[FIXED]Made own ISO from a CD-ROM I had and I'm trying to run it on a mac host with Windows XP guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
saramos64

[FIXED]Made own ISO from a CD-ROM I had and I'm trying to run it on a mac host with Windows XP guest

Post by saramos64 »

I inserted the disk to my mac with a cd/dvd reader drive and I created a .cdr file from it's it, then tried converting it to .iso, got this error message.

Failed to open the disk image file /Path/Game.iso.

Could not get the storage format of the medium '/Path/Game.iso' (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED).

Result Code: VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80BB0005)
Component: MediumWrap
Interface: IMedium {ad47ad09-787b-44ab-b343-a082a3f2dfb1}
Callee: IVirtualBox {d0a0163f-e254-4e5b-a1f2-011cf991c38d}
Callee RC: VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)

What do I do to install it on the virtualbox?
Last edited by saramos64 on 10. Jan 2022, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Made my own ISO from a CD-ROM I had and I'm trying to run it on a mac host with Windows XP guest

Post by mpack »

saramos64 wrote: Could not get the storage format of the medium '/Path/Game.iso' (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED).
This error means that, whatever you did, the result was not a valid IS0-9660 (or later derived variants) format CD/DVD disk image.

So how exactly did you create the .cdr?

p.s. I'm reasonably sure that .cdr and .iso are the same thing anyway. I.e. there's no need for a conversion step. The VirtualBox CD mounting dialog accepts both extensions.
saramos64

Re: Made my own ISO from a CD-ROM I had and I'm trying to run it on a mac host with Windows XP guest

Post by saramos64 »

I created it through Disk Utility in mac, just by File>New>Disk image from device, I made it with no encryption and as the CD/DVD master so it's a .cdr file.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If it's a raw image of a data CD/DVD then it's already an "ISO" and nothing else needs to be done to it, you can go ahead and mount it in the optical drive of a VM.

The filename extension just helps reduce the scope of error in file open dialog box. In any case, as previously mentioned, the VirtualBox dialog has explicit support for the .cdr extension as well as the .iso extension.
saramos64

Post by saramos64 »

Well I tried with the .cdr file I made and it gives me this error:

Failed to open the disk image file /Path/Game.cdr.

Could not get the storage format of the medium '/Path/Game.cdr' (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED).

Result Code: VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80BB0005)
Component: MediumWrap
Interface: IMedium {ad47ad09-787b-44ab-b343-a082a3f2dfb1}
Callee: IVirtualBox {d0a0163f-e254-4e5b-a1f2-011cf991c38d}
Callee RC: VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)

NOTE: that the original file I made was a .cdr and I made a copy and converted it to .iso, I've ran both of them on the storage disk mount in the settings and both give me the same error
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

saramos64 wrote:VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED
mpack wrote:This error means that, whatever you did, the result was not a valid IS0-9660 (or later derived variants) format CD/DVD disk image.
Every time the error comes up, that is what it means.
Something about how you're making this CDR / ISO is not standards-compatible.
saramos64

Post by saramos64 »

Well shoot, how can I make a compatible .cdr out of the physical CD-ROM?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

That would be a subject for a web-search. (Making ISO's isn't in the scope of the forum.) Once you have a standards-compatible ISO, then we can help you use it.

On a Windows host, you could use ImgBurn to rip physical CDs and DVDs to ISO. A Mac host must have an ISO maker program that can be downloaded. Especially look for a program that will compare the new ISO to the disc, to verify it was written properly.
saramos64 wrote:medium '/Path/Game.iso'
It also strikes me that if this is a game that must have the CD present to run, then making it an ISO might not work anyway. Some games had a 'copy protection' made of bad sectors that don't copy correctly to ISO, and won't read as the game expects if it did copy to an ISO.
saramos64

Post by saramos64 »

Well I fixed the problem by taking a completely different approach. I just added my external DVD-drive in the "Ports" section in the settings and the WindowsXP guest was able to recognize it and allow to read CD-ROMs live. Here is the post I made asking and solving that problem. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=104880&p=511407#p511407