Win10-guest, KDE & XFCE-Host Seamless mode multiple issues

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
vec

Win10-guest, KDE & XFCE-Host Seamless mode multiple issues

Post by vec »

I use seamless mode for a win10 guest OS but I have multiple issues:

The worst is, that sometimes it just doesn't display anything in seamless-mode!
If this happens I can switch between windowed and seamless and only the windowed works.. to fix it I need to reboot the host, but sometimes even that doesn't help.
I already set the virtualbox-seamless"window" (XFCE-Panel > right click)) to be always in foreground but this doesn't do anything.
The same also happens with KDE instead of XFCE!

the 2nd issue is that most of the time when I close the last open window (when seamless-mode works) it will keep a dark-grey field (the same size as the window) shown.
vec

win10 VM Guest Additions: Bidirectional clipboard & Seamless-mode not working

Post by vec »

Host is Kubuntu 21.04 (running on X11 not Wayland)
Virtualbox: 6.1.26_Ubuntu r145957
Guest-Additions: 6.1.26

Resizing the Window works (guest is updating his resolution correctly).
Shared Folder is also working.

But:
Seamless-mode just displays nothing when enabled (it was working after I installed the guest-additions just once.. next reboot it's gone. reinstalling guest additions don't fix it.

Bidirectional clipboard just wouldn't work either way.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: win10 VM Guest Additions: Bidirectional clipboard & Seamless-mode not working

Post by scottgus1 »

It looks like we missed your previous topic on this subject, sorry about that! I have merged them.

One thing that might be an issue is that you're running Ubuntu's fork of Virtualbox, not official Virtualbox from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads. Be prepared that you might have to uninstall/purge the fork and install official (see the prerequisites https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq).

But for now, please provide a VM log:

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
vec

Re: Win10-guest, KDE & XFCE-Host Seamless mode multiple issues

Post by vec »

very interesting.. It was running without a problem for about 1.5 hours. then I did a save state and restored -> broken (also the clipboard).
then I shutdown and started again (still broken)

I just added both logs
Attachments
win10NotworkingAfterBoot.log
(89.06 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
win10fromsavestatewhereitwasworkingbefore.log
(88.53 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
vec

Re: win10 VM Guest Additions: Bidirectional clipboard & Seamless-mode not working

Post by vec »

Do you need something else?
scottgus1 wrote:It looks like we missed your previous topic on this subject, sorry about that! I have merged them.

One thing that might be an issue is that you're running Ubuntu's fork of Virtualbox, not official Virtualbox from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads. Be prepared that you might have to uninstall/purge the fork and install official (see the prerequisites https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq).

But for now, please provide a VM log:

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

vec wrote:Do you need something else?
Yes, to remember that I posted here! :lol:

Thanks for the logs. Guest Additions are required for Seamless to work. The log from saved state didn't have any Guest Additions capability reports, but the other log with a full start has this 10 seconds before the log ends:
00:00:16.398152 VMMDev: Guest Additions capability report: (0x1 -> 0x5) seamless: yes, hostWindowMapping: no, graphics: yes
So apparently GAs are ready to go seamless, and something is getting in the way.

I don't personally know what to check further, except to suggest trying official Virtualbox on the host instead of the Ubuntu fork.

You could also try enabling 3D acceleration in the VM's Display settings.
vec

Post by vec »

sadly both options don't help.