Which hardware setup for Windows 7 VM

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
McFly3025

Which hardware setup for Windows 7 VM

Post by McFly3025 »

Hi all,

I'd like to replace an old computer due to problems with the hdds. I have to move an existing Windows 7 VM from that old machine to the new computer. On an other machine with an AMD Ryzen 9 processor there's a notification in the Windows 7 VM that the hardware is not supported. To avoid such problems I'd like to use a processor that is still supported by Windows 7. Do you have any suggestions which hardware fits best for this application? Or is there a possibility to also "virtualize" the processor that the VM recognizes it as supported hardware?
As a host I'm using Debian Linux.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards

McFly
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Which hardware setup for Windows 7 VM

Post by scottgus1 »

McFly3025 wrote:is there a possibility to also "virtualize" the processor that the VM recognizes it as supported hardware?
We'll start with this one first, the answer is easy: No. Virtualbox does not virtualize the processor. The physical CPU is seen directly by the VM OS.
McFly3025 wrote:On an other machine with an AMD Ryzen 9 processor there's a notification in the Windows 7 VM that the hardware is not supported.
Exactly how does this notification read? What hardware is being fingered? If a screenshot is needed, please use the Upload Attachment tab.

If we see the actual problem your VM is reporting, there may be some ideas to try.
McFly3025

Post by McFly3025 »

Thanks for the reply.

Here comes the error message shown in the Windows 7 VM.

Apart from this message I haven't encountered any further issues. If it stays like that, it would be acceptable for me. But for a new machine I would rather use a processor that is fully compatible.

Best regards
Attachments
8dc6f3ca-1b1d-4a94-a99c-38f412f9fb07.jpeg
8dc6f3ca-1b1d-4a94-a99c-38f412f9fb07.jpeg (45.12 KiB) Viewed 6223 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

The message says the Windows 7 OS won't get security updates because the processor is too new. Windows 7 is past Microsoft's end-of-life date anyway, so this kind of problem can be expected.

Since the message only affects updates but still seems to run, this seems the best you can get, and all you need to do is keep the VM off the internet.

You could always try a new Windows 7 VM and see how it performs.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

You can see the list of supported AMD processors for Windows 7 here. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... processors

I have never had any problems running a Windows 7 vm on modern processor host. It runs without any problems on the two PCs I use - a Intel 17-7700 and i5-10400. They also receive updates.
UpdatesWin7.png
UpdatesWin7.png (63.07 KiB) Viewed 6115 times
Bill
McFly3025

Post by McFly3025 »

Hello,

thanks for the hint with the Intel processor. I set up a new machine with the Intel Core i5 - 10400 and it works flawlessly, including updates. The only issue I have is that Debian bullseye does not support the onboard graphics yet. So I have to use an extra gpu, but that's got nothing to do with VM.

Thanks again for your help.

Best regards and happy Christmas.