Vbox error

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Krisow

Vbox error

Post by Krisow »

I took a snapshot and apparently did something wrong, i couldn't open the VM anymore after taking a snapshot and trying to delete the snapshot also gave an error.

I then read somewhere that I needed to delete the VM (but keep the files) and then put it back in by double-clicking the .vbox file of my vm.

However now I just get the error ¨Could not find an open hard disk with UUID {287b6818-0618-48bd-b5e4-0a904ef99a63}.¨

So what do I have to do now so I can put my vm back into VirtualBox and open it so my files on the vm isn't lost?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Vbox error

Post by scottgus1 »

Krisow wrote:So what do I have to do now
Restore the last working copy of the VM from your tested restorable backups, then restore changed data within the VM from your on-the-fly in-the-VM-OS tested restorable backups. Back in business!

Snapshots make a VM more delicate. If the host glitches while a snapshot is being deleted, the VM may be broken. Of course this is normal computer behavior, not endemic to snapshots only. Backups are essential.

If you don't have such robust backups, then this VM is screwed.

You might try Mpack's CloneVDI, which can clone a complete snapshot chain to a new single disk file which can be used in a new VM. It runs under Wine if you don't have a Windows host. Read the CloneVDI instructions. Try to clone the latest snapshot disk file. If that file shows an error, try the next earlier snapshot disk file, etc., until you get a good clone. Then make a new VM with that clone.
Krisow

Post by Krisow »

Can't I change something in the vm's Vbox file? Many different UUIDs in it, not sure which one I have to replace.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

One can manually edit a .vbox file, if absolutely no other Virtualbox processes are running.

We're not sure what to do either without seeing the .vbox file, and if you posted the file (in a zip) you'd have to wait for someone who has the skills to take their time to look into it. (We're all volunteers here, not paid.)

Additionally, if the missing snapshot is in the middle of the chain, then the rest of the chain is orphaned and can't be used. So an edit to the .vbox file wouldn't help.

Thus my suggestions did not include manually editing the .vbox file. But you're certainly welcome to try, of course. The VM might even boot, but the data would not be reliable.
Krisow

Post by Krisow »

I have an old version of the VHD from last June, but if I download that from the cloud. Is there even a way for me to restore the version of the vhd from today with the snapshot?

Or is it just corrupted all together?
Krisow

Post by Krisow »

I got some info out of this inaccessible VHD, the cmd says it doesn't match a specific UUID stored in the virtualbox.xml.

However, nether the VHDs UUID nor the ¨UUID thats stored¨ is in the virtualbox.xml file

Seems like I have to find the original UUID and change it with my VHDs UUID, i just have to find it somewhere else as the virtualbox.xml doesn't store it.

I'm not sure where though.

Image of CMD Screen:
https://i.imgur.com/nKwyXD8.png
Krisow

Post by Krisow »

Nvm, fixed it myself lmfao.

Just had to go into CMD, cd to virtualbox program folder and change the vhds uuid with VBOXMANAGE.EXE internalcommands sethduuid "PATH" and then I removed the snapshots from Virtual Media Manager and removed/detached the vhd from the machine and went to Snapshot area and deleted the snapshots completely.

After that, i removed the inaccessible vhd from Virtual Media Manager and then put it back into the VMM.

After I then attached it back into the VM, it worked perfectly again.
Not much coding needed, lmfao.