Printer issue

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Orc

Printer issue

Post by Orc »

Hello everyone,

I am new user of VirtualBox so I don't know too much about this software. Bare that in mind please go easy on me.

So here is my problem:
I have a Windows 10 Home x64 as host machine and a Windows 7 SP1 x86 (up-to-date = all the updates) as guest. I also have a HP m28w wireless printer which I am trying to connect to the guest machine (Windows 7). The printer works fine on the host (Windows 10) but when I tried to install it on the guest machine the Windows 7 SP1 system doesn't see it. I tried to install it both via USB and via network but I couldn't succeed.
The VirtualBox version is 5.2.44.
Can you guys help me?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Printer issue

Post by scottgus1 »

Orc wrote:The VirtualBox version is 5.2.44
Windows 10 ought to be able to run a much later version than 5.2.44, but I wouldn't bother updating unless a real need comes up, or the problem here comes down to requiring an update, which I don't think it will.
Orc wrote:The printer works fine on the host
This is good. There are two ways to handle this: sharing the printer from the host, or having the printer exist stand-alone on the network through the Wi-Fi and letting the host and VM access the printer independently.

In either case, the VM requires compatible drivers for the printer installed in the VM's OS.

If you intend to have the printer connect to the host via USB, the best thing is to leave it connected to the host, then share the printer in the host OS over the network. Have the VM find the shared printer on the network. You have two options for networking the VM to see and access the host-shared USB-connected printer: Bridged and Host-Only. See Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures Note that Bridged may or may not work if the is host is networked using Wi-Fi. If Bridged fails, then Host-Only is the only option.

If you intend to have the printer connect via Wi-Fi on the network, and Bridged works, the VM should be able to access the Wi-Fi printer independently of the host. If Bridged does not work, then you can still share the printer on the host, and use Host-Only to access the shared printer inside the VM.

Using the USB filter to pass the printer into the VM will take it away from the host, since USB devices cannot be shared between computers.
Orc

Post by Orc »

Thanks for your answer scottgus1.
In the end I managed to find the IP of the printer and used into it's software installation program and it worked.
Thanks again.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Great! Glad you're up and running.