Cannot get a file into Windows NT 4.0

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Cherrycola

Cannot get a file into Windows NT 4.0

Post by Cherrycola »

In short, I just want to know how to transfer a folder from my host machine to my Windows NT 4.0 guest machine in the most simple child-like terminology possible. (I cannot just use another operating system for the host machine because the software in this folder will only run on windows NT and I do not have access to any other version.)

Longer explanation: I'm trying to transfer a folder into windows NT 4.0 and seemingly everything I have tried has not worked. I've tried shared folders, drag and drop, and even putting the folder into an iso file and inserting it into the guest machine's drive. I've looked over the internet and found results about windows xp or 2000.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Cannot get a file into Windows NT 4.0

Post by mpack »

Install the Guest Additions (see chapter 4). Then enable a shared folder in the VM settings.

The ISO approach works too, if you created it properly. But it's a long-winded way to do things.
Cherrycola

Post by Cherrycola »

mpack wrote:Install the Guest Additions (see chapter 4). Then enable a shared folder in the VM settings.

The ISO approach works too, if you created it properly. But it's a long-winded way to do things.
I've already got the guest additions installed and enabled a shared folder. It just gives me an error.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

What error? We can't read the messages on your machine.

You say you have installed the GAs. Did you also configure the file share to this vm?
GAShare.png
GAShare.png (27.72 KiB) Viewed 3926 times
Bill
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.