After installing Windows 11 eval, getting VirtualBox error

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
TonyATS

After installing Windows 11 eval, getting VirtualBox error

Post by TonyATS »

I installed the Windows 11 evaluation in VirtualBox, from
"Get a Windows 10 development environment"
When starting it I got this error:
Failed to open a session for the WinDev2110Eval
Call to NEMR0InitVMPPart2 failed:
VERR_NEM_INIT_FAILED
(VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED)
Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsule {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

Does anyone know anything about this error?
It's coming from VirtualBox, but I think it's a problem with the evaluation section.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: After installing Windows 11 eval, getting VirtualBox error

Post by mpack »

TonyATS wrote: It's coming from VirtualBox, but I think it's a problem with the evaluation section.
This problem is on the host, so it makes no difference that the VM is <whatever>.

The error happens because Hyper-v is enabled on the host and is conflicting with VirtualBox. There was a bug in VirtualBox 6.1.28 that made the conflict worse - we could discuss that but you don't mention your VirtualBox version. Using either 6.1.26 or 6.1.30 eliminates that bug, but the potential for a conflict with Hyper-v is always possible.

Also read: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active)
TonyATS

Post by TonyATS »

I updated Virtualbox to 6.1.30 and that seemed to take care of the problem.
I was able to run Windows 11 in it, and inside Win 11, Visual Studio Code, Visual Studio 2019, and create a project, log into my Microsoft account, and get the other things tested.
A wee bit on the slow side and when shrinking down got all fuzzy before shutting down.
:?
I'm asking myself right now: on my Windows 10 machine that can't run Windows 11, do I really want to run Windows 11 in a virtual machine? Why not just stick with Windows 10 that's relatively fast, and on my one Windows 10 machine that can take Windows 11, just do it there.
Questions that have plagued programmers since assembly language.
Thanks for your help, though.
CU later.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

TonyATS wrote:
I'm asking myself right now: on my Windows 10 machine that can't run Windows 11, do I really want to run Windows 11 in a virtual machine?
I would prefer if you asked yourself "do I really need Hyper-v on my host?" because all (properly configured) VMs will fly without it.
TonyATS

Post by TonyATS »

After reading your post I asked myself the same question.
I looked for my Hyper-V settings and found them still live.
Since I'm working with a 78 year old brain, I asked myself, "What did I use it for a multitude of years back? Doesn't matter, shut it down."
Unchecked the boxes, rebooted and started up the Windows 11 virtual machine again.
Sure, enough things seem to work a lot faster than before.

I wanted to check out an old VS 2019 program I wrote a while back, and the only way I was able to transfer the code was through "One Drive".
I was wondering if there are other ways to transfer programs from my PC to the virtual Windows 11 machine.
Do you know of other ways?
Thanks.
And thanks for the questions.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

TonyATS wrote:other ways to transfer programs from my PC to the virtual Windows 11 machine.
If you install Guest Additions in the VM, you can use Virtualbox Shared Folders, see https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... redfolders.

Or set the VM's network to Bridged or Host-Only, see https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html and Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures, then you can use a real shared folder from the host OS.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Hyper-v has a way of hiding in the shadows, even when you think it's disabled. This FAQ gives a list of things to look for FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests (see the last post, and in particular the bcdedit command).