Can't open Windows XP: following file is missing or corrupt: Windows root>\system32\hal.dll

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
JME26

Can't open Windows XP: following file is missing or corrupt: Windows root>\system32\hal.dll

Post by JME26 »

I was running an older MAC OS software, had virtual box loaded and working great with Windows XP. The power to the house went off and on, after that I couldn't get my Mini Mac to completely power up. Apple had to reload the operating system and they loaded the new Monterey. When I tried to open Virtual box it failed immediately. I deleted and downloaded virtual box and got it working. Then a couple days later, a crew working in my house turned off the breaker to my computer. I finally got it to power up but most of my programs wouldn't load. I deleted my main drive, loaded the Monterey OS, then did a restore from time machine from a few days before. I got virtual box to load, but when I hit the green arrow, I get: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. I'm not sure if I should delete my drive again and try another restore or what to do... I have another copy of the old "Virtual Box VMs" but when I tried to use that file I got the same error. Suggestions?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Can't open Windows XP: following file is missing or corrupt: Windows root>\system32\hal.dll

Post by scottgus1 »

JME26 wrote:The power to the house went off and on, after that I couldn't get my Mini Mac to completely power up. ... a couple days later, a crew working in my house turned off the breaker to my computer. I finally got it to power up but most of my programs wouldn't load.
You really need a UPS... :D
JME26 wrote:loaded the Monterey OS
Monterey is very new and still being programmed for. Please see this from Mac forum guru Granada29: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104488#p509212

If you were able to get the Virtualbox VM loading and running and the error "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll" is happening inside the VM window, then you need to run a repair install of XP inside the VM, by booting the VM from the XP CD or ISO and running the repair (web-search how to do this).

Or restore the VDI file for the VM from your backups. If you have done this already, then your backups are corrupted, and the repair is probably the only fix.