windows Directsound (the only alternative available is “Null Audio Driver”)
  • Audio controller - Intel HD Audio (the alternatives are “ICH AC97” and “Soundblaster 16”). I've tried the ICH97 option but still don't get any audio
  • Extended Features:
  • Enable Audio Output - checked
  • Enable Audio Input - checked
To me it seems that the new audio implementation is still buggy.

BTW, the forum software is real crap because the “Img” for inserting images does not work!
Attachments
Screenshot - 20220110.141352.png (13.2 KiB) Viewed 2695 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Problems with audio on Windows 10 guest

Post by scottgus1 »

Topics merged. Duplicate topics aren't allowed.