Win 10 Dual Monitor fail with VB6.1.26

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
BradD

Win 10 Dual Monitor fail with VB6.1.26

Post by BradD »

Virtualbox version 6.1.28 r147628 (Qt5.12.8)

Host: Linux Mint 20.2
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12c/24t)
Mem: 64GB
GPU: EVGA 3080Ti (NVIDIA Driver Version: 460.91.03)
Monitors: 3 x Samsung UR55 Series 28" IPS 4K UHD Monitor (In a triple monitor 11520x2160 pixels config)

Guest: Windows 10
CPU: 4
Mem: 16GB
Display: 1 Monitor / 256MB/VboxSVGA/No 3D Acceleration

I am having a heck of a time getting a stable guest window to stay working correctly above 1400x1050. Sometimes the guest stops responding to the mouse but the odd part is I can see on the Preview window that it is responding. Right-click opens up the menu but it doesn't refresh the guest window. I have to reboot to get back to functioning. Also in full screen mode it only seems to display in 1400x1050. If I turn on 3D acceleration and start the guest then go into full screen it will then try and resize and mix up the screen in pieces.

I have tried the commands listed here. Tried many different things from other posts. There appears to be some resizing bug between Virtualbox and Windows it appears to me. I would ultimately like to have two of my 4k monitors on the Windows guest. But right now just one working would be nice. Maybe the 256Mb is getting overwhelmed?

Brad
BradD

Re: Win 10 Dual Monitor fail with VB6.1.26

Post by BradD »

BradD wrote:
I am having a heck of a time getting a stable guest window to stay working correctly above 1400x1050. Sometimes the guest stops responding to the mouse but the odd part is I can see on the Preview window that it is responding. Right-click opens up the menu but it doesn't refresh the guest window. I have to reboot to get back to functioning. Also in full screen mode it only seems to display in 1400x1050. If I turn on 3D acceleration and start the guest then go into full screen it will then try and resize and mix up the screen in pieces.

I have tried the commands listed here. Tried many different things from other posts. There appears to be some resizing bug between Virtualbox and Windows it appears to me. I would ultimately like to have two of my 4k monitors on the Windows guest. But right now just one working would be nice. Maybe the 256Mb is getting overwhelmed?
Okay so I have two 4k monitors working and somewhat stable. It appears that you do not want to use 3D Acceleration on Windows 10 based on forum post 104152. It says that DirectX 12 does not work with it. I disabled that, selected 2 monitors and booted up. Then I had to switch to "Seamless mode" then back to full screen mode and the resolutions switched to the full 4k. Only issue I have is with Adobe Photoshop. I get an error "Photoshop has encountered a problem wit the display driver and has temporarily disabled enhancements which use the graphics hardware". It then refers me to the Adobe GPU page. Sorry can't post links yet.

Will see if I can get the Adobe issue worked out.